Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2019, 11:05 AM

19,756 posts, read 12,319,623 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
But, too, there was a certain point in time when young people wanted to look older and more mature--being an adult wasn't a bad thing.
This. They wanted to look and behave like mature adults. Now people want to be like perpetual college students.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2019, 11:14 AM

15,852 posts, read 35,189,369 times
you know, lots and lots of GRANDPARENTS are raising their children these days. And yes, the kids call them "mommy and daddy" because that is all they've known. Maybe some of these ladies were the kids grandmothers. You never know.

Old 02-19-2019, 11:16 AM

15,852 posts, read 35,189,369 times
Sometimes I think that people must wonder about me because even though I am "over 50" I dress much younger. My favorite hairdo is pigtail buns! LOL I guess it is whatever makes you happy.

https://www.papernstitchblog.com/201...ir-tutorial-1/

Old 02-19-2019, 11:22 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 29 days ago)

35,778 posts, read 18,122,233 times
Interesting discussion. I agree, in my grandmother's age, few women attempted to look a lot younger than they were. They didn't color their hair or dress to appear youthful - rather, the goal was to look "put together" and respectable.

And yet, opposing this idea that they didn't want to appear youthful is the old etiquette that it was extremely rude to ask a woman's age, and women routinely shaved a few years off when forced to give their age.

So goes both ways. Women openly celebrate 30, 40, 50, 60 year milestones, and I don't know anyone who actually lies about their age.

Old 02-19-2019, 11:24 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 29 days ago)

35,778 posts, read 18,122,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
I refuse to wear capri pants because I think they age a person.
I'm curious about that. IMHO, capris mean you are 30+. Are you trying to look younger than 30?

Old 02-19-2019, 12:02 PM

6,624 posts, read 6,570,061 times
Quote:
Don't knock them down for everyone.

I've got a friend who is very proportionate except for her calves, which are VERY large. She looks WAY better in capris than in shorter shorts. (she doesn't wear shorter shorts for that very reason)

Capris can come in handy for people like her, no matter what age they are.

Old 02-19-2019, 04:13 PM
miu

17,772 posts, read 40,237,645 times
I am 60, and I've more than a few new co-workers and acquaintances surprised to find out my real age. Many think me in my late 30's to early 40's.

I think that it's a combination of how quickly I move and being willing and able to lift heavy things. I keep my hair in a ponytail instead of some hairdo. And I don't wear makeup. IMO what has really help me "defy gravity" is that I have not worn eyeliner since my 20's. All that applying and removing of eye makeup tugs at the delicate skin around the eyes. So I have don't have much in the way of wrinkles on my face because of not having put on and taken off makeup every day of my adult life.

I've stayed out of the sun for the last few decades. No baking out on the beach for me! And I also don't smoke. And those are two other ways to ruin ones facial skin.

Old 02-19-2019, 04:35 PM

7,709 posts, read 5,488,457 times
A few days ago we watched the very disappointing "The Old Man & a Gun" with the extremely decrepit-looking, 82-yr. old Robert Redford. I don't think the old-fashioned suits and hat that his character wore helped, but I think skincare is far more important to how young or old a person looks than fashions and hairstyle. Redford, like Clint Eastwood, both looked older than their ages many years ago, due to their leathery and wrinkled skin.

Old 02-19-2019, 04:36 PM

9,297 posts, read 4,613,149 times
Quote:
Lol yes,...not to mention it's a fashion no no!

Old 02-19-2019, 04:41 PM

3,162 posts, read 1,621,651 times
I am of that generation and look back at the clothing styles which were very baggy . . . jogging pants and jackets, leisure suits, mom jeans. culottes; jogging sneakers for casual wear . . . any not very flattering. Clothings today is more varied and taylored . . . i can select slacks that have various waist, leg width and length, form fitting, etc. and most attractive for my build. In general there is a wider selection of clothing, shoes, makeup and hair styles so women can select what is most flattering for them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty