Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-03-2017, 08:14 AM

13,262 posts, read 8,022,582 times

Advertisements

It's all so relative.

When I was 19, I thought 27 was old. When I was 27, I thought 40's was older. When I was in my 50's, I felt like I was still in my 30's.

I GET that to a 19 yr. old...I'm old, and not at all relevant to him/her. It's fine. But the flip side of that is...that 19 yr. old isn't very relevant to me either. And it's nothing personal, and I don't say it to be rude, it's just...YOU do your thing in YOU'RE orbit, and I'll do MY thing in my orbit, and maybe we can just wish each other a happy life, and smile, if our paths cross.

Old 10-03-2017, 08:24 AM

6,855 posts, read 2,844,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gothick View Post
Earlier today I was doing some shopping and running some errands. When I was checking out there was a woman in front of me that was probably 40-45 but she was wearing a very low-cut top and booty shorts. Granted, she seemed to be in shape and good for her age, but nevertheless, after a certain age is it really appropriate for women to be wearing very skimpy/revealing things? Say about 35 but 40 at the latest?
One of the most amazing things about the human body, I think, is the neck. And eyes. And how they can work together to give us nearly 360 degrees of sight. Like an owl. But not that good. So that if we see something we do not like or want to see, we can move our eyeballs, and neck if need be to view something else. All that to say, if you don't like what you see, look the **** away. She didn't dress to impress you, or to disturb you, in fact she probably didn't even think about giving a damn what you or anyone else thought about what she was wearing.

Old 10-03-2017, 08:47 AM

6,855 posts, read 2,844,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckystrike1 View Post
Last month I was behind this woman that was in her 70's (our husbands were in a discussion), and she was the saddest attempt to looking young that I had ever seen.

Her long hair, which wasn't particularly pretty, was dyed pitch black with a bandana tied around her head 70's style, a pair of 70's style pants, a tank top, and sandals on a pair of the ugliest feet I'd ever seen. She may have had a nice trim shape in her youth but now she looked bony and with very aged skin. Her face looked old.
Right, because someone's right to life, liberty and the pursuit of what makes them happy is purely dependent on how they appear to you.

Quote:
I told my husband later that if I ever start to do that, just shoot me.
Careful what you wish! Careful what you say! Be careful what you wish. Be careful what you say. Be careful what you wish, you just might get it. Be careful what you say, you might regret it.

You know what? **** all y'all. I wear what I want, when I want, however I want, and **** you if you don't like it.

Old 10-03-2017, 09:06 AM

1,251 posts, read 1,077,591 times
I see women over 40 dressed inappropriately ALL the time! I always wonder who they think they are fooling or what they are trying to hide?
I only wear tailored, classic clothing. I always have- even as a very young woman. I dress like a put-together lady with timeless pieces in my wardrobe. Trends are for younger women, in my opinion.

Old 10-03-2017, 09:08 AM

1,251 posts, read 1,077,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekigurl View Post
One of the most amazing things about the human body, I think, is the neck. And eyes. And how they can work together to give us nearly 360 degrees of sight. Like an owl. But not that good. So that if we see something we do not like or want to see, we can move our eyeballs, and neck if need be to view something else. All that to say, if you don't like what you see, look the **** away. She didn't dress to impress you, or to disturb you, in fact she probably didn't even think about giving a damn what you or anyone else thought about what she was wearing.
Wow, why all the anger?? My aunt used to say, "There comes an age where a woman can wear anything she wants...but she shouldn't."
Classy, timeless dressing is much more attractive.

Old 10-03-2017, 09:33 AM

5,390 posts, read 9,690,496 times
Can we talk about how the OP feels the need to control what women of a certain age should and should not wear?
Like, mind your own business. If someone wants to dress the way they wanna dress, then let them and keep your stigmas and judginess to yourself, cuz no one really cares what you think.

Old 10-03-2017, 09:42 AM

164 posts, read 175,108 times
I'm older and in good shape but I tend to agree with the original poster. Sometimes you just need someone to tell you that you may not look as good as you think you do. Maybe you don't realize that you are making a fool of yourself and other people are laughing at you.

I come from a family of extremely attractive women and when I was 45 and my 65 year old mother met me for lunch wearing hot pink booty shorts and a tube top embarrassed me to no end. Yes, she looked great for 65 but booty shorts and a tube top, come on.

There is nothing wrong with dressing appropriately for your age. We all get old. Have some class.

Old 10-03-2017, 09:48 AM

13,448 posts, read 15,475,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharpydove View Post
I see women over 40 dressed inappropriately ALL the time! I always wonder who they think they are fooling or what they are trying to hide?
I only wear tailored, classic clothing. I always have- even as a very young woman. I dress like a put-together lady with timeless pieces in my wardrobe. Trends are for younger women, in my opinion.
Why do you think that women over 40 who dress "inappropriately" are trying to "fool" or "hide"? These are the same people who would wear revealing clothing in their 20s. If these women can pull it off and have the confidence, then what's the issue? We are all going to get older if we're lucky. We don't need to cover up if we choose not to. Booty shorts aren't my thing, but I do wear things at times that show off what I've worked hard for. What's wrong with that?

I don't need to hide or fool anyone. obviously im not in my 20s but why would I want to be? i look great and am having fun in my 40s. I've long ago accepted that i don't stay young forever and I dress based on how I feel not how old I am.

Old 10-03-2017, 09:49 AM

8,069 posts, read 7,432,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gothick View Post
...I was checking out there was a woman in front of me that was probably 40-45 but she was wearing a very low-cut top and booty shorts...

Dang, when I saw the thread title I thought "older women" would be around 60.

40-45 ain't "older" at all, especially if she's a hottie! For the record I'm 57 and maybe when I was 25 I would have considered 40-45 to be "older"!

Old 10-03-2017, 10:09 AM

16,825 posts, read 17,728,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharpydove View Post
Wow, why all the anger?? My aunt used to say, "There comes an age where a woman can wear anything she wants...but she shouldn't."
Classy, timeless dressing is much more attractive.
Weird, I had an aunt full of interesting sayings too. Her favorite was, "don't comment on others appearances".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.