Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2018, 02:36 PM

1,095 posts, read 1,057,756 times

Advertisements

Who makes the sharpest smoothest cutting double edge razor blades??? I say "Personna " brand with several other brands a close second.

What say you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2018, 07:23 PM

16,569 posts, read 15,284,785 times
I haven't found any blade sharper or duller than the next. Not even "German" blades!

Old 09-03-2018, 07:29 PM

12,993 posts, read 9,521,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retired in Illinois View Post
Who makes the sharpest smoothest cutting double edge razor blades??? I say "Personna " brand with several other brands a close second.

What say you?
Feather, beyond a doubt. They're made in Japan.

I've tried the double-edge "safety" razor recently for several months (first started shaving with one many moons ago), and finally gave it up ... they just don't shave as close as my 5-blade Gillette. The Gillette is much smoother too ... no cuts. The double-edge slices you up no end.

My theory on why they don't shave as closely ... the double-dege is supported all the way across, so there's no flexibility. The multi-blade is supported on the ends, so the blade can bend slightly and conform to the shape of your face. Plus, there's something to the claim that one blade sets up the whisker, then the others slice them off.

Old 09-03-2018, 07:52 PM

5,675 posts, read 5,890,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
Feather, beyond a doubt. They're made in Japan.

I've tried the double-edge "safety" razor recently for several months (first started shaving with one many moons ago), and finally gave it up ... they just don't shave as close as my 5-blade Gillette. The Gillette is much smoother too ... no cuts. The double-edge slices you up no end.

My theory on why they don't shave as closely ... the double-dege is supported all the way across, so there's no flexibility. The multi-blade is supported on the ends, so the blade can bend slightly and conform to the shape of your face. Plus, there's something to the claim that one blade sets up the whisker, then the others slice them off.
I used a double edge for most of my shaving years, until I got one of the Fusion 5 Blade in the mail. I wont go back!!! Sure the blades are more expensive, but for me they last longer than the double edge, and youre right, I haven't been nicked yet from it, and its actually faster to shave with the Fusion.

BTW OP, I used whatever I could find on sale, never noticed much of a difference.

Old 09-04-2018, 12:21 PM

Giving mulit-blade plastic razors away is a great way to dumb down the art of shaving that so many generation of men took pride in shaving with either a straight razor or a double (or single) edge razor. They would seek the finest razors they could afford along with the best blade match (yes, its necessary to match the blade to the razor and your beard for the best results). For those that had difficulty with cuts,scrapes or nicks they would soon learn the value of a good match of razor,blade to beard along with the proper Shave Technique to avoid all shaving problems.

Throwing money away ,as well as polluting our home planet, with disposable plastic razor is just plain, pardon my frankness here, lazy.

More later...........

Old 09-04-2018, 02:06 PM

4,233 posts, read 6,913,427 times
I just use Dollar shave club. Electric trimmer on my face and their 6-blade razor on my head in the shower. Super quick and easy and a very smooth shave for $55 a year with no other thought needed regarding shaving.

That being said, my friends who do more traditional shaving like feather or wilkinson but I have no personal experience.

Old 09-04-2018, 05:53 PM

With the disapperance of DE razors / blades from store shelves it almost a fact that makers of disposable razors are intent on forcing the public to use the wasteful plastic mulit-blade razors.

This thread was to draw out those members that still use "old" tech to shave with by giving them an opportunity to tell of their favorite DE blade. Sadly, only the "plastic" razor folks responded. To bad really. A shave with a matched razor / blade combo is a wonderful way to start your day.

Does anyone still use classic shaving tech to shave with???? ( Tip: the internet is is the place to shop for all things shaving. )

Old 09-04-2018, 05:58 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,116,607 times
I've been using the Mach III for years and it works well.

Old 09-05-2018, 06:19 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,335,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retired in Illinois View Post
With the disapperance of DE razors / blades from store shelves it almost a fact that makers of disposable razors are intent on forcing the public to use the wasteful plastic mulit-blade razors.

This thread was to draw out those members that still use "old" tech to shave with by giving them an opportunity to tell of their favorite DE blade. Sadly, only the "plastic" razor folks responded. To bad really. A shave with a matched razor / blade combo is a wonderful way to start your day.

Does anyone still use classic shaving tech to shave with???? ( Tip: the internet is is the place to shop for all things shaving. )
Yes, I still use the razor my stepfather gave me in 1976, but I actually prefer one I got from my father in law that's older.

I rarely ever see more than one brand of double edge blade at the grocery stores and drugstores I go to. I know there's a shave store in the mall (if it hasn't gone out of business) but I never go to the mall. So I can't make a statement of "favorite" as I don't have the opportunity to compare them. Plus, just because a package of blades has a particular name on it doesn't mean its manufacture hasn't been outsourced to the same People's Razor Blade Factory #17A in Guangzhou that makes all the other brands too.

Old 09-06-2018, 11:14 AM

14,530 posts, read 20,134,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
I've been using the Mach III for years and it works well.
Ditto. I've been reading the topic but I figure it's not for me. I don't even care what the cost is. When I'm getting low Amazon sends me more. When a blade gets dull I just toss it. With a reasonably new blade I can always reach the point where I feel no more stubble. That's my standard for being done.

I don't think of shaving as an experience. It's just a few minutes of mindless stuff that is part of my routine before I venture into public.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty