Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-30-2010, 08:02 AM

2,124 posts, read 6,819,681 times

Advertisements

What's the best way to clean the Gillette Venus razors? Running it under water doesn't work for me, it clumps and stays in the corners. Should I soak it? would soaking in vinegar or alcohol help? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2010, 09:08 AM

8,411 posts, read 39,253,321 times
• Before ever using it and between shaves: Dot mineral oil on a cotton ball and swipe the blades. Hold the cotton ball with tweezers so you don't cut yourself. This protects the blade so it lasts longer and stuff does not stick to it as much because the oil coating provides a smoother surface than strait metal or corroded metal.

• Rinse your blade from behind with each swipe - gets a less irritating shave and prevents build up

What do you use to shave with? Some things are so bad for razor clogging it makes me CRAZY! LOL
Lately I have been using almond oil (now foods brand) as a pre-shave oil and then a tea tree (antibacterial, helps prevent breakouts) castile soap as lather (dr.bronners). I don't get much razor build up with that.

A quick clean is just spritz it with some sort of soap scum busting bathroom cleaner. Let it soak 5 minutes while your brush your teeth and then rinse from behind and/or swish it vigorously underwater in the sink. (do a final rinse if you swish under water)

If you want to go chem free just stick a cheap eyeshadow brush in bathroom you wipe/scrub it out.

Old 07-01-2010, 07:44 AM

I shave with melaleuca brand shave cream, I believe it has some tea tree in it as most of their products do. I guess I can use one of their cleaners to soak it in also. Thanks!

Old 07-06-2010, 08:21 AM

2 posts, read 34,129 times
Hi there - first of all - for total clarity - I'm Tammy and I work for Venus, so I have some Venus specific answers, but in addition, I shave with the razors, so have a consumer point of view to offer as well.

I highly recommend not using "cleansers" to clean the Venus razors. Venus razors are designed to be able to have all hair removed from the razor with running water. People use a variety of things to assist in the shaving process, many of these things clog up the blades. We recommend shave gel more than shave cream, but most shaving creams should be fine. Double check to make sure the one you're using is intended for multi-blade razors (versus straight razors).

Mineral oil can eat away at the coating we've put on the blades, so it's not recommended.

Everything should come out of the blades easily if you run them under a good strong flow of water.

I hope this helps, if not, let me know! Thanks, Tammy

Old 07-07-2010, 02:14 AM

5,419 posts, read 9,193,859 times
I'm a dude.. but I clean my shaving razor with a cheap, "unused" toothbrush and hydrogen peroxide.

Old 07-07-2010, 02:54 AM

436 posts, read 954,237 times
American men have become so neutered in Western Culture that they don't even know how to shave their face properly.

Here's a clue to a clean, close, old-school shave: Burma Shave. Thank me later.

Old 07-07-2010, 12:05 PM

8,411 posts, read 39,253,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TammyatVenus View Post

Mineral oil can eat away at the coating we've put on the blades, so it's not recommended.

It does not reduce the longevity of the razor. It makes the product last longer, so I can see why you would advise against it as a rep for the company.

The coating only lasts about a week or two without cleaning/oil. But if you oil it and re-oil like you would any other blade, it keeps it sharp and lasting longer when the coating is long gone.

I used to have a product made for that and it was blue. It was marketed to men but it worked great. One of the main ings was mineral oil. Does anyone remember that product? So I just started using the strait mineral oil that I use on my clipper blades instead of buying another item.

So many HBA have mineral oil in them. I only have to use cleansers and brushes when I have been oiling my razor for 6 months or so.
Otherwise it rinses clean from behind. But I never used creams. I feel like they clog anything over a single blade.

Old 07-08-2010, 05:32 AM

You appear to be right, pitt....if you google it, you'll find many sites confirming the mineral oil fix. Gillette Fusion ProGlide is "coming soon" with the oil in it. I am unlikely to go buy some oil, I think hot water/alcohol/a dry toothbrush is all I need (since I already have those) but I really appreciate the tip.

Last edited by NJDevil; 07-08-2010 at 05:32 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 07-09-2010, 12:58 PM

5,404 posts, read 15,989,910 times
Reader's Digest (their "saving money" section) recommends dipping the blades in alcohol after use...to keep the blades sharp longer....dries fast.
If you're talking about the handle...not the actual blades, then when you throw the old cartridge away, use tub cleaner on the handle...that will clean it. Then, stick on a new cartridge...you're good to go!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty