Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2022, 08:20 AM

10,225 posts, read 7,587,698 times

Advertisements

I don't have time to buy a new outfit for a funeral. Looking in my closet, the following is what I've come up with. The outfits available are limited since I've lost weight the last few years and since I'm retired, have not replaced nicer clothes, like work clothes, dresses, etc., with smaller ones. Anyway, this is what I've come up with that I think may look nice and appropriate.

I have a high quality lined dark blue brushed silk (not shiny) pencil skirt that still fits okay (a little loose, but not baggy), hits perfect length (at top of knee).

I have a black brushed silk top, crew neck, that I'd tuck in loosely. Sleeves are loose, almost down to elbows.

Black leather 2" to 2.5" heels, peep toe. They look worn, but are passable. (I'll shine them up.)

I could add a black belt, or...I actually have a patterned belt that is black and blue & white.

This is not a high society funeral. I'm a member of the family so need to look proper, but not overly fancy.

Thoughts?

Do women not wear panty hose any more? If I do were hose, should they be black or skin toned? I read somewhere that skin toned hose is out of fashion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2022, 08:48 AM

3,060 posts, read 2,037,588 times
Wow the clothes you described sounds nice.
I'd wear dark hose or tights but I'm nowhere near a fashionista.

Family funerals are always good time for photographs with relatives (when else are we all together) so think about what jewelry around neck/ears will look good.

Old 03-28-2022, 09:08 AM

3,269 posts, read 1,750,300 times
My condolences on this event. At my age I've been to a few funerals, for both family or friends. Black clothing is traditional attire. Jewelry is kept to a minimum. Best wishes.

Old 03-28-2022, 01:05 PM

4,852 posts, read 3,648,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
I don't have time to buy a new outfit for a funeral. Looking in my closet, the following is what I've come up with. The outfits available are limited since I've lost weight the last few years and since I'm retired, have not replaced nicer clothes, like work clothes, dresses, etc., with smaller ones. Anyway, this is what I've come up with that I think may look nice and appropriate.

I have a high quality lined dark blue brushed silk (not shiny) pencil skirt that still fits okay (a little loose, but not baggy), hits perfect length (at top of knee).

I have a black brushed silk top, crew neck, that I'd tuck in loosely. Sleeves are loose, almost down to elbows.

Black leather 2" to 2.5" heels, peep toe. They look worn, but are passable. (I'll shine them up.)

I could add a black belt, or...I actually have a patterned belt that is black and blue & white.

This is not a high society funeral. I'm a member of the family so need to look proper, but not overly fancy.

Thoughts?

Do women not wear panty hose any more? If I do were hose, should they be black or skin toned? I read somewhere that skin toned hose is out of fashion.
Given the info, I would wear black sheer pantyhose. Maybe put on some silver fashion jewelry, etc. Skip the belt.

Old 03-28-2022, 07:09 PM

7,682 posts, read 1,271,593 times
When my uncle Flo passed away at age 90, his wife and kids collectively decided to wear navy blue instead of the traditional black as blue was my uncle's favorite color. I thought it was a wonderful way to honor him.

I'd love it if everyone wore green at my funeral....

Old 03-28-2022, 08:19 PM

15,590 posts, read 15,677,065 times
That's excellent. Hosiery would be nice, and either is fine.

And then get the older clothes taken in, without needing to replace them.

Old 03-28-2022, 08:39 PM

727 posts, read 716,373 times
My condolences.

I would wear the patterned belt because it would make it look more like an intentional outfit instead of random separates, but that's me. If the skirt is loose at the waist, a belt might help with the fit as well.

Hose for sure unless your skin tone is dark or tanned. If your legs are light, I'm torn between black sheer or skin tone hose. If the skirt is a really dark navy, black would be fine. If it's brighter than that, I think skin tone would look better. If you wear hose you would avoid ones with a reinforced toe depending on the size of the peep toe.

Agree with the silver jewelry. Something like simple hoop earrings and maybe a long silver chain since the top sounds plain.

Old 03-28-2022, 08:41 PM

10,864 posts, read 6,484,106 times
I was watching Barbara Bush funeral online the other day,I am surprised the younger generation dress like they are going to a cocktail party with low cut dress and open toe heels?
Are boobs part of the show?

Old 03-29-2022, 06:05 AM

7,991 posts, read 5,389,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daisy Grey View Post
When my uncle Flo passed away at age 90, his wife and kids collectively decided to wear navy blue instead of the traditional black as blue was my uncle's favorite color. I thought it was a wonderful way to honor him.

I'd love it if everyone wore green at my funeral....
A close friend of ours died a few years ago. He was a huge Raven's fan (football). His wife requested everyone wear purple. The sea of purple at the church and the burial site was a beautiful scene to honor him.

I hope you get your sea of green!

OP--your outfit sounds perfect. I still wear hose, I would wear sheer black.

Last edited by GiGi603; 03-29-2022 at 07:15 AM..

Old 03-29-2022, 09:28 AM

2,867 posts, read 1,541,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post

Thoughts?

This all sounds fine. I would wear the black belt and sheer black hose with it. If you wear skin-tone hose it might look a little bit more like you are going to work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty