Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2020, 04:53 AM

3,881 posts, read 4,132,067 times

Advertisements

Ancient Egyptians used it. In the Bible, in the book of Esther women were using it to appeal to the king.

It's been around a long time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2020, 06:19 AM

18,532 posts, read 18,768,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by writerwife View Post
Ancient Egyptians used it. In the Bible, in the book of Esther women were using it to appeal to the king.

Men also used it.. dont know whether to appeal to the king right enough.. and through history men have wore makeup... it makes us feel good. if we have imperfections.. I like mascara as it opens up my eyes and makes me look more awake and a bit younger.. allthough years ago I hid behind makeup big time.. as didnt like how I appeared naturally to others it gave me confidence..

Old 06-26-2020, 07:05 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,338,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney123 View Post
I am just glad that we have men to explain why we wear make up.... I was very confused.
I do believe Susan Sontag was a woman.

Old 06-26-2020, 07:40 AM

8,775 posts, read 5,068,013 times
I have not worn lipstick, since this facemask thing. That would be a real mess.

Old 06-26-2020, 07:50 AM

9,297 posts, read 4,587,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcandme View Post
I have not worn lipstick, since this facemask thing. That would be a real mess.

I've worn it at home....I've had to get in video for a staff meeting with my new employer AND to follow up with post surgical care for patients.

I also wore it for our 1st time out to dinner in months recently...

Old 06-26-2020, 08:19 AM

2,117 posts, read 1,462,650 times
Who would have thought that people question or put so much thought into something like wearing makeup. I just wear it as part of my daily routine and do not think about what men think or why I wear it. It is part of my daily morning activities like brushing teeth and showering. I don't give it a second thought.

My time when I was unprepared was when I got up late one weekend morning, threw on a wrinkled tee shirt, put my slept on hair up, had cortisone ointment slathered all over my face for an eczema breakout. Went to the track and ran. I am not running to look good for people. Anyhow this team of Adonis's rode up on their bikes (obviously a triathlon group) to do some sprint and interval training on the track. I cringed in humiliation. I know they did not notice me or care. I moved to the outside lane of the track. But it was humiliating being in the presence of these men when I was at my utmost slovenly grossest worst. That is why it is always a favor to yourself to be cleaned up and decently groomed. Makeup to me is just part of grooming.

Old 06-26-2020, 10:41 AM

2,479 posts, read 2,215,508 times
Default To look better?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterfall8324 View Post
I'm male, but I was having a conversation about this with others and the answers they gave weren't satisfactory.

On some occasions a get how it could help add blush to skin and cover a bruise or whatever, but beyond that (in my humble opinion) it turns into a clown show.

Every women I met has been more attractive to guys I know without lipstick or heavy eye shadow or whatever else there is.

I'm not saying everyone is a natural beauty, and brushing hair or making yourself clean is good, but at some level masking your face with dyes and paint becomes off putting.

I knew someone who was really cute, but when she dressed up and made herself up It became distasteful.

I get doing it if your in a theater play or something but most guys I speak to share my opinion that lipstick and whatnot detracts from a women's overall aesthetic.

Do my make-up, please.

Old 06-26-2020, 02:04 PM

15,507 posts, read 6,439,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by writerwife View Post

It was bad back then as well.

Even the 1950s housewife who had to doll herself up was really unattractive.

Masking your face doesn't just make it seem unnatural, but also immobile and stale in some ways.

But I agree with what other people are saying, a little bit can boost a natural aesthetic more than doing nothing.

Old 06-26-2020, 03:21 PM

9,297 posts, read 4,587,939 times
O.P.......what percentage of men do you think are like you & don't like women in makeup?

IMO......maybe super strict & religious beliefs & stuff like that would be part of it. Do you think so?

Old 06-26-2020, 03:39 PM

11,163 posts, read 7,974,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
I do believe Susan Sontag was a woman.
When was she ordained to speak for the rest of us?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty