Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2019, 08:44 AM

27,073 posts, read 12,049,522 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spuggy View Post
Well here is the outfit
https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/woma...230309684.html

Since the chain does not have a dress code I’d say the chain was in the wrong here,and looking at the actual outfit much ado about nothing.
Same here. What's the deal?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2019, 08:47 AM

1,299 posts, read 832,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
This is absolutely body shaming.

My point was that young women her age wear clothing like that all the time. The only reason it was an issue was her size. And that's no one else's business, if she felt comfortable wearing clothing that other young women wear. She's not "falling out of" her clothing just because they are on a larger body.
I agree. A skinny teenager in that same outfit wouldn't have gotten a second glance. I feel bad for her, because she obviously thought she looked good (I don't, but my opinion doesn't really matter either!)

My 24 year old has left the house over the years in outfits that made me cringe sometimes, but learning how to dress is part of growing up.

As for me, a 50 something - I dress very much for comfort, but! I always check the mirror, and even though I may be wearing a unisex t-shirt and gym shorts, I make sure they fit me well and have as good a silhouette as possible (for an overweight 50s woman). Even my scrubs for work. I know my manner of dress - aka extremely casual - bugs some people, but too bad. My SIL once commented that my clothes are always "so" loose. Yes, and? lol For me, they fit properly, they aren't clinging, they aren't tight. I'm comfortable that way, and I don't show off my rolls. Which seem to be the fashion right now. I often see quite thin women who wear items of clothing so tight you can see a small roll across their bra strap on their back or a muffin top. I've never understood that, I admit. A holdover from my mother, who drilled it into me that a well-fitted item of clothing always looks trimmer and tidier than one that is a bit too tight.

Old 06-06-2019, 08:58 AM

41,109 posts, read 25,889,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bondaroo View Post
I agree. A skinny teenager in that same outfit wouldn't have gotten a second glance. I feel bad for her, because she obviously thought she looked good (I don't, but my opinion doesn't really matter either!)
She thought she looked good? Sorry, I'm not trying to be mean. I've seen heavy women who are very pretty and dress beautifully but this isn't it and it is not appropriate for a restaurant. But hey, that's my opinion.

Old 06-06-2019, 09:21 AM

7,357 posts, read 7,004,949 times
How I dress is my identification .
Do you notice that some people are not recognized in public you normally see in a uniform behind a counter or work ?
They might even smile at you but you have no idea who they are wearing something other then that uniform .
What I wear is what I think of as my uniform ,day in and day out .only a slight variation of coats for the winter months if needed.
Dark T shirt , Levi's, tennis shoes or a variation there of .

I happen to have the look of other men apparently so by being consistent in my apparel there is a differentiation in appearance.
Also I like what I wear ,It fits me as a mechanic, and in the circumstances I deal with on and off the job. and though I'm retired ,I still do variations of mechanical work ,so I am never out of uniform so to speak .

Old 06-06-2019, 09:28 AM

2,575 posts, read 2,104,775 times
I dress how I want and follow trends if I want. I do dress appropriate for the situation.

I'm in my 20's. A few weeks ago I wore a slightly cropped top and high-waist jeans to a concert. I'd never wear that to work, obviously.

I probably don't like your bermuda shorts. Different strokes for different folks.

Old 06-06-2019, 09:41 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
45,039 posts, read 82,269,993 times
I don't care a bit about current fashion trends, and I like to dress for comfort. Still, I have respect for others, and would not go out in public with dirty, ragged clothes, or exposing anything that might disgust people or as in the case of that article, make them sick.

Old 06-06-2019, 09:59 AM

11,578 posts, read 6,813,373 times
I care to a certain extent, but when it comes down to it I wear what I like and what I feel comfortable in. The only persons opinion I really care about would be my husband.

Old 06-06-2019, 10:09 AM

6,345 posts, read 4,273,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
She thought she looked good? Sorry, I'm not trying to be mean. I've seen heavy women who are very pretty and dress beautifully but this isn't it and it is not appropriate for a restaurant. But hey, that's my opinion.
You are claiming what she wore wasn't appropriate to wear in this country, the usa? I may not like her outfit but it's tame compared to what I see some people wearing in restaurants, cafe's and fast food places around this country. This particular chain has no stated dress code, so if they don't want women to wear short skirts or shorts and tops that show cleavage then they need to post it.

Old 06-06-2019, 10:15 AM

6,345 posts, read 4,273,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
I don't care a bit about current fashion trends, and I like to dress for comfort. Still, I have respect for others, and would not go out in public with dirty, ragged clothes, or exposing anything that might disgust people or as in the case of that article, make them sick.
her outfit didn't make customers sick, ONE customer complained, but seriously seeing this outfit would make you sick?
https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/woma...230309684.html

I have seen men with t shirts and guts hanging down to their knees, wearing shorts and flip flops scarfing down food like it was a pig trough. Seriously if another customer bothers you swap your seat or move to another table out of sight.

Old 06-06-2019, 10:27 AM

30,585 posts, read 25,426,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YorktownGal View Post
It's not body shaming if she is falling out of her cloths.

I would compare her to a guy with a beer belly with his shirt too short and pants too low. Would he be asked to leave? Maybe. Maybe not. It's a hard call to make. I guarantee he would have been noticed.
No, it is body shaming. That is exactly what it is. If she were slim, she would not have been asked to leave.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty