Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2007, 07:23 AM

4,494 posts, read 7,480,739 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
A lot of big/major company's in the U.S. have an image they must keep......that means they have to/must look at ALL aspects (even looks) of a prospective employee. Even the company I work for has a Dress Code and "looks" Code.
Yeah...that sanitized and soulless look that corporations want!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2007, 07:55 AM

2,639 posts, read 3,224,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Grass Fever View Post
I don't think that's a bad idea.

I work for a school district and our principal instructed one of the faculty members to cover her tatoo that is above her ankle. She is about 60. I don't know how long she has had it. So therefore, if she isn't wearing a long skirt, dress, pants, or boots, she was to wear a bandage on it about 3" square.

Kudos to our principal.

Old 01-01-2007, 09:40 AM

241 posts, read 998,389 times
Default Original reason for this thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by noljos View Post
Does anyone have tattoos? Pics please?
I will post mine as soon as my wife gets back and can take pictures of mine.
This is the reason why this thread got started. It was for ppl the share their own tattoos. Not to get non tattooed ppls opinions or judgements of them.

I know it has been stated on here that ppl will post what ever they want but why is it that they don't stick to the original poster's request? Why do ppl have to put their two cents in about tattoos when they don't have one? Why do they want to cause conflict when this was supposed to be a simple and fun thread?

Old 01-01-2007, 09:58 AM

2,639 posts, read 3,224,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by my3arabs View Post
This is the reason why this thread got started. It was for ppl the share their own tattoos. Not to get non tattooed ppls opinions or judgements of them.

I know it has been stated on here that ppl will post what ever they want but why is it that they don't stick to the original poster's request? Why do ppl have to put their two cents in about tattoos when they don't have one? Why do they want to cause conflict when this was supposed to be a simple and fun thread?
You are so right and sometimes, I just get carried away. I must regain my self-control and think before I type or answer posts that, too, are off topic. My most humble apologies to everyone who is irritated by such.

Happy new year, one and all.

Old 01-01-2007, 11:51 AM

30,345 posts, read 51,930,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Grass Fever View Post
Good thing I don't work for a "corporation". My jobs will always be government positions (either public libraries or schools), and they have much more consistent policies... plus really good benefits!

Old 01-01-2007, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian_2 View Post
No offense, but there is a touch of the thin-skinned naivete on this thread regarding the judging of others by ones appearance (tattoos & all). People do judge and form opinions of those around them by speech, appearance, etc. No over-repeated biblical quotes, no taking a personal affront over being judged by others, no decrying the 'generation gap', and no wishful thinking will change human nature regarding this. However, we the people know how to separate the packaging from the contents. Dr. King's words from his civil rights speech, "Judge us by the content of our character, and not by the color of our skin", strike a chord beyond just the racial context.
Well said. Dr. King was absolutely right, and that quote goes with what I said earlier... judging someone by their character is different than doing so by their appearance, and is really the only acceptable form of judgement. Wow, that was a clunky sentence, but you get my drift! In "real life", I do have rather thick skin, and just ignore or smile at people who give me a rude comment/look (which rarely happens). But it's harder to hold back online, since you can read those words over & over!!

Old 01-03-2007, 12:59 AM

104 posts, read 234,688 times
Yes indeed I have what my fellow soccor mom friends call a "tramp stamp " It is a Tiger Lilly w/ vines on my lower back. I waited 32 years to get ( mid life crisis? maybe) No regrets. I must say that it is not a big hit poolside in our white collar professional neighborhood .

Old 01-03-2007, 01:51 AM

777 posts, read 3,197,297 times
I'll have to post a pic of my wifes, when she gets it filled in. It is just outlined at this point. I personally don't want to desicrate my perfect body

Old 01-03-2007, 07:44 AM

2,098 posts, read 6,328,712 times
People make way too big of a deal over other people having tattoos and piercings....who cares?!?!?! I don't see how you can read a million ads in the paper about companies that offer EOE because they can't discriminate against creed, color, gender, religion, yada, yada, yada...yet a dude walks in with tats or a girl with piercings and whooooaaaaa, can't hire them, they look like freaks!!!! Bullsh*t. EOE should follow it's own "political correctness". I'm sorry, I've been involved in these discussions before, especially about tattoos, piercings and how teens dress, and I still stand firm, as long as my children are healthy, happy, intelligent and confident, let them pierce and tattoo away (when they're old enough of course) I'd rather a kid with tattoos than a kid who does drugs. Don't we have more to worry about in this country than tattoos? Don't make fun of people who wear turbans, don't make movies that offend jews, certain jobs must speak bilingual so as not to offend hispanics, but "oh my" he/she has tattoos......WHO CARES?!?!?! You know what, requiring that someone speak bilingual to obtain a job is not equal opportunity, and I am offended by that. We don't go around demanding that everyone should learn english but we force spanish on people. I am offended by the guy on the bus who sneezes without covering his nose and who doesn't say excuse me. I'm offended by the guy at my work, who spoke perfect english but got pissed at my coworker because she didn't understand spanish when he spoke it to her...but again, complained to our manager in perfect english...what was the big stink than? I am bothered by the person who crashes into me at the grocery store and doesn't politely apologize (too many rude, angry people around). I don't like when you hold the door open for someone or when you say "Bless you" after a sneeze (whether they believe in God or not) and they don't say Thank You. I don't like when you go to a drive up to order food and they people who take your order act like they have somewhere they'd rather be and you're bothering them....then why work in a people environment? Those are the things we need to work on, how we treat ourselves and others....not how freaky the neighbors kid looks. I am offended, insulted, outraged, angry, hurt and God knows what else by the scumbags who caused September 11, aren't all of you?! We need to learn to deal with what's in front of us. You want to judge? Then base it on how you're being treated, by the kind of person someone is to you or your loved ones, don't judge by how someone looks. I don't believe in political correctness and I don't believe in judging on appearance....I know plenty of a-holes, losers and weirdos who don't have tattoos. And nobody better reply by saying we shouldn't be judgmental period, because I know we shouldn't...but we ALL are in some way.

Old 01-03-2007, 07:57 AM

Hey, "pixieshmoo"... I do agree with your overall points, but did you have to bring up the Spanish-speaking issue??? Like we don't have enough threads debating that already, LOL. Anyway, I think not offending people is a good thing for the most part, as long as it doesn't infringe on personal/civil rights. If we had an "anything goes" attitude about that, who know what kind of garbage we'd be dealing with every day... as a Jewish person, I personally would rather not hear screaming Anti-Semites everywhere I go (keep it to yourself, Mel Gibson ). So we do need to draw the line - either legally or socially - on public behavior/media, simply based on common sense and decency. But you're absolutely right, in that it's hypocritical to protect some appearances & lifestyles, and not others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty