Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2019, 04:09 PM

22,732 posts, read 24,847,085 times

Advertisements

NOPE, could not care less................my rotting Frankenboots are still my only shoes, having been
repaired with epoxy for the last 2 or so years. Maybe they will last until I croak?!?!?!?!

Look, stare, I-DON'T-REALLY-GIVE-A-****.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2019, 04:14 PM

3,211 posts, read 3,021,734 times
As to being fashionable or not, I don't care what other thinks and never have. I dress for my own comfort, wearing fabrics and colors that I find pleasing.

Old 06-08-2019, 04:48 PM

13,309 posts, read 8,595,779 times
I care when:
In a court hearing.
When being presentable at an awards event. No daisy dukes there!
When I need to show respectability at social occasions. Baptism,wedding,funerals,graduation. Fund raisers.

Sadly my aunt is right...you can dress me up...but by the time I am out and about..I have some mishap . I can't be prestine no matter how much I try. Coffee spills, makeup smudge.

Give me Lee jeans and a flannel shirt and I'm good to go .

Old 06-08-2019, 09:02 PM

1,516 posts, read 1,258,588 times
Yes, I care. I want to look modest and presentable for the specific occasion. If a birthday, I'd wear a dress or skirt and blouse. For a casual day out, jeans a casual shirt, cardigan and sneakers.

I would never really show stomach skin or wear something shorter than mid thigh. I also avoid skin tight clothing and find it uncomfortable.

My friend once had an intern show up to her company in leggings, an oversized hoodie and a crop top. She was astonished. The girl's outfit was better suited for the gym.

Old 06-12-2019, 11:30 PM

6,491 posts, read 5,205,025 times
…Kind of.

I don't personally care what I'm wearing. But I know that if I go out, I might want to take a selfie with some interesting object I find for social media, or I might run into some friends, or I might see someone I find attractive, and I know that these people will think of me as more confident and capable if I'm dressed well. At the very least, I feel less insecure when running into a group of socially well-adjusted young people if I am.

So if I'm running out to the store to pick up some groceries and coming right back, I won't bother dressing well. If I'm gonna be out all day in a well-trafficked area of town, I will.

Old 06-15-2019, 10:23 AM

57 posts, read 78,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
This thread was prompted by a thread now on Current Events in which a middle-aged and overweight woman was kicked out of a Golden Corral due to wearing a skimpy outfit that many people would consider to be unattractive on her.

Leaving the right or wrong of a restaurant acting as some sort of fashion police out of it, how many of you try to dress in public according to what you think most people would find attractive or unattractive?

(And please also leave out opinions as to what is okay and not okay based on body type, as I do not want this to turn into any kind of body shaming thread!)
I don't care if people like my outfit or not.
But you need to dress appropriately for situations.
That girl was dressed appropriately for the drive through.
Or she was dressed appropriately to eat at a picnic table from a food truck.
She was not dressed appropriately for indoor dining.

Old 06-17-2019, 10:33 AM

30,585 posts, read 25,450,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Btsts View Post
I don't care if people like my outfit or not.
But you need to dress appropriately for situations.
That girl was dressed appropriately for the drive through.
Or she was dressed appropriately to eat at a picnic table from a food truck.
She was not dressed appropriately for indoor dining.
Well, of course, I agree with you.

But appropriateness is often in the eye of the beholder.

I do not think she should have been reproached by the restaurant manager, in a place where dress is quite casual and there is no dress code.

Old 06-17-2019, 03:22 PM

120 posts, read 66,425 times
No. That's ridiculous. But I wont go out looking like a Walmart shopper either.

Old 06-17-2019, 07:16 PM

15,714 posts, read 10,525,884 times
I care how I dress in public. how we present ourselves in the world, including our clothing, speaks to how we feel about ourselves.

Old 06-17-2019, 07:54 PM

749 posts, read 861,110 times
Sure I care at least a little, living in a resort area it is easy to get sick of seeing folks walk off a beach straight into a grocery store, etc, geezz- a sarong, a shirt would lessen the involuntary scolding looks and stop tracking sand all over the place - animals! lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty