Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-05-2017, 07:30 AM

2,313 posts, read 2,508,620 times

Advertisements

I was just thinking about this the other day, I saw an older women 60+ wearing a low cut summer dress that was pretty inappropriate. Wrinkles and blotchy skin galore.

Old 10-05-2017, 08:17 AM

19,655 posts, read 12,244,081 times
Fashion is what it is, if fat people can wear what they want and claim fat shaming if anyone complains, and people are absolutely covered in tats and piercings, and wear transparent leggings and flip flops everywhere, and rainbow hair, if all this is ok, then it is just fine that older women wear skimpy outfits.

Old 10-05-2017, 09:11 AM

3,105 posts, read 2,009,900 times
While I understand your point, it's not for me to judge, but we all know what we like & don't & what attracts us to others & what repels us. People on their own time can dress how they please & that differs for us all.

If I had my own biz, then yes, I'd have a say in how you'd represent me at my company & would enforce a dress code.

TBH, if everyone of us were to sit down with a clipboard at an outdoor cafe & grade every person who walked passed us that day, we'd have full lists of pros & cons. To that end, we'd also find ourselves on others' lists of pros & cons.

I dress appropriately for my age & for whichever event I'm attending... everything from shorts to jeans to suits to cocktail dresses & gowns. If someone were to glance at me disapprovingly, I'd smile at them amusingly & wouldn't care. That's their issue. And, if it has happened, I've never noticed.

Old 10-05-2017, 10:32 AM

2,037 posts, read 3,354,610 times
People can wear whatever they want.

It's awesome!

Not caring what others think is such a freeing thing.

Old 10-05-2017, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ma5cmpb View Post
I was just thinking about this the other day, I saw an older women 60+ wearing a low cut summer dress that was pretty inappropriate. Wrinkles and blotchy skin galore.
And if she was happy and comfortable, that's what counts.

The rest is your problem.

My sister is going to be 70 in Nov. and wears a bikini as she travels the world's beaches.

She's also bald due to cancer treatments.

She enjoys her life every day.

IF people are lucky, they'll be "old" someday and they can do what they want to also.

Old 10-05-2017, 10:34 AM

11,062 posts, read 6,655,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gouligann View Post
I don't like seeing older "broads" wearing skimpy clothing. They remind me of old hookers trying to hold on to their youthful looks and are long past their prime.

IMO, Tina Turner is about the ONLY older woman who can wear whatever she wants to reveal and still looks amazing!

There's a few. Jane Fonda, Raquel Welch, Cher....those blessed with phenomenal genes.

Old 10-05-2017, 10:40 AM

11,062 posts, read 6,655,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastBoundandDownChick View Post
I had to post this. This woman is 89 and still doing high level gymnastics:

https://www.womenshealthmag.com/fitn...ar-old-gymnast

I don't know if I would want to see her in a tube top and booty shorts, but she's seriously more in shape than many women half her age. Goes to show you you can have a great bod at any age if you work at it.

Most of us can't. Though an amazing story, she's another outlier that proves nothing. "If you work at it"?

We have a friend here who spent his life as a fitness trainer for Hollywood types. At 67, he's so crippled up with arthritis, he can't even bend over or sit in a low chair. But his petite bouncy girlfriend (also 60s) can jump, run, twist, do yoga....

It's all genetics, folks. Working at it helps, but is only a fraction of the overall picture.

I agree with Dirt Grinder. "Wear what you want, but there might be consequences". LOL. My new motto!

Old 10-05-2017, 10:48 AM

9,837 posts, read 4,641,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gothick View Post
Earlier today I was doing some shopping and running some errands. When I was checking out there was a woman in front of me that was probably 40-45 but she was wearing a very low-cut top and booty shorts. Granted, she seemed to be in shape and good for her age, but nevertheless, after a certain age is it really appropriate for women to be wearing very skimpy/revealing things? Say about 35 but 40 at the latest?
in my view it is a lot less appropriate to be judging folk for how they dress than it is to dress "inappropriately"....

Old 10-05-2017, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post

I agree with Dirt Grinder. "Wear what you want, but there might be consequences". LOL. My new motto!
What are the consequences? Somebody else "might not like it?" I can deal with that LOL

If you're not old yet, you won't get it. Hopefully you WILL get the chance to be old, because no one ever knows. And if you ARE old, and not doing what you enjoy - where you are able - you should start. The older you get, the less time you have left to do anything in life.

I'm 58. I don't do anything to "try to look young," or be younger. (Don't ASSUME when you see someone.) I like some of the fashions (especially shoes - flat shoes) that are in style, so i wear them. I have mixed hair that always wanted to go in dreds, so a few years ago i let it. Left them for 2 yrs and then took them out; it was on my bucket list. I also want to put a bright color in my hair for a while. I got my first tattoo at age 35, and i now have 5. I never had the nerve when i was younger. I don't care who hates any of it, if i like it.

Fashion is fun to me. I'm retired and never dressed inappropriately at work. I also learned to love my body - finally - in my 40's, and to stop comparing it to TV/Hollywood Stars. Most of what they look like is due to surgery, makeup, fake hair, and LOADS of money.

It's good to be old

Old 10-05-2017, 11:38 AM

6,739 posts, read 4,424,565 times
They do love to show it. Sometimes showing a little too much. Just dont get caught looking. Then they think you're some perv. Like Grandma use to say, If you dont want somebody to see something, dont put it out on the front porch.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.