Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2020, 02:34 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,135,704 times

Advertisements

I wonder how many of us know or have known cancer patients who wore wigs to camouflage their hair loss? It is/was important to them to appear as normal as possible, so they put up with the discomfort. Or. They might be forced by a dress code to do so, if they work for an employer.

I think similar social forces are at play. If your friends wear long flashy nails, wigs, heavy makeup, then you will tend to conform. There is also the expectedness among the males you know. A woman’s projected image attracts males, or reflects his status if they are a couple.

I am going to theorize that social forces are the reasons for the acceptance of discomfort, expense and effort regarding appearance. The people you hang with influence how you dress and present yourself.

Old 10-25-2020, 02:47 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,011,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungalove View Post
Whenever I get a bank teller or a cashier with long, ornate nails I always compliment her on them. It always makes the person happy and I figure they put a lot of effort either into doing the nails themselves or having them done. Personally, I cut my nails off totally as I like to garden without gloves, but to each their own.
When I see nails that have obviously been painstakingly painted by hand and are very attractive, highly detailed creative art work (in my estimation), I always compliment them on the art work. Regardless of how practical or impractical the length of the nails might be, clearly somebody very creative went to a lot of effort by hand to create a thing of beauty and I appreciate that and think the artist deserves to be complimented.

And I'm like you in that I cut my nails fairly short since I do so much gardening without gloves. But my nails are gardening tools for me too, I do resort to applying strong acrylic nail polishes to my nails. It helps prevent the nails from vertically splitting or peeling, it strengthens them for the purpose of nipping, splitting, peeling and trimming plants or for raking soil with my nails, and to protect the nails from some of the harsher minerals in the soil that can permanently dye/discolour and soften the nails into nearly mush.

Old 10-25-2020, 02:56 PM

12,966 posts, read 9,645,364 times
The real question is, why is it anybody's business why people wear fake stuff, are they breaking any laws. I men honestly, who worries about stuff like that, something you have no control over. It comes down to being judgmental, and looking down on others because I don't do that. It doesn't make you any better, than these people you are looking down on for what they wear.

Old 10-25-2020, 03:06 PM

15,523 posts, read 10,489,155 times
I just think some black women are into their nails and stuff, no big deal. As long as they are having fun. You know what bugs me? Hair extensions. I notice a lot of white women wearing hair down to their butts and it looks stupid. They try to hide them under layers, but it doesn't fool anyone. Whatever floats your boat I guess, none of my business really.

Old 10-25-2020, 05:11 PM

19,609 posts, read 12,206,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
Ah, but you have overlooked an important word that I used in my post. I said their appearance speaks a certain message to their peers (their peers means their equals). What you are saying above just means they are not your peers and you don't consider them to be your peers, and they likely do not consider you to be their peer either.

I would say some of them are peers, one is an old friend. Just always into over the top makeup, nails, jewelry, etc. My mother was also like that, somewhat flamboyant in presentation. I think it is a tacky look but heck look at Dolly Parton, and she's cool.

I guess I am just practical and if I was poor and living in a dangerous area (I have been there) I would and did concentrate on my life situation and changing that rather than wasting time and money on frivolous high maintenance fashion things. I think it is worse now and a lot of women try to look as fake as possible.

Old 10-25-2020, 06:03 PM

17,533 posts, read 39,105,017 times
This thread is familiar - there was one just like it a couple years ago, possibly the same poster as I remember reading about "the little girl with the heavy fake braids." Whatever. To me, people wear this stuff because it makes them feel good, does it really matter? It certainly isn't hurting anyone.

I am a senior lady who takes belly dance, and we ALL wear "fake stuff" from time to time, in our case mostly for costume wear. Personally, I rarely do, because I am lazy that way, and lead an active lifestyle. But you know what, I sort of admire those people who do it on the regular. At least they are trying to look better and attempt to dress themselves up instead of just being a slob.

Old 10-25-2020, 06:45 PM

2,919 posts, read 2,578,360 times
Default Trending now

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I was at a gathering yesterday, where I was checking in people at a health fair. I had a lot of time to just observe people and I noticed how many Black women wear fake stuff, including eyelashes, hair and nails. Why is this?

The fake hair looks heavy, hot and uncomfortable. The long fake nails rendered some woman hardly able to hold a pen (and think of the germs!), and the eyelashes did not even attempt to look natural.

If someone was forced to wear these things, it could be considered cruel and unusual punishment, I think.

When the schools were open, I tutored reading to a second grader. She was a cute little girl, but her mother put fake braids on her that must have been heavy, and kept clanking in her face.

What is the thinking process?
It's the trend right now (in Black America for women and girls). Whatever the trend, it always turn to the EXTREME. It's sort of a "go all in" or "go home" approach to fashion and makeup. Give it time and the trend will change to something else. It always changes.

Old 10-25-2020, 07:34 PM

4,852 posts, read 3,642,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I was at a gathering yesterday, where I was checking in people at a health fair. I had a lot of time to just observe people and I noticed how many Black women wear fake stuff, including eyelashes, hair and nails. Why is this?

The fake hair looks heavy, hot and uncomfortable. The long fake nails rendered some woman hardly able to hold a pen (and think of the germs!), and the eyelashes did not even attempt to look natural.

If someone was forced to wear these things, it could be considered cruel and unusual punishment, I think.

When the schools were open, I tutored reading to a second grader. She was a cute little girl, but her mother put fake braids on her that must have been heavy, and kept clanking in her face.

What is the thinking process?
No need for a racial qualifer here. I see women wear long fake nails, dye their hair and wear extensions, mile high high-heels, boob jobs, facelifts, etc. Not a race thing.

Sort of ackward, but why do you think just women of color do this?

Old 10-25-2020, 08:02 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,308,274 times
I don't think most white women truly understand black hair. It takes an incredible amount of time & work (and often discomfort) to take care of. Not to mention expensive products.

Life's too short, wear the wig!

Old 10-25-2020, 09:55 PM

1,680 posts, read 1,791,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mschrief View Post
No need for a racial qualifer here. I see women wear long fake nails, dye their hair and wear extensions, mile high high-heels, boob jobs, facelifts, etc. Not a race thing.

Sort of ackward, but why do you think just women of color do this?

Sensational inquiry.

Women of all cultural backgrounds fashion some zany fashion. How on earth could we forget the big hair crazy, fake eyelashes or extreme art project of the face in general plastered across copius magazines for years.

European-American women have worn extensions, wigs, gaudy attire, massive breast, dyed hair, unwarranted surgery.. all of which considered bodacious. Yet- we're quick to stigmatize POC or blacks.

Candidly speaking, I enjoy the braids and uncommon styles from blacks. Warpaint (makeup) Eyelashes and ultra-nails generally appear unsightly on everyone!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty