Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2022, 01:41 PM

16,427 posts, read 12,539,940 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
I think I know what you're saying but that would kill my neck like the seat-belt shoulder strap does. I wouldn't want a back-pack style in any country. I haven't heard about much pick-pocketing here but I take precautions wherever I am. No sense in making it easy....I choose purses with zip closures too so it would be more awkward to get into it. For me too, lol.
I have a backpack that opens on the panel that rests against my back. Much harder for someone to access without my knowledge, especially if I wear it fairly snugly.
(Similar to this one)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2022, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
That's appalling. What area is having this crime wave? I remember there were warnings in Hawaii about that kind of thief. Waited for you to go down the cliff to the beach then ransack your car.
Outside of Raleigh in a town that has frequently has been rated as one of the best places to live for low crime. LOL

Old 03-31-2022, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
There's a lot about car break-ins in San Francisco, which has a large homeless population. I didn't know they were so expert at it, though, as to access the trunk. or that they hit cars indiscriminately, whether there's anything evident inside or not.
It doesn't take any sort of expert to access the trunk. Nearly every car has some sort of button or latch near the driver's seat that will pop the trunk, either on the dash panel, the door control panel, or on the floor board near the seat.

Old 03-31-2022, 01:52 PM

102,235 posts, read 108,076,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
It doesn't take any sort of expert to access the trunk. Nearly every car has some sort of button or latch near the driver's seat that will pop the trunk, either on the dash panel, the door control panel, or on the floor board near the seat.
Well, yeah, if you smash the driver's side window, you can just open the door yourself, and have access to everything. Pardon me, while I get caught up with this grim reality.

Old 03-31-2022, 02:11 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,202,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Why would anyone leave their purse in the car? If I have anything that looks valuable, like a shopping bag, I put it in the trunk, but it's rare that I have anything to lock away.
People here do this. People leave money, loaded guns, and women’s bags in their cars! I don’t get it.

If you wear a lightweight crossbody bag, you are less likely to feel burdened by it.

Years ago, I used to sling my heavy, leather shoulder bag into the child’s seat of a shopping cart. I don’t do that any more. My stuff is always on my person.

I paid attention yesterday and today about how my crossbody looks hanging across my rather ample chest. I don’t mind how it looks. I must be too old to care.

Old 03-31-2022, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
People here do this. People leave money, loaded guns, and women’s bags in their cars! I don’t get it.
Some people even leave the keys in the car! I had a friend who owned a Ford that had a little number pad on the door and you could use a code to unlock the car. so he would just leave the keys in the center console so he didn't have to carry them.

Old 03-31-2022, 02:34 PM

102,235 posts, read 108,076,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran;
Quote:
Some people even leave the keys in the car! I had a friend who owned a Ford that had a little number pad on the door and you could use a code to unlock the car. so he would just leave the keys in the center console so he didn't have to carry them.
This is turning out to be an interesting discussion!

Old 03-31-2022, 02:53 PM

8,757 posts, read 9,474,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post

If you wear a lightweight crossbody bag, you are less likely to feel burdened by it.

Years ago, I used to sling my heavy, leather shoulder bag into the child’s seat of a shopping cart. I don’t do that any more. My stuff is always on my person.

I paid attention yesterday and today about how my crossbody looks hanging across my rather ample chest. I don’t mind how it looks. I must be too old to care.

Agree with your points. One of the things is not to leave items in view as not to invite crimes of opportunity. Why advertise ya know. Where I go here in the area I live and shop, not much happening in the way of hand bag snatching, but, more often than not, I still try to not make it easy. I am big breasted and I no longer care as much about how the bag emphasises them. There are places I've traveled that I wouldn't ever not use a cross body bag that goes for small and large purses. And for sure, as I get up in age, I'm starting to not give a fly more and more about how some things come off to others, more important issues out there to be concerned with than me.

Old 03-31-2022, 04:11 PM

20,722 posts, read 16,402,450 times
I'm small busted (34 B) but even so, a strap running diagonally between your breasts does draw the eye.

Not a huge deal, but also, depending on what you're wearing it can cause wrinkles in blouses and sweaters. I feel like I'm looking down to see if the strap is pulling against my top or messing up my neckline, depending on what I'm wearing. It's obviously a more secure way to wear your bag but a regular shoulder strap does less "damage" to your look and your clothing.

Old 03-31-2022, 04:21 PM

17,416 posts, read 16,579,569 times
Quote:
Outside of Raleigh in a town that has frequently has been rated as one of the best places to live for low crime. LOL
Cary by any chance? Years ago we came close to moving there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty