Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-06-2019, 09:08 AM

11,129 posts, read 9,764,095 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Belmont View Post
May be big hoop earrings are a fetish to me. I don’ t know. I love it when a woman wears them (not a man). It really makes me hot.

That’s what I love so much about my girlfriend. She wears her big hoops very frequently, when we’re together. But not all the time, because they don’t fit in every situation.

I remember she was wearing her big hoops when I met her. And when we kissed for the first time. That made me so happy. I never had a girlfriend with big hoop earrings. Most of the women who were wearing big hoop earrings, acted like a *****. And didn't like me at all. Like her girlfriend. But she was different. She was really interested in me. That was something I had never experienced before, with a women.

It’s no problem for me not wearing big hoop earrings at work. I’m happy that it’s allowed to wear the hoops that I wear nowadays. They’re not small, for a man, like studs. But it would be great if I had no doubt about wearing big hoop earrings in private. Not only at home. Or at clubbing, because I think it would be nice to show my hoops in there. But not in the evening outside the club! Then I would be scared to be beaten up.
It sounds to me like you've answered your own question.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2019, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
A kilt is absolutely appropriate, and quite normal to see on a man. We have many men that wear kilts here. No one bats and I, and I actually think they’re kind of sexy.
Where is "here"? They are pretty rare in most of the US. I've seen maybe 2 men in kilts in my life unless it was part of a Scottish cultural thing, or at the Renaissance Faire. It was rare enough that it caught my attention. I don't see any advantage The strangest part to me was it was less than 40 degrees outside when I saw that fellow. I don't wear a skirt in cold weather and I'm a woman. I don't see the upside for a man to wear a kilt, other than Scottish tradition.

Last edited by TheShadow; 12-06-2019 at 10:06 AM..

Old 12-06-2019, 04:23 PM

4,927 posts, read 5,315,080 times
Quote:
I didn’t read the book of Bink, but I’m really a Darwin adept. I didn’t read his book too, On the origin of species, but what I know about it, really impresses me.

In that case, I think big hoop earrings don’t belong to men. Just like dresses and high heels. It are things that women normally wear, so men can see what’s standing in front of them. Just like women can recognize a man by short(er) hair, trousers and some muscles.

So if people say, get over your gender-issue, it conflicts with the ancient part of our brain. It get confused, don’t’ t know if has to deal with a man or women.

I know, it sound great, wear whatever you want. And I think everybody has to feel free to do so. But there is an other side. The things we’ve agreed in the past.

May be the church is part of this problem. Or solution, just how you see it. Because no government could do it, or wouldn’t, they put something about this on paper. And because no one wanted to go to hell, in times people believed it was possible, everybody followed their rules. And in this way, these rules got recorded in our brain.

So it really confuses me. I want to be free, and wear big hoop earrings, but I want to be part of the normal society al well.
Time to pick your poison and if it doesn't work out, whichever you choose, you can always change it again.

Old 12-07-2019, 06:21 AM

37,617 posts, read 46,006,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
Where is "here"? They are pretty rare in most of the US. I've seen maybe 2 men in kilts in my life unless it was part of a Scottish cultural thing, or at the Renaissance Faire. It was rare enough that it caught my attention. I don't see any advantage The strangest part to me was it was less than 40 degrees outside when I saw that fellow. I don't wear a skirt in cold weather and I'm a woman. I don't see the upside for a man to wear a kilt, other than Scottish tradition.
I’m in VA. I see men wearing kilts at many weddings and funerals, and ceremonies. No one bats an eye at them.

Old 12-07-2019, 07:13 AM

Quote:
I’m in VA. I see men wearing kilts at many weddings and funerals, and ceremonies. No one bats an eye at them.
That's what I meant by a Scottish heritage or traditional thing. They are usually wearing tartan plaids and playing bagpipes at those ceremonies. I've seen a few who celebrate their Scottish heritage wear their kilts at their wedding too. I meant guys just going about everyday life, like work or at the grocery store. The gentleman I saw was wearing black denim cargo kilt (many, many pockets) boarding my flight at the airport. And it was only 33 degrees outside. I sure didn't see any women wearing skirts that day. It's fine, just very different/unusual. But if you wear something, anything, far from the norm, don't be surprised by people who stare, do a double take, giggle, etc.

Old 12-07-2019, 08:11 AM

23,867 posts, read 33,568,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
I find earrings on guys ugly but you do you. And your gf likes it, so ... who cares what others think?

Do what makes you happy. Yes, you will get odd looks and comments, you have to grow a thick skin. I had a spike piercing outside under my lower lip in my 20s. People stared and made comments, so what. I liked it.
I like the left ear pierced but not both.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoNative34 View Post
You'll look ridiculous. No.
Agree

Quote:
I agree with the hefty price tag. So I’m having a hard time, making a choice between what I want and what’s wise to do.

I’m not scared that people think it’s gay. I never see gay people with big hoop earrings. So I think they say it’s gay, because they have no other word for it.

I’m more afraid that people think that I rather be a girl/women (what’s not true). Because this evokes much more resistance, it’s much more difficult. And makes it more complicated to wear big hoop earrings.

Or strange people make a picture of me with their cell phone. And start laughing about what they’ve just photographed.
I wouldn't think you were gay. I'd be thinking you're transitioning to be a woman. Honestly, I don't see you starting a trend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonyforest View Post
The bigger the hoops the better. Work on your "man" bun and throw on a sundress to really be comfortable and trendy. If I see you, I won't laugh in your face, just smirk to myself...free entertainment.
I don't doubt most people would think this way. Men just don't wear large hoop earrings. Honestly, I don't like them on women either, especially the huge ones that are passed the person's shoulder. When you see them, all you can concentrate on is that huge hoop earring that's twisting their ear lobe.

Old 12-07-2019, 08:43 AM

20,722 posts, read 16,377,752 times
Quote:
Okay...but at weddings and ceremonies they become somewhat of a costume - that's different than wearing one casually to go to a sporting event (not log tossing!), grocery store, or work.

[Sorry, Shadow - I see you had the same thought!]

Old 12-07-2019, 08:45 AM

3,070 posts, read 2,401,124 times
Wear them on Halloween when you dress up as a pirate. Put on a puffy shirt, too.

Old 12-07-2019, 08:52 AM

10,897 posts, read 7,393,957 times
I think it's sad that men have so few options to dress with flair these days.

Historically, men got to dress as flamboyantly as they liked, in yellow satin breeches or velvet coats, topped off with precious jewelry.

Most men are intimidated by a "what others might think", so they never express themselves.

Go for it.

Old 12-07-2019, 11:03 AM

2,117 posts, read 1,323,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
I saw a guy at the airport wearing a black denim kilt. When he wasn't looking I took a picture. Be ready for that sort of reaction. Do you work? How will this go over with your employer?
I don't think nowadays all employers care much about men, women having earrings even on their nose or tongue, long hair, short hair, purple, blue, red, orange, green hair, tattoos. As long as they can do their job, employers are okay with that.

I have a female manager who has tattoos all over her front, back, shoulders to her wrists. She does her job alright. And there's an employee who's in the recreation who has a ring on her nose, a stud on her tongue and wears different colour, or many colours on her hair, every day. The boss does not say anything. She does her job okay.

One time I went to a drug store, there was this guy who had eye brows drawn beautifully, eye makeup, earrings and very red lips. He looked very beautiful.

Now people just have to get used to what they think it's "abnormal". Nothing is "normal" anymore. I think as long as you don't do anything harmful to anyone, that's okay. People like to be "creative" nowadays.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty