Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2020, 03:14 PM

19,029 posts, read 14,250,053 times

Advertisements

"The dapper man uses Dapper Dan!"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2020, 03:28 PM

11,165 posts, read 7,995,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
I am turning the question around.

What is their interest in WOMEN'S MAKE UP?
I still think it’s just an excuse to control because they’re afraid that if their woman looks too attractive some other guy is going to notice her... can’t have that!

Old 06-25-2020, 04:51 PM

335 posts, read 188,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
The deeply ingrained social and cultural behaviors I'm talking about don't change because "it's 2020 for pete's sake". I'm talking about ways of thinking and behaving that are based on a time when there was no birth control, when the disparity in physical strength between women and men meant a great deal, when death from childbirth meant women's life expectancy was far lower than men's. Do you REALLY think that the last 100 years of change are going to wipe out the programming of the previous 100,000 years of human history?
Okay, let's play. 100,000 years ago we were all running around naked. Somehow, we reprogrammed ourselves with religion and all that good stuff to wear clothes.

Just like norms and society can be reprogrammed, progress or change, women's reasons for wearing makeup could be just like you picking out your favorite sports jersey. IMAGINE THAT!!!!!

Old 06-25-2020, 08:22 PM

6,480 posts, read 4,013,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
When men say they want "natural" beauty, what they are actually envisioning is the natural beauty of 17- year old skin. A 45-year old woman's natural skin, in almost all instances, is a different thing, entirely.
They're also envisioning women who are pretty anyway. You know, the ones who boast that they're so edgy because they don't wear makeup... when they don't need to because on their worst day they're already beautiful, have great eyelashes and rosy lips naturally, never look tired, they can ride in a convertible on the freeway at 80 mph for an hour and when they get out their hair falls perfectly into place, etc. These men want a woman who doesn't wear makeup because she never needs to.

Ha, we even had a thread a while ago from a guy who kept insisting he wanted a tomboyish woman who didn't dress up all girly (basically who dressed almost like a guy) and could hang with the guys... but of course it came out that she also had to be beautiful even though she shouldn't be the makeup-wearing type.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
I agree with it, yes. Makeup goes a lot further back than when 'people thought it was promiscuous'.
But again, why does it please the 85 yr old?
I don't care if people enjoy wearing makeup, but stating that "I enjoy it' is not a reason in and of itself. Why such resistance to examining the reasons?
I find the history of make up and fashion interesting and have read extensively on it. Marketing is also an interesting topic. Makeup is about much more than a superficial 'because I like it'.
The real question is, why do you think complete strangers owe you an explanation for what they do?

Old 06-25-2020, 09:36 PM

24,153 posts, read 32,574,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney123 View Post
I still think it’s just an excuse to control because they’re afraid that if their woman looks too attractive some other guy is going to notice her... can’t have that!
My thought exactly. Control.

Old 06-25-2020, 09:48 PM

11,165 posts, read 7,995,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
My thought exactly. Control.
Right... been there, got the T-shirt.

Old 06-25-2020, 11:25 PM

11,025 posts, read 7,865,358 times
While we're at it, what American area has the highest percentage of women wearing more than minimal makeup on a daily basis? My thoughts are either Dallas or Atlanta.

Old 06-26-2020, 02:39 AM

6,895 posts, read 5,882,828 times
In no particular order, and not all-inclusive:
To conceal or downplay perceived flaws
To enhance or draw attention to assets
To look more attractive
Because it's an expectation in one's workplace or social circle
To look older or younger
To look healthier
To express creativity
To look more striking in pictures/video or on stage
To present a particular persona or image
Because it's fashionable

If you prefer the look of a woman without makeup, that's fine, but you should be aware that whether a woman chooses to wear makeup or not, and what sort of makeup she wears, isn't about you or your preferences.

Old 06-26-2020, 02:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
Honestly, if I was totally natural, I'd have fcompletely frizzy hair, caterpillar eyebrows, and a couple of goat hairs growing out of my chin. I don't think that's what people like the OP mean by "natural." It's more like, "try, but don't look like you try too hard."
Yeah. I've found that if you press a dude who says he prefers the look of women without cosmetics to show his ideal, it almost always is someone who has shaped eyebrows, hair that's been styled with product, a face that's been depilated in some manner, teeth that have been whitened, and some subtle makeup like concealer, low-key mascara, powder, lip gloss, etc. It's never actually someone who doesn't use any cosmetics.

Or the photo has clearly been touched up.

Old 06-26-2020, 03:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Sheena, I"m only going to quibble with a couple of details, here. RE: the history of makeup and its "acceptability" and popularization, that happened after the film industry evolved to the point of needing a new kind of makeup. Through the20's and 30's, it was mainly only Hollywood that used makeup, and it was still stigmatized for general use by women, until Max Factor, whose career was tied to Hollywood and its changing needs make-up -wise (for subtler forms of it, as cameras & film quality improved), invented a type of makeup that could be used every day. It was almost the 40's, at that point. I looked it up just now, to check to see if my own understanding of this history was correct.
https://www.beautylish.com/a/vxspr/t...-of-max-factor
Yeah, but in the 1800s and early 1900s it was still typical for ladies to use cream and face powders, and it was common to darken light brows and lashes and subtly tint the cheeks and lips. It was bright, obvious makeup that was considered unacceptable, not makeup in general, except among more puritanical subsets of society. And if you go back to the 1700s, upper class British and French woman were basically painting themselves, fashions which carried over to the American colonies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty