Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2008, 04:20 PM

566 posts, read 1,107,483 times

Advertisements

Had them done? Lactic Acid. TCA. Glycolic. Laser?

What type? Happy with the results?

I was considering Fraxel for resurfacing, then maybe just go ahead with the CO2 laser, but I have read that the downtime is a good two weeks with peeling?

I am not sure. The DIY acid kits look interesting. But, I am not too keen on putting burning acid on my face. But, if it works...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2008, 07:04 PM

5,404 posts, read 15,995,916 times
I did 2 sessions of the Fraxel--took a week before I looked human again after each treatment.(swelling, redness, peeling...) Had no real noticable difference in the fine lines or tightness of my skin. I did lose some of the dark spots (from sun damage) that I had, but that really wasn't what I was after.
Considering what I paid, I will save my money and do a real, surgical facelift sometime in the future. This was NOT worth the pain, downtime and money! The peeling and dryness was horrible! They say you can apply makeup soon after, but it looks awful! Gets caught in the dry skin--and I mean DRY!!!! Figure a good 4 days before you want anyone to see you!

Old 10-29-2008, 07:17 AM

wo. I am so happy you replied. The way they talk about those things--they perform miracles.
I just want some minor resurfacing - not too drastic.
They say it takes awhile before the collagen begins to build, but I think the results from the co2 are better. Just takes longer to get rid of red and peeling skin. Something to do during Feb maybe?
Thanks!!!

Old 10-29-2008, 12:45 PM

15,639 posts, read 41,038,202 times
I too did the Fraxel and it's exactly what CB said! I've also done the IPL laser and really liked that a lot. I tend to gt a lot of brown spots because every time I have a competition, I start tanning 3 weeks before. The IPL also seemed to have a tightening effect and took away sme of the fine lines/wrinkles. I recommend the IPL laser, but ixnay on the Fraxel!

Old 10-29-2008, 02:15 PM

8,411 posts, read 39,262,240 times
DO NOT DIY

If you mix it wrong it can actually really peel your face off and make you look like a burn victim.
(because you will be a chemical burn one)

Have you tried all the mild stuff first?
Dermabrasion
AlphaHydroxy washes
Vitamin C brighteners
etc.

Old 10-29-2008, 02:28 PM

I have purchased the lactic acid and some TCA (15%) anything higher I think I would need sedation.
I am a big baby.

Maybe I will try it on my hand first to see how much I can actual take. You can stop the peel
immediately with a mixture of water/baking soda and slather on pet jelly or something like that.

I was hoping someone knew if you can "layer" and how long in between? I am afraid tho.

Old 10-29-2008, 07:07 PM

5,404 posts, read 15,995,916 times
If you're afraid, don't do it. Sometimes, a change of make-up colors can make you look YEARS younger!
Remember, your hands are alot tougher than your face! Be careful with that stuff!

Old 11-03-2008, 06:16 AM

5,501 posts, read 22,449,461 times
I'm interested in doing IPL laser.

Does it remove capillaries? And where do people go? Doctor or laser center?

Thanks,

Old 12-08-2009, 10:27 AM

186 posts, read 794,566 times
I see this thread is from 2008, but I wanted to post a warning of sorts about IPL treatments.

I recently had my first, and likely last, IPL treatment at a local "medspa" franchise. I was assured the clinician was competent and a doctor was on-site if needed. I was informed the side effects would be short-lived and I could return to normal activities within a day. Not so, for me. I'm late 50's, have pale olive skin with a number of brown sunspots and am not particularly sensitive. The clinician said I was a good candidate and could expect very good results. However, the pain was severe, and my skin burned unexpectedly badly following the treatment. I developed large brownish-purple marks over 80% of my face and the entire left side of my neck, as well as large, blister-like bubbles under my eyes. My neck was bright red with several open sores after a week. I was prepared for some dark marks to appear as the result of the laser treatment, but nothing like the massive marks and welts that developed. It's been 2+ weeks and most of the marks have disappeared except on my neck and I also now have a peculiar web-like patch of wrinkles on my left cheek where the scabbing was severe and a largish blotch of discoloration on my cheekbone.
I had a "drop-in" follow up visit and the clinician failed to show up, so the receptionist and another employee had a look and declared it to be "nothing". The medspa manager has since expressed concern & disappointment regarding her staff, apologised to me and offered to do whatever necessary at no cost, to correct the problems. I've voiced my worries but haven't actually complained or made demands. However, I have little confidence in the staff's competence or training. The clinician who administered my treatment was supposedly well trained in the IPL procedure but was new to the spa and the manager has now told me I would be assigned to another clinician.
I have an appt. this month with the manager to examine my damage and hopefully the doctor on staff will have input as well, although I expect he will remain mum on diagnosing damage. My next stop is my dermatologist in hope of correcting the new, oddly wrinkled patch on my cheek and the discolored blotch.
I'm the only person I've heard of to have so much trouble following IPL, but to those who are considering it, I strongly recommend you go ONLY to a fully board-certified cosmetic surgeon or dermatologist and give the new wave of "medspas" a swerve.

Old 12-08-2009, 12:23 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,034,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugnubs View Post
I see this thread is from 2008, but I wanted to post a warning of sorts about IPL treatments.

I recently had my first, and likely last, IPL treatment at a local "medspa" franchise. I was assured the clinician was competent and a doctor was on-site if needed. I was informed the side effects would be short-lived and I could return to normal activities within a day. Not so, for me. I'm late 50's, have pale olive skin with a number of brown sunspots and am not particularly sensitive. The clinician said I was a good candidate and could expect very good results. However, the pain was severe, and my skin burned unexpectedly badly following the treatment. I developed large brownish-purple marks over 80% of my face and the entire left side of my neck, as well as large, blister-like bubbles under my eyes. My neck was bright red with several open sores after a week. I was prepared for some dark marks to appear as the result of the laser treatment, but nothing like the massive marks and welts that developed. It's been 2+ weeks and most of the marks have disappeared except on my neck and I also now have a peculiar web-like patch of wrinkles on my left cheek where the scabbing was severe and a largish blotch of discoloration on my cheekbone.
I had a "drop-in" follow up visit and the clinician failed to show up, so the receptionist and another employee had a look and declared it to be "nothing". The medspa manager has since expressed concern & disappointment regarding her staff, apologised to me and offered to do whatever necessary at no cost, to correct the problems. I've voiced my worries but haven't actually complained or made demands. However, I have little confidence in the staff's competence or training. The clinician who administered my treatment was supposedly well trained in the IPL procedure but was new to the spa and the manager has now told me I would be assigned to another clinician.
I have an appt. this month with the manager to examine my damage and hopefully the doctor on staff will have input as well, although I expect he will remain mum on diagnosing damage. My next stop is my dermatologist in hope of correcting the new, oddly wrinkled patch on my cheek and the discolored blotch.
I'm the only person I've heard of to have so much trouble following IPL, but to those who are considering it, I strongly recommend you go ONLY to a fully board-certified cosmetic surgeon or dermatologist and give the new wave of "medspas" a swerve.
I hope you get better. I feel bad for you.

I am also light olive(some Italian heritage). I had IPL and it worked well. I had about 8 treatments over 3 years. It didn't get rid of the wrinkles but it evened out my complexion and dark spots/acne scars. Mine was done by an esthetician at a local spa but I knew her well and had been a client for years. Probably because I knew her well, I didn't pay a huge amount of money either so it was great for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty