Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2019, 11:39 AM

14,735 posts, read 15,087,838 times

Advertisements

This here grandma whose motto is "I don't care what other people call them, any kind of jeans will do for me as long as they're comfortable and practical" wants to know about something else. In the quote in the OP's first post there is the comment:

".... Yep, I can’t thumb through Instagram these days without spotting an It girl wearing “grandpa” jeans..... "

What I want to know is what is an It girl and how did It girls get to be called It? Is It the name of some fashion magazine or something like that and are these It girls all models?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2019, 11:55 AM

9,297 posts, read 4,598,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
This here grandma whose motto is "I don't care what other people call them, any kind of jeans will do for me as long as they're comfortable and practical" wants to know about something else. In the quote in the OP's first post there is the comment:

".... Yep, I can’t thumb through Instagram these days without spotting an It girl wearing “grandpa” jeans..... "

What I want to know is what is an It girl and how did It girls get to be called It? Is It the name of some fashion magazine or something like that and are these It girls all models?

Popular...like she is “it” right now.....because she is trending or has lots of followers or people have to talk about her.....they can be celebrities but they are not always & they aren’t always models....

She’s “it” because she has sex appeal...personality....style.....other girls want to be like her & some just want to take her down out of jealousy....so hateful comments are kinda common on social media even tho they will have lots of followers.....

But Grandpa jeans aren’t always worn by “it” girls....IMO, it’s a really bad look.....only to be worn if someone older wants to be comfortable......

Old 10-03-2019, 12:53 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,652,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
Grandpa jeans look the same as boyfriend jeans, to me.
But light blue wash.

Old 10-03-2019, 01:00 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,652,264 times
My dad's a grandpa.

He wears $12 Rustlers from Rural King or Walmart.

Old 10-03-2019, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
Grandpa jeans look the same as boyfriend jeans, to me.
They are two completely different styles..........that is why they have different names.....

Old 10-03-2019, 01:26 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,087,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TashaPosh View Post
Popular...like she is “it” right now.....because she is trending or has lots of followers or people have to talk about her.....they can be celebrities but they are not always & they aren’t always models....

She’s “it” because she has sex appeal...personality....style.....other girls want to be like her & some just want to take her down out of jealousy....so hateful comments are kinda common on social media even tho they will have lots of followers.....

But Grandpa jeans aren’t always worn by “it” girls....IMO, it’s a really bad look.....only to be worn if someone older wants to be comfortable......

Thank you for the explanation. Then an it girl today is still what used to be called an it girl from the late 1920's onwards, or more commonly known as a society girl from before 100 years ago. I guess some terms never lose their meanings even after a century of use. I just looked up society girl and got this indepth wiki article came up about It girls - some short excerpts from it quoted below.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/It_girl

Quote:
It (1927 film)

The Paramount Studios film was planned as a special showcase for its popular star Clara Bow, and her spectacular performance introduced the term "It" to the cultural lexicon. The film plays with the notion that "It" is a quality which eschews definitions and categories; consequently, the girl portrayed by Bow is an amalgam of an ingenue and a femme fatale, with a touch of Madonna's latter day "Material Girl" incarnation. By contrast, Bow's rival in the script is equally young and comely (and rich and well-bred to boot), yet she doesn't have "It".

Modern "It Girls"

Since the 1990s, It Girl or It-Girl has been used slightly differently, referring to a wealthy, normally unemployed, young woman who is pictured in tabloids going to many parties often in the company of other celebrities, receiving media coverage in spite of no real personal achievements or TV hosting / presenting. The writer William Donaldson observed that, having initially been coined in the 1920s, the term was applied in the 1990s to describe "a young woman of noticeable 'sex appeal' who occupied herself by shoe shopping and party-going". The prominence of an "It Girl" is often temporary; some of the rising It Girls will either become fully-fledged celebrities, commonly initially via engineering appearances on reality TV shows or series; lacking such an accelerant, their popularity will normally fade.

PS - apologies to everyone for side tracking the original topic but I just had to ask once I saw that It girl in the original post.

Old 10-03-2019, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Thank you for the explanation. Then an it girl today is still what used to be called an it girl from the late 1920's onwards, or more commonly known as a society girl from before 100 years ago. I guess some terms never lose their meanings even after a century of use. I just looked up society girl and got this indepth wiki article came up about It girls - some short excerpts from it quoted below.

It’s different than a society girl....from the old days.....because there was no social media then or trending....or followers.....so...a society girl was more about being a celebrity or rich.

An it girl today.....almost always relates to social media & followers....& she doesn’t have to be rich but she is trendy....(like wearing grandpa jeans or Bf jeans).....& can make a lot of money on social media sites.....

It’s popularity.....more than status.......

Old 10-03-2019, 05:39 PM

11,655 posts, read 12,733,935 times
Quote:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/It_girl

PS - apologies to everyone for side tracking the original topic but I just had to ask once I saw that It girl in the original post.

I was thinking the same thing. It girl to me means Clara Bow or a flapper. It really does have the same premise. Paris Hilton was an It Girl. During the 1920s, photos of It Girls were published in the newspapers (remember there used to be morning, afternoon, and evening editions) and often they were society girls or daughters of parents who were in society because trendsetters were not ethnic factory girls. It's basically the same today, young girls who are famous for being famous, except the platforms are social media sites, not newspapers or newsreels.

Old 10-08-2019, 01:18 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,515,594 times
Definitely not flattering

Old 10-08-2019, 01:42 PM

11,230 posts, read 9,360,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
I was thinking the same thing. It girl to me means Clara Bow or a flapper. It really does have the same premise. Paris Hilton was an It Girl. During the 1920s, photos of It Girls were published in the newspapers (remember there used to be morning, afternoon, and evening editions) and often they were society girls or daughters of parents who were in society because trendsetters were not ethnic factory girls. It's basically the same today, young girls who are famous for being famous, except the platforms are social media sites, not newspapers or newsreels.
But...but...but...

We're Millennials! Everything we do is new and innovative and hip! Don't tell me my new expression is 90 years old! ARRRRRGGGGHHH!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty