Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2019, 04:50 PM

4,985 posts, read 3,989,109 times

Advertisements

agree with Sassybluesy....
"I do. I try to dress appropriately for the situation/location/occupation, etc."

essentially, i have found that better dressers get better service.

i noticed this over 20 years ago during a hospital visit (for my father-in-law).
those who "upped their game" got more attention and reduced wait times.
from that day on....i decided to dress for the occasion. it does not always
work out to my advantage, however, overall it does; especially restaurants.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2019, 05:21 PM

6,319 posts, read 4,228,894 times
Fashions and fads change but the offense to them doesn’t lol

“Eventually, the English crown felt the need to intervene, in part because of the lascivious connotations that the increasingly extended toe-tips carried. “People thought the longer the toe, the more masculine the wearer,” Shawcross says. “But some people weren’t keen on that connotation.” Parliament equated wearing the shoes to public indecency, and stepped forward to put limits on a variety of racy fashions: “No person under the estate of lord, including knights, esquires, and gentlemen, to wear any gown, jacket, or coat which does not cover the genitals and buttocks. Also not to wear any shoes or boots with pikes longer than two inches. No tailor to make such a short garment, or stuffed doublet, and no shoemaker to make such pikes,” the 1463 law reads. The only other city known to have taken a stand against the shoes was Paris, which had banned them in 1368.“

https://www.atlasobscura.com/article...cF3eid4-SJu2lE

Old 06-05-2019, 05:24 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,159,276 times
I am fashionable but I don't care what anyone else thinks.

Old 06-05-2019, 06:50 PM

24,147 posts, read 32,626,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
This thread was prompted by a thread now on Current Events in which a middle-aged and overweight woman was kicked out of a Golden Corral due to wearing a skimpy outfit that many people would consider to be unattractive on her.

Leaving the right or wrong of a restaurant acting as some sort of fashion police out of it, how many of you try to dress in public according to what you think most people would find attractive or unattractive?

(And please also leave out opinions as to what is okay and not okay based on body type, as I do not want this to turn into any kind of body shaming thread!)

I think the outfit was totally inappropriate to wear ANY where. This is not about "Fashion Police". No, it's not about her body. I don't want to see an 18 year old in perfect shape dressed like that.

I NEVER dressed that way. Bikinis on a beach? Sure. Thongs? Not for me. More stuff I don't want to see.

That get up in front of strangers? Just no. Why would anyone want people to see so much of them?

Most people dress for themselves. I am one of them. If others like what I am wearing, that's nice! If they tell me so, I usually feel good.

I have never been to Golden Coral. It's not my type of restaurant. However, I am sure that out door clothes are required. This also involves courtesy towards others.

Old 06-05-2019, 07:20 PM

14,375 posts, read 18,427,240 times
Comfortable and reasonably flattering is all I care about. I like fitted jeans, skechers brand shoes, light-weight t-shirts (I layer in winter) and hoodies. I dress like I'm a disaffected teenager in some respects, but I like it.

Golden Corral has no dress code, so throwing that woman out was purely a subjective matter of taste. I've seen a lot more obscene outfits, and good lord, it was Golden Corral. She had all the important bits covered - they just didn't like how it looked. Should not have been her problem. Jeez, if I walked in there and asked them to kick out all the people wearing Confederate flags to leave because I found it distasteful, would they comply? Doubt it.

Old 06-05-2019, 07:44 PM

15,567 posts, read 10,563,361 times
I could care less. As long as the clothes are clean, I'm good to go.

Old 06-05-2019, 08:17 PM

999 posts, read 556,502 times
I dress with one thing in mind: Comfort.

I guess attractiveness plays a role because I feel most attractive when I'm comfortable, happy, and relaxed.

Old 06-05-2019, 08:25 PM

3,055 posts, read 2,942,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
how many of you try to dress in public according to what you think most people would find attractive or unattractive?
I try to dress in what I think looks good on me. It just so happens that other people find it attractive as well. I don't know how many times I've gotten compliments on my outfit from people at work (I work as a floater pharmacist so most of these people I don't know very well, many of them I would just meet that day), and sometimes even from patients. So it seems like I just have good taste, which works for me. I'll take it.

Old 06-05-2019, 08:48 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,271,176 times
Well, I always dress modestly, so never in my life would I have worn the outfit the aggrieved GC customer was wearing, to any restaurant. In general, I do consider the event or occasion I am dressing for. But I do dress casually.

Sometimes I am taken aback by others’ dress. But I am not the fashion police. If someone wants to look foolish or bizarre in public, it is a free country. If a restaurant has a dress code, I suppose they have that right. The fact that GC had NO dress code, but still took offense at a customer’s dress is contradictory. People offend others by the way they dress all the time. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve seen unshaven, unshorn men barely in their pants, in public. I know of no cases of men being tossed out of a place because of their manner of dress.

Some people think that large women should veil themselves in shame. But large women do not owe anyone a visual apology for existing in plain view.

Old 06-05-2019, 09:37 PM

9,297 posts, read 4,617,089 times
I care about what I think & how I feel when I'm wearing it....& if it's appropriate for the occasion. I also care if my Bf likes it. Other than that, what other people think doesn't matter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty