Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2020, 02:26 PM

11,230 posts, read 9,373,610 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
Why does it please some men to grow a beard? Or shave their head? It"s a personal expression, no more, no less.
Do you really think there's no cultural history or long standing ingrained cultural biases at work in the choice of facial hair and hair length for men? Did you somehow miss the entire decade of the 1960s?

Has it ever occurred to you that there might be something other than "personal expression" in the fact that - for an example - all US presidents from George Washington through James Buchanan were clean-shaven or at most had a small moustache, then all US presidents from Abraham Lincoln through Grover Cleveland had luxuriant facial hair, then all US presidents from William McKinley to today (except TR's moustache) have been clean-shaven? Why do you think Amish men and Orthodox Jews typically grow out their beards, while US Marines and fundamentalist evangelists don't?

Wow. Just...wow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2020, 02:30 PM

11,165 posts, read 7,997,265 times
I am just glad that we have men to explain why we wear make up.... I was very confused.

Old 06-25-2020, 02:31 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,106,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
Because it goes deeper than that. WHY does it please them? What's behind that?
Why should anyone else care about that? You said yourself in an earlier post here where you linked to psychology today:

Quote:

At it's most basic level make up is meant to subtlety mimic a state of sexual readiness, the flush of blood that makes cheeks and lips brighter or fuller and marks arousal.
Is that what you believe? I believe it is a valid statement in connection with young people who are trying to attract mates to have sexual relationships with and procreate with. But what about the not so subtle 85 year old woman who has made her face up so grotesquely that she looks like a caricature of herself? Is she trying to mimic a state of sexual readiness? Maybe, but probably not. She is doing it because it pleases her.

Now let's use this not so subtle young model as an example (the model whose face was posted earlier in the thread ---> https://external-content.duckduckgo....jpg&f=1&nofb=1 )

First of all I must confess that face looks like a caricature of a woman's face and I question whether or not that is the face of a woman or a man that is trying to make himself look like a woman (female impersonator). Frankly I think it's a young man who has had his face sculpted and got a lot of people bamboozled with his artistic cosmetic talent, but be that as it may or not -

Other than the fact that the model is profiting from his/her efforts, why should anyone care about why this young person is trying to influence young women to make their faces look like caricatures or parodies of the human female face the way she has done with her own face? Will most young women want to look like that to attract a mate? Would it please people to look like caricatures of theirselves? I think most people wouldn't be pleased to appear so, but if it does please you to look like that and you aren't hurting anyone else by appearing so, then why should anyone else question your happiness and want to invade your privacy and dig deeper into the psychology of what makes you tick and what your state of mental health is? Does it help the questioners to have a better understanding of human nature if they ask, why do women wear makeup?

Last edited by Zoisite; 06-25-2020 at 02:46 PM..

Old 06-25-2020, 02:31 PM

9,297 posts, read 4,604,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney123 View Post
I am just glad that we have men to explain why we wear make up.... I was very confused.

Love this too!

Old 06-25-2020, 02:42 PM

29,764 posts, read 34,480,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post

Wow. Just...wow.
Oh, please. We're not talking about historical American presidents and religious sects. Right now, in 2020, in the general population, hairstyle and beard growth is a man's personal choice. As is makeup and hairstyle for a woman.

Old 06-25-2020, 02:47 PM

24,154 posts, read 32,574,102 times
Quote:
None, but I don't need one to realize that reacting in opposition or defiance is still reacting. If someone has no control over me I don't react to their thoughts or opinions.
I understand the difference. When someone tailgates me in traffic I can react by slowing down to **** them off, or I can choose not to react and simply keep doing what I was doing before they started tailgating, which one puts me in the position of not letting someone else affect/control me?
"None"? It shows in your comments.

Why is women's make up so important to you? What does it represent in YOUR life? Why does this thread keep calling to you?

I am here because I am a woman who wears a moderate amount of makeup.

What's your deal?

Old 06-25-2020, 02:51 PM
Status: "It's WARY, or LEERY (weary means tired)" (set 2 days ago)

16,090 posts, read 21,212,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
Why should anyone else care about that? You said yourself in an earlier post here where you linked to psychology today:

Is that what you believe? I believe it is a valid statement in connection with young people who are trying to attract mates to have sexual relationships with and procreate with. But what about the not so subtle 85 year old woman who has made her face up so grotesquely that she looks like a caricature of herself? Is she trying to mimic a state of sexual readiness? Maybe, but probably not. She is doing it because it pleases her.
I agree with it, yes. Makeup goes a lot further back than when 'people thought it was promiscuous'.
But again, why does it please the 85 yr old?
I don't care if people enjoy wearing makeup, but stating that "I enjoy it' is not a reason in and of itself. Why such resistance to examining the reasons?
I find the history of make up and fashion interesting and have read extensively on it. Marketing is also an interesting topic. Makeup is about much more than a superficial 'because I like it'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
"None"? It shows in your comments.

Why is women's make up so important to you? What does it represent in YOUR life? Why does this thread keep calling to you?

I am here because I am a woman who wears a moderate amount of makeup.

What's your deal?
I guess it calls to me because I do find it tiresome that women who wear makeup always seem to think they obviously know more about the subject than women who don't. As if not wearing it somehow makes us ignorant about it.
I don't need a degree to have an informed opinion, just because you don't agree with it doesn't make you 'more' right.

Old 06-25-2020, 02:53 PM

24,154 posts, read 32,574,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney123 View Post
I am just glad that we have men to explain why we wear makeup.... I was very confused.
I am turning the question around.

What is their interest in WOMEN'S MAKE UP?

Old 06-25-2020, 03:03 PM

11,230 posts, read 9,373,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
Oh, please. We're not talking about historical American presidents and religious sects. Right now, in 2020, in the general population, hairstyle and beard growth is a man's personal choice. As is makeup and hairstyle for a woman.
Y'all just don't want anyone to ask "why", do you?

Why does one guy want to grow a giant hipster beard and the next one wants a crew cut and shaves? Come on. Why do they make these choices?

You can try to deny the acting of the subconscious, you can try to deny that cultural messages passed down through generations get loaded into the subconscious, but it's still under there driving you.

The only chance you have of making your own conscious decisions is to recognize its existence and try to understand what messages it's giving you.

But that's OK, just keep standing on "personal choice".

Old 06-25-2020, 03:13 PM

2,075 posts, read 1,874,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
Do you really think there's no cultural history or long standing ingrained cultural biases at work in the choice of facial hair and hair length for men? Did you somehow miss the entire decade of the 1960s?

Has it ever occurred to you that there might be something other than "personal expression" in the fact that - for an example - all US presidents from George Washington through James Buchanan were clean-shaven or at most had a small moustache, then all US presidents from Abraham Lincoln through Grover Cleveland had luxuriant facial hair, then all US presidents from William McKinley to today (except TR's moustache) have been clean-shaven? Why do you think Amish men and Orthodox Jews typically grow out their beards, while US Marines and fundamentalist evangelists don't?

Wow. Just...wow.

Some of these reasons for beards are due to particular religious observance, rather than custom, style or cultural traditions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty