Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2019, 09:20 PM

6,311 posts, read 4,215,212 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
No, it is body shaming. That is exactly what it is. If she were slim, she would not have been asked to leave.
I just saw a woman at a restaurant in Scottsdale with a much skimpier outfit and no, she wasn’t tossed out , she sat and enjoyed her meal undisturbed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2019, 12:36 AM

1,425 posts, read 1,389,381 times
I don't care what people think, rather I care to not make them think I'm retarded, so I wear appropriate clothes.

Old 06-08-2019, 03:28 AM

5,428 posts, read 3,508,978 times
It depends on the occasion. If I’m going for a job interview or a social event then I most certainly do. If it’s just to go out casually, then no, not really.

Old 06-08-2019, 09:35 AM

30,585 posts, read 25,219,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pete98146 View Post
The more that I travel and meet others from different countries, I more I realize that folks in the USA are REALLY and I mean REALLY sloppy dressers. It's changed me my attitudes on how I dress and present myself. Now I take comfort knowing that if I leave the house, I'm usually well dressed in a nice pair of pants, nice shirt and nice shoes. Yes, it does make me feel better.
I agree with this! We have access to decent clothing at all price levels, but often we see people out and about scarcely put together., or even scarcely dressed. It is what it is, and I can’t change things. I just try to take care of me.

Do I care what others’ think of how I dress? Not so much. I do not dress to attract attention. I do dress to please myself. I might try on something and take it off to choose something else before I like the way I look. But I don’t think about how other people might regard my clothing. I do try to look appropriately dressed at memorial services where I think pull on athletic pants are not appropriate. But at this time in my life, I dress casually 99% of the time.

Old 06-08-2019, 09:39 AM

29,759 posts, read 34,459,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pete98146 View Post
The more that I travel and meet others from different countries, I more I realize that folks in the USA are REALLY and I mean REALLY sloppy dressers. It's changed me my attitudes on how I dress and present myself. Now I take comfort knowing that if I leave the house, I'm usually well dressed in a nice pair of pants, nice shirt and nice shoes. Yes, it does make me feel better.
American tourists are usually easy to identify by their white gym shoes. My proudest moment on a trip to London was being mistaken for a local--once I opened my mouth to reveal my American accent, the woman said, "we can usually spot you by your shoes."

Old 06-08-2019, 09:52 AM

5,544 posts, read 8,327,798 times
I like to dress to look attractive and appropriate to the place where I will be. I stick to the classics and add colors for the season. When I buy new I am trying for a capsule wardrobe and minimization in all things, home and clothing.

to the downside of that, I still wear dresses and find that sometimes I am the only one in a dress. Felt a bit overdressed. But to answer your question, I do not care what others think beyond maintaining decency in my garb so to speak.

Old 06-08-2019, 10:04 AM

30,585 posts, read 25,219,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
American tourists are usually easy to identify by their white gym shoes. My proudest moment on a trip to London was being mistaken for a local--once I opened my mouth to reveal my American accent, the woman said, "we can usually spot you by your shoes."
The white shoe thing, which we used to see in seniors, is not as prevalent. You can buy comfortable walking shoes in many colors now.

But I did tell DH that he was not allowed to walk around in white athletic sneakers. To me that looked too much like my parents’ generation! This would have been between 10 and 20 years ago.

A lot of old guys wear black sneakers now! With velcro fastenings! Those ubiquitous black sneakers are a fashion disaster, IMO. I suppose they are comfy and possibly moderately priced.

DH wears good leather shoes, usually from Ecco.

Old 06-08-2019, 12:08 PM

495 posts, read 329,784 times
Unless you're wearing a mumu everywhere, you dress because you care what others think somewhat, whether you admit it or not. There have always been societal expectations with various degrees of adherence and rebellion, but I think the rebels care even more than the ones who blend in.

As for tight, ill-fitting clothing, there is nothing comfortable about that! That is definitely done for attention. Sometimes the attention received isn't what was desired, but you were looking to stand out, that's what you get for that.

Old 06-08-2019, 12:54 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,781,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
I love "white" tennis shoes (I don't wear them all the time though). I always buy 2 pair and put one away. Then I use a shoe spray before I wear them to help keep them as white as can be. I take good care to keep them. My latest 2 pair is Nike Air Force One Sage
https://www.pinterest.com/pin/13510867618767140/

It's funny, to my surprise I always get compliments on them. I just wear them because I like them.

Last edited by petch751; 06-08-2019 at 01:11 PM..

Old 06-08-2019, 01:01 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,781,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spuggy View Post
You are claiming what she wore wasn't appropriate to wear in this country, the usa? I may not like her outfit but it's tame compared to what I see some people wearing in restaurants, cafe's and fast food places around this country. This particular chain has no stated dress code, so if they don't want women to wear short skirts or shorts and tops that show cleavage then they need to post it.
Yes we in the U.S. she is free to hang out all over that's her choice but geez. Hey it's my take, I'm free to feel the way I do, I just won't look because it's certainly not attractive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty