Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2020, 09:49 AM

12,970 posts, read 9,654,415 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I’m not judging, I’m just wondering. I know ALL women wear fake hair, gel nails and lashes sometimes. Its the over-the-top way of doing it that I don’t get. It seems like self imposed torture. Especially, saddling a young child with 5# of fake hair.

I was actually sitting with a Black woman at the reception table at the time I was observing, and she’s the one who brought up the subject first. She had a wig on, but it looked natural. She keeps her real hair short. This is not the type of thing I’m talking about.
OK, but why you didn't have a deeper conversation with her about it, since she opened the door on the topic. She also can't speak for all Black women, because they are not all the same. I know a Black woman who wears her natural hair and little to no makeup, but her best friend loves the long hair extensions, and the long nails.

Old 10-25-2020, 10:00 AM

16,421 posts, read 12,507,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I’m not judging, I’m just wondering. I know ALL women wear fake hair, gel nails and lashes sometimes. Its the over-the-top way of doing it that I don’t get. It seems like self imposed torture. Especially, saddling a young child with 5# of fake hair.

I was actually sitting with a Black woman at the reception table at the time I was observing, and she’s the one who brought up the subject first. She had a wig on, but it looked natural. She keeps her real hair short. This is not the type of thing I’m talking about.
Apparently it's not as torturous as you believe it is. They like it, so they do it. And it's possible that the little girl wanted the braids.

Old 10-25-2020, 10:38 AM

15,638 posts, read 26,256,044 times
I live in a poorer neighborhood, not black, and I see that here, too. I think it is a way to lift themselves up. I can afford to go to the salon for nails. I can afford to buy long lashes to wear daily. (If I recall correctly, lashes are worn a few times then tossed).

And the men do stupid things like lease or buy high end cars. When I see a Mercedes or Lexus, my first assumption is they’re poor. So they spend all this kind of money for appearances, and live in a tiny house with a bunch of other people because they can’t afford the rent.

I’d be wrong, but I have lived in this neighborhood for 30 years, and I have seen this for 30 years.

Old 10-25-2020, 12:22 PM

19,626 posts, read 12,222,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
I live in a poorer neighborhood, not black, and I see that here, too. I think it is a way to lift themselves up. I can afford to go to the salon for nails. I can afford to buy long lashes to wear daily. (If I recall correctly, lashes are worn a few times then tossed).

And the men do stupid things like lease or buy high end cars. When I see a Mercedes or Lexus, my first assumption is they’re poor. So they spend all this kind of money for appearances, and live in a tiny house with a bunch of other people because they can’t afford the rent.

I’d be wrong, but I have lived in this neighborhood for 30 years, and I have seen this for 30 years.
Oh definitely. My neighbor had a girlfriend from the hood, fake hair, fake nails, high heels all the time, lots of gold jewelry, etc. No license, no car, no home, no job. Worse, she would ridicule people who didn't look like that or live that high maintenance appearance based lifestyle. Sorry girl we are not all so desperate. And no, you can't borrow five dollars or bum a ride. You wouldn't want to be seen with Plain Jane in a boring sedan anyway.

Old 10-25-2020, 12:47 PM

24,538 posts, read 10,859,092 times
The same here. Lots of real fake faux hair, nails and often jewelry.

Old 10-25-2020, 01:10 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,033,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post

I agree with the above assessment.

I don't think it's just a cultural, racial or ethnic thing since I see the same thing here amongst women of all types, I think it's more of an expression of status thing. The way I see it, it isn't only making a statement about what a woman (of any race) can afford financially, it's also making statements about a woman's perceived privilege, social status, personal time and personal effort expended, and it says a lot about her self-interest and outside interests (or lack of interests).

She's saying "Look at the condition of my hands and nails - see that I'm wealthy and privileged enough that I don't have to do any hard work with my hands that would otherwise ruin my nails. I have no pressure on my time, I'm bored and have plenty of time to spare in my daily activities to spend on myself with the application of accoutrements that I believe will enhance my natural appearance (nails, lashes, cosmetics, assorted hair pieces, wash out hair colours, etc.). I'm privileged enough that I can pay for the professional services/servitude of other people who have to work harder for a living to pamper me by doing things to my body than I'm not capable or am unwilling to bother doing for myself. I'm beautiful and high status, I'm high maintenance, I'm this generation's incarnation of Queen Cleopatra and I am so cool, secure and better than all those other women who don't have the wherewithal to waste on looking like me."

Now the statement she's making with her appearance about what she can financially afford may or may not be true - she could be putting herself into terrible debt with her expenditures (like those poor men with the expensive fancy cars and manly toys are doing in order to gain status among their own peers) - but that isn't what her appearance says about her to her peers (until they get to know her a lot better).

Old 10-25-2020, 01:51 PM

19,626 posts, read 12,222,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
I agree with the above assessment.

I don't think it's just a cultural, racial or ethnic thing since I see the same thing here amongst women of all types, I think it's more of an expression of status thing. The way I see it, it isn't only making a statement about what a woman (of any race) can afford financially, it's also making statements about a woman's perceived privilege, social status, personal time and personal effort expended, and it says a lot about her self-interest and outside interests (or lack of interests).

She's saying "Look at the condition of my hands and nails - see that I'm wealthy and privileged enough that I don't have to do any hard work with my hands that would otherwise ruin my nails. I have no pressure on my time, I'm bored and have plenty of time to spare in my daily activities to spend on myself with the application of accoutrements that I believe will enhance my natural appearance (nails, lashes, cosmetics, assorted hair pieces, wash out hair colours, etc.). I'm privileged enough that I can pay for the professional services/servitude of other people who have to work harder for a living to pamper me by doing things to my body than I'm not capable or am unwilling to bother doing for myself. I'm beautiful and high status, I'm high maintenance, I'm this generation's incarnation of Queen Cleopatra and I am so cool, secure and better than all those other women who don't have the wherewithal to waste on looking like me."

Now the statement she's making with her appearance about what she can financially afford may or may not be true - she could be putting herself into terrible debt with her expenditures (like those poor men with the expensive fancy cars and manly toys are doing in order to gain status among their own peers) - but that isn't what her appearance says about her to her peers (until they get to know her a lot better).

It is to me and where I'm from - that stuff overdone is considered trashy and has been perceived that way for some time.

Old 10-25-2020, 01:55 PM

10,093 posts, read 6,431,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgordeeva View Post
Yeah, I don't get the really long fake nails... They would drive me crazy! I don't know how you do anything with them...not to mention how much money you have to spend every month on them.

I don't dislike the look of fake lashes as long as they're not over the top... They're very annoying to put on though, so I don't know how women do it all the time.
Whenever I get a bank teller or a cashier with long, ornate nails I always compliment her on them. It always makes the person happy and I figure they put a lot of effort either into doing the nails themselves or having them done. Personally, I cut my nails off totally as I like to garden without gloves, but to each their own.

Old 10-25-2020, 02:13 PM

19,028 posts, read 27,592,838 times
This reminds me of Russian Boyary. Those were noblemen, that wore very particularly crafted caftans. Reason they had those sleeves - absolutely impractical - was to show, that they do not do any physical work. Indeed, it was impossible to do so, with that particular style.

Old 10-25-2020, 02:21 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,033,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
It is to me and where I'm from - that stuff overdone is considered trashy and has been perceived that way for some time.
Ah, but you have overlooked an important word that I used in my post. I said their appearance speaks a certain message to their peers (their peers means their equals). What you are saying above just means they are not your peers and you don't consider them to be your peers, and they likely do not consider you to be their peer either.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty