Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-11-2021, 08:10 AM

9,297 posts, read 4,681,584 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
I hear this line a lot. "I style/color my hair for me," or "I wear makeup to feel better about myself." Well, using logic, unless you're staring into a mirror, you can't SEE your hair or your face. So, obviously, you're not doing it "for you," but for other people. It may make you feel good and give you greater self confidence, but that's solely because you perceive that it's helping you make a good impression on or please others; those who CAN see your hair and face looking "acceptable" by society's current standards. If you found yourself stranded on a desert island with hair dye and makeup, but no other people - maybe even no mirror but the surrounding water - would you really bother for long? The theory that it's "for me" and no one else always just struck me as funny and somewhat disingenuous.

Tho if I want to be healthy, stay healthy as I get older AND look good in my clothes..I have to exercise, watch my nutrition & skin care. That’s for me. But ofc it has the added part of feeling confident knowing how I look to other ppl..mostly my man. How we feel on the inside is going to show on the outside. I have more fun with makeup & styling my hair or clothes because my body is fit & healthy & that’s going to help me age better IMO.

If I was stranded on a desert island I’d still want to take care of myself because taking care of ourselves is emotional AND physical...tho ofc there would be no reason to apply makeup. I would still need sunscreen & skin care tho or I’ll age super fast if it takes a long time to rescue me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2021, 08:13 AM

22,248 posts, read 13,440,370 times
Exactly what I said. Of course exercise is for your HEALTH and therefore "for you." Makeup is for OTHERS. Glad you agree!

Old 06-11-2021, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Exactly what I said. Of course exercise is for your HEALTH and therefore "for you." Makeup is for OTHERS. Glad you agree!

BUT I was saying that ppl that don’t take care of themselves on the inside aren’t going to care about the outside. So...it is for me 1st AND other ppl 2nd. I love fashion because I know I’m healthy & fit....so it’s fun to try different styles. AND I have fun with makeup for different occasions...AND without...because I take care of my skin AND myself 1st for me.

Ppl who are overweight or don’t feel good about themselves aren’t trying to be their best because they don’t feel their best. So...emotional health is for us 1st...AND it’s a super big part of aging well IMO.

Old 06-11-2021, 08:51 AM

2,146 posts, read 1,502,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TashaPosh View Post
If I was stranded on a desert island I’d still want to take care of myself because taking care of ourselves is emotional AND physical...tho ofc there would be no reason to apply makeup. I would still need sunscreen & skin care tho or I’ll age super fast if it takes a long time to rescue me.
I have been in the WFH "desert" for over a year until recently and bless my husband, I love the man, but despite wanting to look nice for him, I still got up at some insanely early hour to bathe, fix my hair, do my make up before I hit that garage (alone) to work out at the time at 3:30 am. Would have done it if I were single. Getting yourself groomed and making it a habit despite if you were the only person on the planet is a positive thing.

We don't need to do it for anyone. But forming habits, whether exercise, eating right, grooming - all are positive.

TashaPosh, you and me are together on this one.

Old 06-11-2021, 08:51 AM

Okay. But how "fun" would fashion be if no one saw you???

Women really almost reflexively reject the idea that they're wearing makeup for others; not sure why, but my argument always runs up against vociferous resistance...

Old 06-11-2021, 09:00 AM

Who cares if no one sees us? I go running and am as slow as a turtle but in my mind, I am soaring along the road, alone, imagining and seeing all kinds of awesome things in the dawn and sunrise. Not a person around to share this with......when I was younger, I used to pretend I was an Olympic runner (of course being young I had to be there at rush hour traffic - ok bad example). My mind takes me all kinds of nice places. Some of my best memories are times alone with no one around. I would imagine that fashion can be the same way if the person enjoys it.

Old 06-11-2021, 09:03 AM

Okay.

Old 06-11-2021, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navyshow View Post
I have been in the WFH "desert" for over a year until recently and bless my husband, I love the man, but despite wanting to look nice for him, I still got up at some insanely early hour to bathe, fix my hair, do my make up before I hit that garage (alone) to work out at the time at 3:30 am. Would have done it if I were single.

I wouldn’t get up at 3:30 a.m. for anybody. When I was at the hospital on days, I’d start at 6 a.m. & I rolled out of bed the last minute I could. Mornings are not my best time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navyshow View Post
Getting yourself groomed and making it a habit despite if you were the only person on the planet is a positive thing.

We don't need to do it for anyone. But forming habits, whether exercise, eating right, grooming - all are positive.

But we aren’t the only ones on the planet. BUT I don’t know why anybody would think that emotional health isn’t just as important as the physical for aging well.

Quote:
Okay. But how "fun" would fashion be if no one saw you???

I said that fashion & makeup are for other ppl ofc BUT if I don’t take care of myself & my skin 1st....I’m not going to care about make up or looking my best because I won’t feel my best. It starts from taking care of myself 1st...you’re totally missing that part of it IMO. How we feel on the inside shows on the outside...if it’s good or bad.

Old 06-11-2021, 09:23 AM

Quote:
I wouldn’t get up at 3:30 a.m. for anybody. When I was at the hospital on days, I’d start at 6 a.m. & I rolled out of bed the last minute I could. Mornings are not my best time.
I don't get up at 3:30 am. I am gone by 3:30 am. You don't want to know what time I get up. But that's okay. Most people that hear my wake up time think I am on the "less than normal" side of life....and it is all good.

Old 06-11-2021, 09:49 AM

Quote:
I said that fashion & makeup are for other ppl ofc BUT if I don’t take care of myself & my skin 1st....I’m not going to care about make up or looking my best because I won’t feel my best. It starts from taking care of myself 1st...you’re totally missing that part of it IMO. How we feel on the inside shows on the outside...if it’s good or bad.
How am I "totally missing that part" when I agreed with you that diet and exercise, which are for one's health, are important to one's self? I simply don't agree that things that are strictly for appearances' sake are done solely for one's self (and explained why). Agree to disagree, and "methinks the lady doth protest too much."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty