Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2022, 07:17 AM

50,339 posts, read 63,906,560 times

Advertisements

The title pretty much says it all. Heavy, long fake eyelashes must be very uncomfortable to wear, and they look bad, to me. The subtle ones look ok.

When I see long fake nails, I think they must be very germy underneath.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2022, 07:51 AM

3,881 posts, read 4,122,405 times
I don't mind the nails so much but the eyelashes... ugh. Yrs ago, false eyelashes were used to enhance meager looking lashes and was usually done (or attempted) in a way to hopefully hide the fact that one was wearing them. Intended to look natural. Now... Looks like daddy longlegs all over someones eyes and obviously fake. Some look okay but I mean.. if you're going to have so much stuff on your face that you don't look anything like you and it's obvious.. why not just wear a mask?
Yeah... I'm expecting a thrashing for this. But it's my opinion, not a state of fact. And we all have one.

Old 01-04-2022, 08:00 AM

16,414 posts, read 12,487,571 times
I think poorly done fake nails and eyelashes look terrible. But like anything else, they can be done well.

Old 01-04-2022, 08:29 AM

9,297 posts, read 4,570,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
The title pretty much says it all. Heavy, long fake eyelashes must be very uncomfortable to wear, and they look bad, to me. The subtle ones look ok.

I hate fake nails….or even super long natural nails, but I’m a RN AND I’m in the habit of keeping clean & polished nails that are just a little long so they don’t get in the way. Love the “germy” comment. I associate long fake nails with a certain type.

I like fake eyelashes…tho it’s just an occasional thing AND they have to be done right ofc. It’s for a more dramatic look…or for a review….but I wouldn’t make them “long & heavy”. Tho most of the time I just use mascara.

Old 01-04-2022, 09:20 AM

12,038 posts, read 8,403,014 times
This article suggests that long fingernails go all the way back to the fourth century at least.

https://www.sixthtone.com/news/10093...ancient-china-

At that time they were an indication that the wearer was not obligated to work, therefore wealthy.

Not doing as much physical work it's been true for me. Now that I am retired I've enjoyed wearing mine a little longer and having time to take better care of them. But keeping them clean is a definite issue. In the summer when I do a lot of flower gardening I have to trim them back as it's impossible for me to garden with them and keep them looking nice.

I asked Chef Daughter why she trimmed hers to the quick and she told me that it's for health reasons - ensuring they don't contribute to contamination of the food she prepares.

False eyelashes are not for me. In my later years I think less is more and I work to complement what I've got. For me the ideal is to enhance, not substitute. For special occasions I have found a fawn color, wispy, eyelash extending mascara that goes on light and is just enough.

Wish I knew what gene pool my son drew from when he got his eyelashes, though. His are so long and full that we used to say he had fly swatter lashes. LOL

Old 01-04-2022, 09:51 AM

37,591 posts, read 45,950,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post

"Germy"? LOL. Long fake nails would be pretty much the same as long real nails. I have no issues with either, unless they are absurdly long. I wish I could grow my nails long, (I won't spend the money on fake ones) but I do too many things with my hands. I would love to try fake eyelashes though - not the crazy ones, just normal ones. I think they can look nice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
I think poorly done fake nails and eyelashes look terrible. But like anything else, they can be done well.
Yep. Exactly.

Old 01-04-2022, 10:02 AM

2,232 posts, read 2,401,997 times
Fake nails and lashes that are very long definitely look ghetto.

Old 01-04-2022, 10:30 AM

22,823 posts, read 6,432,246 times
Don't like either one..

Old 01-04-2022, 11:18 AM

6,811 posts, read 6,941,266 times
Overly long nails seem dirty to me. Unless the wearer scrubs under the nails every time they wash their hands, that area is a germ and filth collecting spot. My nails grow incredibly fast, but I keep them short on purpose.

As for long fake eyelashes, the ones that are super long look ridiculous. Normal length ones are ok, if the natural lashes are sparse. Just my opinion.

Old 01-04-2022, 11:18 AM

50,339 posts, read 63,906,560 times
I keep my nails short and unpolished most of the time, and I’m really appalled sometimes to see dirt under my nails. That’s what started me to thinking how filthy it must be under nails where you can’t see the dirt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty