Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2022, 12:15 PM

37,617 posts, read 45,996,704 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
Yes, that's what I was trying to say in my own awkward way, lol. The strap emphasizes them too much. It looks kind of tacky, but not much I can do! Like the way the shoulder-restraint in cars does.

Oh well. Just wondered if anyone else had that problem....
No. Never even thought about such a thing, even once.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2022, 04:44 PM

10,897 posts, read 7,389,984 times
I checked out how it looked today in the mirror. I think a narrower strap would look better, but the wide one distributes the weight of my purse better.

I've been looking for a new daily purse, haven't found anything I like better than my 5-year old Bagallini. It still looks new, I'm just bored with it.

Old 04-20-2022, 05:33 PM

24,562 posts, read 10,869,900 times
That was lunch bags for kindergarten.

I have done well with Mandarina Duck Herra for 35 years and thanks to SO have brand new stock for the next 20. The cheap version is Michael Kors. I will not have a purse dangle somewhere it has no business. Heavy? There are threads here. Lipstick, phone, tiny wallet (card/bills), mini compact and chap stick. Mask just in case. Car keys. It used to be less.

SO gets me a purse ever time I change jobs/move. The one I looked at last week is in the closet. Pls remember we downsized and are generally the type 1 in/1 out. Bamboo 1980's real vintage. This summer has been saved!

Old 04-21-2022, 12:03 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,161,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
I know what you mean, but how would you design a cross-body bag?

I think that shoulder bags are worse. They tend to be bigger, heavier, people naturally raise that shoulder in order to keep the strap on, but it's a never ending battle.
I agree. Shoulder bags are just a pain to carry. And the strap slips off continually. For younger women, I think a small backpack looks cute. But I don’t regard it as appropriate for me. I certainly have no problem if an older woman wants to use a backpack, though.

In this cooler climate I now live in, I wear jackets most of the time, so I don’t worry about jewelry getting in the way of my crossbody strap. In the summer, I would naturally wear less jewelry.

For me, a small crossbody with a narrow strap is the least restrictive way to carry a bag.

Old 04-26-2022, 02:06 PM

Well, I thought I had nothing more to share on this topic, but I was wrong. Today, on FB I saw cell phone video of a woman getting into her car in a parking lot. She entered her car, placing her shoulder bag on the front seat. Once she was in, the car parked beside her drove away with her purse. That car had backed into its space. As soon as she was in her front seat, someone in the other car opened the front passenger door, grabbed her purse, and immediately drove off. She lost the contents and her car keys. It happened in a couple of seconds.

For years now, I have held my keys in my hand as I go to my car. I use a small crossbody bag. I enter my car that way. Lately, I have been manually locking and unlocking my car, to prevent the code reading gizmos from picking up my code. IMO, wearing a light crossbody bag is sensible and a bit safer than using a shoulder bag. I simply can’t be bothered to worry about how the strap cuts across my chest. I am interested in convenience and safety.

Old 04-27-2022, 08:18 AM

7,566 posts, read 3,248,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
Well, I thought I had nothing more to share on this topic, but I was wrong. Today, on FB I saw cell phone video of a woman getting into her car in a parking lot. She entered her car, placing her shoulder bag on the front seat. Once she was in, the car parked beside her drove away with her purse. That car had backed into its space. As soon as she was in her front seat, someone in the other car opened the front passenger door, grabbed her purse, and immediately drove off. She lost the contents and her car keys. It happened in a couple of seconds.

For years now, I have held my keys in my hand as I go to my car. I use a small crossbody bag. I enter my car that way. Lately, I have been manually locking and unlocking my car, to prevent the code reading gizmos from picking up my code. IMO, wearing a light crossbody bag is sensible and a bit safer than using a shoulder bag. I simply can’t be bothered to worry about how the strap cuts across my chest. I am interested in convenience and safety.
Thanks for the info. I usually lock my car doors when I drive based on the situation. All doors except driver are locked. I will just make it a habit to do it all the time now.

Old 04-27-2022, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wile E. Coyote View Post
Thanks for the info. I usually lock my car doors when I drive based on the situation. All doors except driver are locked. I will just make it a habit to do it all the time now.
I think the woman did not have time to lock. She simply got in her car, putting her purse down, and in an instant, her purse was grabbed. But yes, it pays to be vigilant.

I really think more women should rethink their heavy shoulder bags. But I am not fashion queen of the world. Just be safe out there. The world has become more unsafe than I can ever remember.

Old 04-27-2022, 10:38 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,702,413 times
I’ve worn a small travel bag cross-body ever since buying one. It doesn’t want to slide off the shoulder, it would be more difficult for a thief to take away, and when I need to put something in or take it out, the whole thing is easy to shift over for access.

The big puzzle to me is this: What took so long for this to become a “thing”? The practical aspects outweigh any concerns over appearance.

With a bag hung off the same-side shoulder, forming bad walking habits is more likely, especially with much weight or bulk in the bag.

Old 04-27-2022, 10:43 AM

11,054 posts, read 6,645,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
No. Never even thought about such a thing, even once.
It's only a problem if you have that particular "endowment", so not surprised. Be glad (I know you are, lol).

Old 04-27-2022, 10:45 AM

11,054 posts, read 6,645,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
I’ve worn a small travel bag cross-body ever since buying one. It doesn’t want to slide off the shoulder, it would be more difficult for a thief to take away, and when I need to put something in or take it out, the whole thing is easy to shift over for access.

The big puzzle to me is this: What took so long for this to become a “thing”? The practical aspects outweigh any concerns over appearance.

With a bag hung off the same-side shoulder, forming bad walking habits are more likely, especially with much weight or bulk in the bag.
I wonder that too. Like with rolling suitcases----what on earth. Pilots had them since Day One and we had to wait a generation. WTH.

I don't really care how it looks but I think about it sometimes. Can't really ignore it. Got some people talking so that was the goal, lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty