Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-20-2006, 06:27 PM

1,155 posts, read 3,334,098 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhyrnut View Post
I always wanted a dragon perched on the earth with stars and Lightning in the Black backdrop and a smile on the dragon. Can't find an artist to do it though.
If you go to a reputable tattoo artist they should be able to do it. It will be a little more expensive but you cares it will be with you for life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2006, 09:26 PM

8,956 posts, read 20,379,888 times
Well, no matter what anyone on this Forum or anywhere else thinks........people WILL always judge other people on how they look, how they talk, how they dress, where they live, etc., etc. Heavy metal and punk rock fans can have a very "scary" look about them. Some dress in black with a skull hanging from their neck, metal studs sewn into a jacket, baggy pants with a chain hooked to their wallet. Look at the young guys/girls that have that Mohawk haircut/hair standing straight up.....do they look weird to the normal everyday person......yes! Look at Ozzie Osborn. The way he looks, talks (saying the "F" word so often). A lot of parents thinks this guy is a total freak. Now, what is a "normal" look in music......the Carpenters of years ago. A very "down-to-earth" brother/sister singers.
I know that a number of people with tattoos feel "criticized" in this Thread for having tattoos and/or piercing "thing" hasn't been going on for years and years. For myself, I graduated from H.S. in 1968. Most young people who have all these tattoos/piercings weren't even "thought of" (born) when I gratuated.
So, you people that have your tattoos and/or piercings, you can love them, but just don't think that everyone will. No matter how nice your personality is or no matter what kind of a job you have, once "some" people see your tattoos and/or piercings..........they WILL make judgement calls about you. This is just fact.

Old 12-21-2006, 10:38 AM

30,357 posts, read 51,958,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
Well, no matter what anyone on this Forum or anywhere else thinks........people WILL always judge other people on how they look, how they talk, how they dress, where they live, etc., etc. Heavy metal and punk rock fans can have a very "scary" look about them. Some dress in black with a skull hanging from their neck, metal studs sewn into a jacket, baggy pants with a chain hooked to their wallet. Look at the young guys/girls that have that Mohawk haircut/hair standing straight up.....do they look weird to the normal everyday person......yes! Look at Ozzie Osborn. The way he looks, talks (saying the "F" word so often). A lot of parents thinks this guy is a total freak. Now, what is a "normal" look in music......the Carpenters of years ago. A very "down-to-earth" brother/sister singers.
I know that a number of people with tattoos feel "criticized" in this Thread for having tattoos and/or piercing "thing" hasn't been going on for years and years. For myself, I graduated from H.S. in 1968. Most young people who have all these tattoos/piercings weren't even "thought of" (born) when I gratuated.
So, you people that have your tattoos and/or piercings, you can love them, but just don't think that everyone will. No matter how nice your personality is or no matter what kind of a job you have, once "some" people see your tattoos and/or piercings..........they WILL make judgement calls about you. This is just fact.
Yup, we're all perfectly aware of that... as we've been discussing on another thread, first impressions are usually based on appearance. What I have a problem with is people like you, who get high & mighty toward anyone in a certain "look"... and also refuse to look PAST the exterior, to even consider what's inside. Sure, if I see a guy with a green mohawk, I'll make certain assumptions about him - but I wouldn't judge his true character, or generalize all mohawked people. I'm sure plenty of them don't fit the stereotypes, so I at least try to see beyond all of that. I chose to get tattoos, fully understanding the possible reactions, so I'm not worried about that... but to treat us as less-than-worthy or dumb, just isn't going to fly with me. Sorry, but I do have the right to respond when people are disrespectful.

Old 12-28-2006, 11:25 PM

2,098 posts, read 6,330,347 times
Yes, but no pictures.

I have 3 (for now). Two on my ankle, a tribal barbed wire and just a tribal piece above it. And I have one on my hip, 3 sunflowers. I WILL get more, I just don't know what and where....it's in debate. I'm not a back, chest or upper arm girl, and since I've done a hip and one ankle, the other hip and ankle would look dumb, so I'm limited. I may do the inside of my wrist and/or my other hip but more toward the back (to balance the one on the front of my hip, you know, so I don't fall over LOL). Maybe my neck, although then everyone would see it when my hair's up. Although they can see my ankle, it's only if I have shorts or a dress on and it's already there so I have no choice but tats are kind of personal and I don't feel they should all be where the world can see them without my wanting to show them. (I know, you may ask then why ink up if you don't want anyone else to see? My answer is simply "I don't know", I just think they're very personal, but I LOOOOOVVVVEEE them, so there they are).

Old 12-29-2006, 12:06 AM

241 posts, read 998,648 times
gizmo980...I was in the 5th grade when I met the man who eventually did my tattoo. He is my friends uncle and came to her b-day party. I was scared out of my mind when I saw all of his tattoos, he had full sleves (sp). Plus I was raised by religious nuts who think that all tattooed ppl are bad. Anyway he is the best man I have ever run into and more than willing to help out anyone in need.

Too tell you the truth the ppl that scare me the most are the guys that walk around in pairs in their suits and knock on our doors. I have more faith in a person with tattoos than a brother sister singing act where the sister killed herself from starvation, that is not anything to look up to! I'll take Henry Rollins anyday!!!

Old 12-29-2006, 12:55 AM

30,357 posts, read 51,958,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by my3arabs View Post
gizmo980...I was in the 5th grade when I met the man who eventually did my tattoo. He is my friends uncle and came to her b-day party. I was scared out of my mind when I saw all of his tattoos, he had full sleves (sp). Plus I was raised by religious nuts who think that all tattooed ppl are bad. Anyway he is the best man I have ever run into and more than willing to help out anyone in need.

Too tell you the truth the ppl that scare me the most are the guys that walk around in pairs in their suits and knock on our doors. I have more faith in a person with tattoos than a brother sister singing act where the sister killed herself from starvation, that is not anything to look up to! I'll take Henry Rollins anyday!!!
OMG, Henry Rollins is such a babe! Lots of hot tattooed rockers, like Anthony Kiedis, Dave Navarro, Mark McGrath, and so many more... sorry, you just got my mind racing for a minute.

I'm glad you were able to see past that man's tattoos, and realize what was inside. Lots of people have trouble with that, but I figure it's an easy way for me to judge their true character... probably not the type of person I'd want to associate with, anyway - right? And I totally agree about the "two men in suits", LOL! I used to see them riding bikes in my old town, and one of them even threw a Bible at my car (isn't that sacreligious??) when I wouldn't stop to talk with him. I think he was just trying to get it in my window, so I'd read it later, but that's still pretty crazy. I'm quite comfortable with my beliefs, and preaching on a doorstep won't change anyone but a weak-minded or gullible person. Now I'm not ragging on Mormons in general, since I've known some wonderful Mormons in my time... but they didn't knock on people's doors, and never tried to convert me.

Old 12-31-2006, 09:15 AM

3 posts, read 17,048 times
Hi all... I'm a Director of Human Resources at a very large corporation. I can tell you first hand that when someone comes in for an interview with tattoos, they are immediately dismissed as a consideration. It that fair, probably not. If you consider though as a whole, a person who gets a tattoo is normally someone who likes to go against the grain, a rebell, and typically surrounds themselves with less than savory people... If you plan on being a rock star then move forward with mutilating your body... If you want to get a job where you make more than 20K a year, skip the tattoo...

Old 12-31-2006, 09:44 AM

8,956 posts, read 20,379,888 times
First of all, gizmo980......you had better read the reply from roxannel who says that she is the Director of HR for a very large company.
Some of you have critizised my replies about this topic, but I totally agree with what HappyandMarried and roxannel says.
All of you and do whatever you want to with your bodies, but YOU are the ones that have to face the "looks", "whispers", "judgements" that can (and a lot of times DOES) come from it. And, you can say, "please don't judge us" and yet you are judging the people who don't like the look.

Old 12-31-2006, 10:10 AM

Location: Lots of sun and palm trees with occasional hurricane :)
8,293 posts, read 16,163,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roxannel View Post
Hi all... I'm a Director of Human Resources at a very large corporation. I can tell you first hand that when someone comes in for an interview with tattoos, they are immediately dismissed as a consideration. It that fair, probably not. If you consider though as a whole, a person who gets a tattoo is normally someone who likes to go against the grain, a rebell, and typically surrounds themselves with less than savory people... If you plan on being a rock star then move forward with mutilating your body... If you want to get a job where you make more than 20K a year, skip the tattoo...
I disagree with the above stereotype. It's just like those who think hispanics are all illegal aliens or that all blacks are hoods and that everybody who lives on a farm is a "redneck"? How about if employers wouldn't hire childbearing age females because they may become pregnant and take off for a couple of months? Yeah, there are all these HR rules and what you can and can't say or ask, but deep inside the mind of the interviewer, you can be written off for anything.
Go back many years to those men who were in the service defending this country. Check out their tattoos. Do you consider those who risked their lives so you could have yours, to be of questionable morals? You can't just immediately dismiss people because of pre-conceived, and probably erroneous, notions.

Old 12-31-2006, 10:52 AM

9,986 posts, read 18,673,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roxannel View Post
That is such a generalizing statement, it is sad. My husband has 3 tattoos, doesnt drink, smoke or do drugs, has four kids, plays golf and works 14 hour days, he would rather play with his kids than hang out with "unsavory" people. We dont even know any. Tattoo's are just art, they do not mean you are "Unsavory" and I think MANY companies are missing out on alot of good people. Oh I guess all those CEO's from Enron that stole so much were covered in tattoos? probably not!!! As they say cant judge a book by it's cover. I have two tats, both on my lower ankles, I am a mom of 4, PTA, girl scout mom, soccer mom and an interior designer oh and I do part time daycare. "Unsavory"?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty