Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2019, 02:27 PM

9,297 posts, read 4,690,957 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
Many don't want to look the best for their age, they don't want to look anything like their age. That is a mindset in which maturity is a dirty word. It ties into how we "see" people our own age from different eras and perceive their looks as more aged/less attractive - something we want to avoid.
whether you want to look good or not, child molesting does not have anything to do with it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2019, 09:20 AM

1,384 posts, read 2,122,756 times
I'm about to turn 48 and no one thinks I'm that age. My youngest son (12) saw a family picture from 18 years ago recently and said "Mom - you look exactly the same" and I pretty much do!
I think a lot of it is state of mind too.
I'm sure if I didn't color my hair, that might give away my age a bit more but I don't really wear make up (some eye liner), I stay active and eat well, get a good amount of sleep and dress in things I think are flattering.
I own my own DJ business and DJ a good amount of Bar/Bat Mitzvahs and I'm sure the kids would die if they knew how old I was!!

Old 02-23-2019, 09:25 AM

18,732 posts, read 19,086,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthofHere View Post
In the 40's and 50's capris were a fashion statement. Most women were much thinner then so they looked good. https://shopcatherinemasi.com/wp-con...in-color-3.jpg
werent they called Pedal pushers then..

Old 02-23-2019, 09:37 PM

83 posts, read 58,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
And now you have teachers who think they are sixteen having sex with students. There are reasons adults would look and act like adults and those boundaries existed. I also recall that Brenda's parents on 90210 were very down to earth compared to some of the other flakey parents in the show.

I would rather have a line between adults and kids as far as appearance and behavior. Other than celebs who have professional stylists, most older women look better with shorter hair, tbh, and look better wearing more classic rather than trendy fashion and makeup.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the median age for teachers today a lot younger than in the past? I know for me growing up most of my teachers looked more as if they were in their 50s, 60s, 70s, whereas today so many look early to mid 20s. At least whenever I hear a story of a female teacher having sex with a student they seem to hover 20-something.

Old 02-24-2019, 09:17 AM

20,038 posts, read 12,537,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newne View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the median age for teachers today a lot younger than in the past? I know for me growing up most of my teachers looked more as if they were in their 50s, 60s, 70s, whereas today so many look early to mid 20s. At least whenever I hear a story of a female teacher having sex with a student they seem to hover 20-something.
I'll bet some of those teachers were much younger than you thought.

I remember young teachers, but they dressed like - teachers. Long skirts, cardigan sweaters, little makeup. They could not be mistaken for students.

Now there is a more casual code of dress and teachers can look more like the students. In our schools with teachers I see a mix of traditional style even among the young ones, and trendy style which is more youthful looking. I think a couple of them wear too much glamour makeup, seems like a lot of work just to go to a classroom and deal with a bunch of twelve year olds.

Old 02-24-2019, 10:25 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,745,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coschristi View Post
Changing with the times is easier said than done ...

I was a teenager in the mid-1980s, so I had to coax my long, straight-as-a-string hair into the "big-hair" styles that were trendy at the time with a curling iron & a can of Aqua Net hairspray. I got the spiral perms & the goop to "crunch blow-dry" my hair along with the requisite diffuser attachment.

I look at old pictures now & it's cringeworthy.
Oh lord. I have stick straight hair and I hated the 80's! There was absolutely no way for me to achieve big hair but I tried with perms, etc. Looked awful on me.

Thank Gawd bobs are back in style; perfect for my straight hair.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stockyman View Post
Imagine if both sexes stopped dyeing their hair, getting plastic surgery, and toned down on the make-up. People would actually show their age.
Hair color really helps hide our age, I think. While I love the steel gray haircolor that is so popular today; salt and pepper hair is what I would have at my age and it's not a good look on me. So I keep it colored with highlights and lowlights - nothing drastic.

My large company is in the midst of massive layoffs and, trust me, looking old in corporate america is a sin for a woman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
Or more likely, because of genetics.

I wear makeup almost every day, especially eye makeup. I have since I was a teen. I don't have the fine lines around my eyes like so many other people around my age have already developed.

My mom is in her mid 60s, and despite wearing makeup, she does not have many wrinkles on her face. But neither did my grandmother, who also wore makeup every day.
Genetics means a lot. My grandmother had great skin and my mother had great skin. Neither were sun lovers and both loved make-up as do I.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
In Florida a lot of older women want to keep cool but don't feel comfortable wearing shorts that spotlight their varicose veins or whatever issue they don't like about their legs so they wear capris figuring it's a happy medium. I would rather wear a longer skirt or dress than those wide capris. I don't know if you refer to the slim legged shorts that come past the knee as capris. When I think of capris I think of those wide legged ones with the elastic waistband.

Since I am short a capri would make me appear visibly shorter and I don't want that. I just turned 64 and I wear skinny jeans or leggings with a longer top when it's not 90 degrees and city shorts or skirts when it's hot. But hey some people want to be comfortable and that's their right. Me, I want to look fashionable as long as possible, not in a Kim K way but in a Jane Fonda way. :-)
I see capris on women in my company in the summer. Mainly because shorts are forbidden and that's as close as anyone can get to being comfortable and still fitting in with the dress code.

But - I'm certain most do not have wide legs and elastic waistbands.

Old 02-24-2019, 11:06 AM

10,214 posts, read 7,716,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newne View Post
Now admittedly this can go for guys as well, but I find it rather fascinating how just depending on how a woman does her hair and what clothes she wears can make all the difference between quite literally either looking decades older or younger. For the record, I am in my early 30s and my fiance in her early 40s yet she is in great shape and is very fashionable and despite being older no one thinks that.

What prompted me to make this topic was I was watching some home videos from the early 90s and there was a birthday party for kids that looked to be only about 7 or 8 years old so their mothers obviously couldn't be that old at all, probably anywhere from 30s to early 40s yet I couldn't help but notice that these women that these kids were calling mom looked WAYYY closer to being grandmothers than presumably still very young mothers.

Maybe it was better or worse depending on region, but at least in the videos I watched, it was interesting to see just how much older these women looked due to what I gather mainly had to do with the way they did their hair and what clothes they wore, as if they could only get their hair done and buy their clothes at a super matronly store. Needless to say, it's great women my fiances age don't have to do that anymore. Also, I noticed the women that wore glasses the glasses looked hideous!

Again, perhaps it is more regional, but I am curious for those old enough if they can confirm or deny that in the past which really isn't that long ago if it were common for women basically 35+ to look so old in comparison to women the same age range do today.
Hair and makeup matter, as any male or female celebrity can tell you. Look at Trump, for instance. What would he look like with his bald head showing and without the white rings around his eyes and the orange tan?

Cosmetic surgery makes a difference, too. No, they don't look like themselves afterwards, usually. But they don't look haggard and as old, any more. So in that sense, it works.

I just wish people would quit focusing on women's appearance so much. Why do people do that? Yeah, it's important what anyone looks like. But the focus on women in particular is annoying.

Old 02-25-2019, 05:31 AM

11 posts, read 7,352 times
Of course, it is very important to wear the clothes that suits you. Otherwise, in the most fashionable dress you will look stupid, old and funny.

Old 06-13-2021, 01:39 PM
JL

8,535 posts, read 14,648,925 times
guess how old she is?

Old 06-13-2021, 02:47 PM

102,584 posts, read 109,424,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jl View Post
guess how old she is?
40?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty