Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2022, 06:26 AM

16,418 posts, read 12,502,320 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
In fact, there has been an uptick on purse snatchings around here, and it’s not just that your purse gets stolen, it appears as if the people who are doing the stealing have decided that it’s just as fun to beat up the person they’re stealing from. So little old ladies are getting beaten up to grab their purses. Totally unnecessary.

That made me get my new phone case. It’s got a credit card slot in the back. It is made out of of vinyl or plastic, and my love handle, which is the elastic thing that I put my fingers through sticks beautifully. It’s also a very flat handle. This allows me to tuck it into my front pocket, and my keys go into the other front pocket. And I get left alone.
Around here, police are suggesting that women carry a purse, even if they don't need one. There's been a rash of cars broken into 'smash & grab' style because thieves are looking for women who are carrying just a phone and keys. They assume that she's left her purse in the car. Parks in particular have been hit around here ... they grab the wallet out of a purse and hit 3 or 4 grocery stores to buy gift cards before she's even made it back to the car to realize what happened.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2022, 06:49 AM

12,773 posts, read 14,974,016 times
I very rarely bought crossbodies throughout my life & always loved the hobo-style w the armstrap, but I've been getting smaller-size bags for the last probably several yrs now & since COVID, only crossbodies.

I have big breasts & I know exactly what you're talking about, OP. But, I don't care about it much either. I've gotten comfortable wearing my bags that way.

Old 03-31-2022, 08:54 AM

102,210 posts, read 107,859,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
Yes, that's what I was trying to say in my own awkward way, lol. The strap emphasizes them too much. It looks kind of tacky, but not much I can do! Like the way the shoulder-restraint in cars does.

Oh well. Just wondered if anyone else had that problem....
OP, I sling the purse more to the side, and a little behind, so the strap goes across the top part of the chest, above the boobage. I've seen college students wear theirs that way, too. Another option would be a backpack-style purse.

However, I can tell you, that for your location, having a bag that's behind you may make you a target for theft if you're in a crowd. But I guess you're familiar with the local conditions, having lived where you are for years, now.

Old 03-31-2022, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
Around here, police are suggesting that women carry a purse, even if they don't need one. There's been a rash of cars broken into 'smash & grab' style because thieves are looking for women who are carrying just a phone and keys. They assume that she's left her purse in the car. Parks in particular have been hit around here ... they grab the wallet out of a purse and hit 3 or 4 grocery stores to buy gift cards before she's even made it back to the car to realize what happened.
Why would anyone leave their purse in the car? If I have anything that looks valuable, like a shopping bag, I put it in the trunk, but it's rare that I have anything to lock away.

Old 03-31-2022, 09:47 AM

16,418 posts, read 12,502,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Why would anyone leave their purse in the car? If I have anything that looks valuable, like a shopping bag, I put it in the trunk, but it's rare that I have anything to lock away.
Even if it's in your trunk, they can get to it. They're smashing the driver side window, popping the trunk, and can look in the front seat, back seat, and trunk within 10 seconds. They aren't just breaking into cars where they can see a purse.

Old 03-31-2022, 12:19 PM

11,055 posts, read 6,639,868 times
Quote:
OP, I sling the purse more to the side, and a little behind, so the strap goes across the top part of the chest, above the boobage. I've seen college students wear theirs that way, too. Another option would be a backpack-style purse.

However, I can tell you, that for your location, having a bag that's behind you may make you a target for theft if you're in a crowd. But I guess you're familiar with the local conditions, having lived where you are for years, now.
I think I know what you're saying but that would kill my neck like the seat-belt shoulder strap does. I wouldn't want a back-pack style in any country. I haven't heard about much pick-pocketing here but I take precautions wherever I am. No sense in making it easy....I choose purses with zip closures too so it would be more awkward to get into it. For me too, lol.

Old 03-31-2022, 12:20 PM

11,055 posts, read 6,639,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
Even if it's in your trunk, they can get to it. They're smashing the driver side window, popping the trunk, and can look in the front seat, back seat, and trunk within 10 seconds. They aren't just breaking into cars where they can see a purse.
That's appalling. What area is having this crime wave? I remember there were warnings in Hawaii about that kind of thief. Waited for you to go down the cliff to the beach then ransack your car.

Old 03-31-2022, 12:36 PM

5,655 posts, read 3,148,580 times
Quote:
Actually, I do that.

I walk on nature trails at lunch, and I carry my phone and my keys. I put my purse on the floor, get out, and lock the door.

Old 03-31-2022, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
That's appalling. What area is having this crime wave? I remember there were warnings in Hawaii about that kind of thief. Waited for you to go down the cliff to the beach then ransack your car.
There's a lot about car break-ins in San Francisco, which has a large homeless population. I didn't know they were so expert at it, though, as to access the trunk. or that they hit cars indiscriminately, whether there's anything evident inside or not.

I have stories to tell you about Ecuador, and the deft skillfulness of thieves. You don't even know they're there behind you, ransacking your bag, seriously. Bus stations are one place you need to be cautious. I actually don't carry anything valuable in my bag, if I have one with me, so they don't get anything for all their trouble, anyway, except business documents. And they only strike if I'm using one that looks valuable, like a nice leather one, vs. a cheap cloth Native-woven one. But maybe in your part of the country, it's not much of an issue. I was told, that after Dollarization, petty crime skyrocketed, even in the rural areas. This, from the locals, who were dismayed to see how their country was changing in character.

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 03-31-2022 at 01:49 PM..

Old 03-31-2022, 12:54 PM

3,055 posts, read 2,032,631 times
I love my crossbody purse and try not to look in mirrors lol. At 60something the utility of having free hands while grocery shopping is far beyond what anyone thinks of my body shape and I am full-figured, not thin not fat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty