Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2019, 03:42 AM

18,732 posts, read 19,086,001 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
I do, all the time. I shave 10 years off. I'd go for 20 if I thought I could get away with it.
hahahahah wish I could ..no I tell my age if asked doesnt bother me... better for someone to think I look good for my age as pretend Im fifteen years younger and they think I look done in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2019, 05:28 AM

15,264 posts, read 10,516,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
Yes, pants that hit below the knee but more than a few inches above the ankle are capris. Slim or baggy, still capris. I wear mostly the slim ones that are sort of form fitting, often in denim or a chino sort of fabric, blue, white, tan or black. Nice five pocket styling at the top.

Like these....

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/i...Zm5n8uSDnXTugQ

https://www.glenmuir.com/cms_media/i...ia_cropped.jpg
Those are nice but since I'm short I wouldn't wear them. Now if I was tall I definitely would.

Old 02-21-2019, 09:09 AM

3,879 posts, read 8,425,560 times
Its true! I noticed this awhile back.

People before look soo much older than people now because men and women used to dress a certain way for certain age ranges. For instance, when women hit their 30s and up, they began wearing their hair shorter and shorter and covering up their bodies more, giving them a more matronly look.

A few months back I was watching the old Beverly Hills 90210 episodes on Hulu and decided to look up the parents' ages. I was shocked (though not really) to find when it started the dad was about 35 and the mom 42. They look much older!

https://goo.gl/images/YA2xqj

But if the mom had longer hair and didn't wear the way she did, she would have looked younger.

I just dropped my son off at kindergarten and noticed teachers in skinny jeans. I have no issue with it (it snowed this week) but I remember growing up in the 80s ALL teachers (and most people's moms) all wore ankle length, floral dresses and all had short, curly hair. They all looked old as hell to me. No "older women" wore anything form fitting or had hair longer than shoulder length.

Old 02-21-2019, 10:19 AM

3,247 posts, read 2,509,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TashaPosh View Post
I have lived in Texas for a few years & can we agree that Texas is not the fashion capital? Lol.
Part of fashion is knowing what works for you. If capris pants work & you are comfortable, then wear them!
Many people say the same thing about leggings...they aren't a fashion statement, but I still wear them.
There are clothes for comfort, & clothes to make a fashion statement....capris don't make a fashion statement but it does not mean you shouldn't wear them if you like them.
In the 40's and 50's capris were a fashion statement. Most women were much thinner then so they looked good. https://shopcatherinemasi.com/wp-con...in-color-3.jpg

Old 02-21-2019, 10:26 AM

20,038 posts, read 12,537,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Crabcakes View Post
Its true! I noticed this awhile back.

People before look soo much older than people now because men and women used to dress a certain way for certain age ranges. For instance, when women hit their 30s and up, they began wearing their hair shorter and shorter and covering up their bodies more, giving them a more matronly look.

A few months back I was watching the old Beverly Hills 90210 episodes on Hulu and decided to look up the parents' ages. I was shocked (though not really) to find when it started the dad was about 35 and the mom 42. They look much older!

https://goo.gl/images/YA2xqj

But if the mom had longer hair and didn't wear the way she did, she would have looked younger.

I just dropped my son off at kindergarten and noticed teachers in skinny jeans. I have no issue with it (it snowed this week) but I remember growing up in the 80s ALL teachers (and most people's moms) all wore ankle length, floral dresses and all had short, curly hair. They all looked old as hell to me. No "older women" wore anything form fitting or had hair longer than shoulder length.
And now you have teachers who think they are sixteen having sex with students. There are reasons adults would look and act like adults and those boundaries existed. I also recall that Brenda's parents on 90210 were very down to earth compared to some of the other flakey parents in the show.

I would rather have a line between adults and kids as far as appearance and behavior. Other than celebs who have professional stylists, most older women look better with shorter hair, tbh, and look better wearing more classic rather than trendy fashion and makeup.

Old 02-21-2019, 04:01 PM

9,297 posts, read 4,690,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
And now you have teachers who think they are sixteen having sex with students. There are reasons adults would look and act like adults and those boundaries existed. I also recall that Brenda's parents on 90210 were very down to earth compared to some of the other flakey parents in the show.
Teachers that have sex with students is horrid & has nothing to do with a woman looking younger or what she wears. How is this even a point about wanting to look the best we can for our age?

Old 02-21-2019, 05:27 PM

15,851 posts, read 35,324,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
I am 60, and I've more than a few new co-workers and acquaintances surprised to find out my real age. Many think me in my late 30's to early 40's.

I think that it's a combination of how quickly I move and being willing and able to lift heavy things. I keep my hair in a ponytail instead of some hairdo. And I don't wear makeup. IMO what has really help me "defy gravity" is that I have not worn eyeliner since my 20's. All that applying and removing of eye makeup tugs at the delicate skin around the eyes. So I have don't have much in the way of wrinkles on my face because of not having put on and taken off makeup every day of my adult life.

I've stayed out of the sun for the last few decades. No baking out on the beach for me! And I also don't smoke. And those are two other ways to ruin ones facial skin.
Like you, I do not have much in the way of wrinkles, owing mainly to my genetics. It is not the wrinkles that age me per se. It is the overall sagging of the facial skin (acursed gravity). When I see countless television ads touting the wrinkle removing benefits of this potion or that potion I always wonder why no one EVER addresses the sag factor in giving a more "youthful appearance".

Old 02-22-2019, 05:54 AM

15,264 posts, read 10,516,132 times
I guess you haven't seen the thousands of commercials for Plexaderm?. :-) You have the same problem as I do. I've lost 40 pounds over the last 3 years and while I'm blessed in the genetics department as far as wrinkles that damned gravity will get you every time. I'm noticing some sagging in my lower face, neck and some crepy skin on my forearms & upper thighs from the weight loss even though I go to the gym and do cardio and weights. Tried Crepe Erase as when my aunt passed she had about 10 boxes of the stuff. Didn't help at all.

As soon as I can afford it I'm getting a mini facelift and my neck done. I wear bangs so the few wrinkles I have there aren't noticeable.

Old 02-22-2019, 08:41 AM

20,038 posts, read 12,537,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TashaPosh View Post
Teachers that have sex with students is horrid & has nothing to do with a woman looking younger or what she wears. How is this even a point about wanting to look the best we can for our age?
Many don't want to look the best for their age, they don't want to look anything like their age. That is a mindset in which maturity is a dirty word. It ties into how we "see" people our own age from different eras and perceive their looks as more aged/less attractive - something we want to avoid.

Old 02-22-2019, 10:19 AM

29,847 posts, read 34,821,163 times
My sister and one of my coworkers are exactly the same age--born on the same day in the same year. They're in their early 50s, but it is amazing how my coworker looks older and frumpier, while my sister (who definitely looks her age, don't get me wrong,) dresses in more of a stylish way that does make her appear hipper, if not a bit younger.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty