Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2020, 01:05 AM

264 posts, read 100,826 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
I don't think most white women truly understand black hair. It takes an incredible amount of time & work (and often discomfort) to take care of. Not to mention expensive products.

Life's too short, wear the wig!

Black people do not need or want non-black people to understand Black culture.

What appears to be controversial is the appearance, behavior and attitudes of a subculture.

In all races, there is a sub culture who may have "unusual" attire and manner of communication, and physical appearances from tattoos, body piercings, hair extensions, breast implants, botox injections, cosmetic surgery, skin pigmentation alterations (tanning and/or bleaching), etc. etc.

Some of the afore-mentioned items may be influenced by peer pressure and/or the standard of beauty both within the sub-culture and general culture.

Old 10-27-2020, 07:49 AM

30,141 posts, read 11,770,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Oh, I know that. What puzzles me is why women would voluntarily hobble themselves in this way.

Why do lots of white women and some men find it necessary to have a tan? Often risking skin cancer to get it?

Old 10-27-2020, 08:00 AM

10,091 posts, read 6,422,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
Why do lots of white women and some men find it necessary to have a tan? Often risking skin cancer to get it?
Yes, that is an interesting question. Even if they don't actually go outside or use a tanning booth (my nephew's wife still tans herself to a leather hue - oy!), there are many self-tanning products on the market so that one can achieve an ersatz bronze hue. Everyone seems to always want to appear different (better?) than they actually are, don't they?

Old 10-27-2020, 08:57 AM

2,912 posts, read 2,045,913 times
and don't get me started on the "huge disproportionate fake behind" that women (black & white) are paying thousands for nowadays....smh. Looks ridiculous!

Old 10-27-2020, 08:57 AM

12,022 posts, read 11,564,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipaper View Post
OK, but why you didn't have a deeper conversation with her about it, since she opened the door on the topic. She also can't speak for all Black women, because they are not all the same. I know a Black woman who wears her natural hair and little to no makeup, but her best friend loves the long hair extensions, and the long nails.
It's very hard to keep the hair untangled. A lot of women will keep their natural hair short and use extensions. I had to ask a friend for advice on leave-in conditioners because my mom's hair started to get matted recently from being bed-ridden.

Old 10-27-2020, 08:59 AM

2,912 posts, read 2,045,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
Because darker (tanned) skin gives a more "exotic" look that a lot of people want. Then some people take it to the extreme Mod cut..

Last edited by PJSaturn; 10-27-2020 at 03:50 PM.. Reason: Political jab.

Old 10-27-2020, 09:31 AM

19,610 posts, read 12,210,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
They do not have to cover it. What is wrong with frizzy and course hair? It is not like they made it that way. They were born with that type of hair.

It is just they have to cover it to keep jobs(but that is changing)
It was fine in the 70s, afros, natural hair. I'm not sure when natural hair started being wrong or necessary to cover. That seems racist.? Some of the afros were too big and made the head look three sizes bigger, but otherwise a shorter afro is nice, certainly not unprofessional.

I'm sure in most cases the women who go for the long extensions, braids, nails and high maintenance things just prefer that to their natural hair and natural look.

Old 10-27-2020, 12:50 PM

5,989 posts, read 6,775,839 times
I feel very bad for AA women and the issue of trying to make their hair look other than natural. I think that short 'fros look good on AA women, and it's gotta be the easiest, least expensive hairstyle for them. But the fact is, ALL women do all sorts of painful, expensive, inconvenient things to look good, and hence feel better about themselves. It is not a Black thing. It's a woman thing.

Breast augmentations. Nose jobs. Chin implants. Ears pinned back. Tummy tucks. Tattooed on makeup. Hair removal. And I'm sure there's more. Old saying, "To be beautiful, one must suffer." It's correct.

Old 10-27-2020, 03:02 PM

5,455 posts, read 3,382,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
They do not have to cover it. What is wrong with frizzy and course hair? It is not like they made it that way. They were born with that type of hair.

It is just they have to cover it to keep jobs(but that is changing)
Good lord, lady!

Whoever the "they" is,,, anyone with coarse, frizzy hair will know what they end up doing to groom themselves. I have sisters and a mother that contend with it.

What do people (white, black, orange, blue, green) do when they have a bad hair day? Wear a ball cap and cover it up. Wear a wig and cover it up. Wear a bandana and cover it up. Wear a hairnet. Braid it. Pin it. Whatever.

People don't have to cover it up either. You just end up looking unkempt and not ready to be going out anywhere.

Everybody who wants to keep a job groom themselves accordingly. It isn't racist to ask employees to follow their dress code.

Old 10-27-2020, 09:59 PM

44,348 posts, read 20,049,980 times
This mess of a thread has been cleaned up twice and numerous off-topic, rude and orphaned posts have been deleted. The thread is now closed.

People, for the umpteenth time, I'm reminding you that you should never make sweeping generalizations about any group of people.
Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty