Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2022, 10:18 AM

1,400 posts, read 765,996 times

Advertisements

Try Lands' End.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2022, 10:26 AM

6,830 posts, read 3,219,854 times
I wear "Redhead" brand 6 pocket shorts. They are mid thigh and have 2 deep front pockets, 2 more pockets on top of the deep pockets and 2 back pockets. For me (68), they are very comfortable and I wear them all year. I found them on Amazon.

Old 07-24-2022, 11:24 AM

11,055 posts, read 6,643,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
OP you want hiking or cargo shorts. With a minimum 9 or 10 inch inseam.
https://www.rei.com/c/womens-hiking-shorts
A woman is almost stuck with cargo shorts and pants if she wants pockets that are useful. I know it looks hokey but I want my stuff to be secure when I travel. Zipped in. Then I can avoid hauling a purse around.

But at home, I have a few pairs of knit shorts with big, deep pockets and that's all I wear. Gotta have pockets!

Yeah, the last pair of jeans I had, even my keys wouldn't fit in the useless pockets. Tears your fingers up even trying to get in them.

Old 07-24-2022, 04:30 PM

10,304 posts, read 6,837,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
A woman is almost stuck with cargo shorts and pants if she wants pockets that are useful. I know it looks hokey but I want my stuff to be secure when I travel. Zipped in. Then I can avoid hauling a purse around.

But at home, I have a few pairs of knit shorts with big, deep pockets and that's all I wear. Gotta have pockets!

Yeah, the last pair of jeans I had, even my keys wouldn't fit in the useless pockets. Tears your fingers up even trying to get in them.
Especially if you wear a diamond solitaire...

Old 07-24-2022, 05:44 PM

61,699 posts, read 87,101,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Women's pants these days no longer have deep pockets. Some "jeans" vendors, including Macy's in-house brands, have almost fake pockets made to look like the iconic 5-pocket style, but they're so shallow, they'll barely hold a set of keys.
Here is why women’s jeans don’t have pockets like men’s. There is a shocking history behind it:
The absence of functional pockets has a history that’s filled with sexism and it goes even deeper than the pockets we are "allowed" in women respective outfits.

One of the reasons listed was that deep pockets appeared too masculine to adjust to a woman’s petite shape.
It was thought that if a woman will keep something in her pant pockets, it would bulge out and disfigure her look, making her appear unappealing and bulgy.
Lol... Where are those women with petite shape, nowadays. Not the majority, anyway.

For the must-have pocket trend to boil down to the daily-wear, jeans, pants section, it will take probably a long time, around as much time as women spent without pockets.
But we’re living in revolutionary times, one is never aware of what will happen next.

https://www.postoast.com/why-womens-...ets-like-mens/

This topic was already discussed here:
https://www.city-data.com/forum/fash...ng-mens-2.html

Old 07-24-2022, 07:27 PM

6,587 posts, read 4,972,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
It’s hard to find longer shorts. I was looking Friday to get some new longer ones because I have this ridiculous bike short tan line (I wear 6-7” inseam bike shorts) and the only possibility I found had a back gap so big you could see everything. So ridiculous tan line it is…
Check out LLBean. I went there the other day and complained that they didn't have any short shorts (I'm 5'2" and their models must be 5'10" - shorts look great on them). Their shortest shorts were elastic waist which I didn't want either (not enough pockets anyway)

I really wanted these but I couldn't deal with the length. I will probably get their cargo pants though
https://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/1225...N3&csp=f&pos=5

I agree with another poster that you should look into hiking shorts.

A little more on the history of womens pockets https://www.outsideonline.com/outdoo...a5-PzPgHPLS0DY

Mod cut.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 07-29-2022 at 10:15 AM.. Reason: Orphaned (reply to post which has been deleted).

Old 07-24-2022, 08:24 PM

5,455 posts, read 3,386,497 times
Buy longer shorts. Pockets can't be deep if your shorts are short.

Stay away from discount store clothing if you want pockets at all or if they aren't try to lower expenses with less fabric and they give you shallow pockets.

Old 07-25-2022, 02:52 AM

19,023 posts, read 14,201,797 times
GET a belt pouch / fanny pack / tactical belt.
Do a google search on fanny pack with water bottle holder.
Should resolve the issue.

Check this out:
https://www.amazon.com/WATERFLY-Bott.../dp/B07H8XHR58

Old 07-25-2022, 06:39 AM

5,297 posts, read 7,630,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_am_too_sweet View Post
Why cant shorts have good pockets like pants when the only difference is one goes to the ankle and one to the knee?

And the stupid pockets on shorts are not for fashion, no one tucks in shirts anymore. You cant see the stupid BS lose your phone wallet or keys stupid shorts pockets.

I just dont get it, pants can have good deep pockets but shorts have lose your sh*t stuff falls out BS pockets.

WHY WHY WHY ??? Its the stupidest thing on earth. No one knows why shorts have sh*tty pockets.
OMG ! I am so with you on this. I haven't worn women's shorts in years because of the pockets. Thank you for writing this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post

.....snipped......
Mod cut.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitty61 View Post
Buy longer shorts. Pockets can't be deep if your shorts are short.

Stay away from discount store clothing if you want pockets at all or if they aren't try to lower expenses with less fabric and they give you shallow pockets.
For years, the best shorts I found, I bought at WalMart. They were men's shorts, 8" or 9" inseam, twill, khaki colored, relatively inexpensive and the deepest pockets in the world. You could wash them, hang them up and you were good to go. I had some that lasted 15 years, actually, a few still are in excellent shape after years of wear and laundry but, my size changed. They quit carrying them.

I lament their disappearance from the marketplace.

The same happened with ladies underwear that, for years, I purchased from Sears. They had a longer, unrestricted leg, due to some health issues I had. I order them from a catalog now, at $10 a pair and the material is so cheap.

Oh, for the old time quality of American made products. I am glad I lived during that time.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 07-29-2022 at 10:17 AM.. Reason: Orphaned (reply to post which has been deleted).

Old 07-25-2022, 09:48 AM

3,057 posts, read 2,034,410 times
YES women need pockets.
I ordered several shorts on Amaz, kept the one with 5 pockets!!
Going on a trip with hiking soon and will be able to carry phone in one pocket (cell service? maybe).
Best part besides pockets is they have 7" inseam, hard to find these days of booty shorts everywhere haha.

Am ordering another pair today.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty