Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2017, 08:32 AM

6,112 posts, read 3,932,036 times

Advertisements

I love how women appear to be so divided on the issue
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2017, 08:40 AM

9,884 posts, read 10,993,101 times
I always hated shaving. I felt the same way about neckties.
Let's face it, how intelligent is it to attack your face with a sharp blade the first thing every morning, then symbolically hang yourself by tieing a noose around your neck?
So, when I retired, I quit doing both. I do not shave at all, and I never wear a noose around my neck.
I really do not care what others think about my casual attire and beard. I am comfortable, my wife loves me just as I am, and that is all that matters to me.

Old 01-29-2017, 08:45 AM

10,135 posts, read 27,503,953 times
Pray that the ladies don't get on this bandwagon.

Old 01-29-2017, 09:07 AM

2,130 posts, read 1,461,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
Okay, that is all your opinion which usually matters to only you.
How about you tend to your whiskers and stay out of someone else's whiskers?
This is a discussion forum. Why do you constantly try to dictate to people what they can discuss?
Discussion. Forum.

Old 01-29-2017, 09:14 AM

6,740 posts, read 4,430,253 times
I think it is mostly laziness from not shaving, then being in fashion mode. Kill two birds with one stone thing. The beards in sports now just looks stupid.

Old 01-29-2017, 09:15 AM

4,534 posts, read 4,936,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mideto View Post
It seems every douchebag is growing a beard just to grow a beard, as if the act of having facial hair defines what it means to be a man. Growing a beard does not in any way automatically grant you some magical gift of manly toughness. And just because a man is clean shaven doesn’t mean he’s any less of a man.

I swear, I can go to Walmart, the mall, a convenience store and at least 90% of guys have a beard. Most of them are patchy, don't have the right density and coverage and it simply does not suit them, it looks terrible. Yet, in their minds, they are convinced or better put, deluded that they look more handsome, more alpha, macho, masculine, etc. lmao

Notice how the "bearded" men, are the first ones to make fun of guys who shave, and call them, girls or boys, or even worse, make fun of guys who cannot grow beards. It comes from insecurity, low self esteem and feelings of inadequacy. This bearded fella doesn't realize the fact that he makes fun of clean shaven men, proves that he is insecure, which is not a manly quality.

A modern guy between 18 and 30 years old? You can bet he has some facial hair going. Almost, as if is a given. They grow their beards to prove their manliness, but it is actually having the opposite effect now.

This happens when everyone follows the same trend, it loses its appeal, it becomes a negative thing. Imagine if achieving a muscular ripped body was as easy as taking a pill, every schmook down the street would look like a fitness model, and it would completely lose the appeal it has on society, women, media, etc.

Many men say that they look better with a beard. If you look better with a beard, then I'm sorry, but it means you are ugly. The beard is covering imperfections in your face, such as double chin, recessive chin, weak jaw, scars, acne spots, fat cheeks, etc. You're basically saying "I look better with a third of my face covered"
Funny, here I thought for the vast, vast majority of history men wore beards almost all of the time. The biggest douchebag here seems to be you. You sound like an old grandmother. Are you mad you're not young anymore or what?

Either that or you are a 1950s or 60s corporate suit for a company like DuPont who wants people to go back to dressing like Don Draper and wearing ties everyday.

Old 01-29-2017, 09:30 AM

2,130 posts, read 1,461,232 times
Quote:
It seems every douchebag is growing a beard just to grow a beard, as if the act of having facial hair defines what it means to be a man. Growing a beard does not in any way automatically grant you some magical gift of manly toughness. And just because a man is clean shaven doesn’t mean he’s any less of a man.

I swear, I can go to Walmart, the mall, a convenience store and at least 90% of guys have a beard. Most of them are patchy, don't have the right density and coverage and it simply does not suit them, it looks terrible. Yet, in their minds, they are convinced or better put, deluded that they look more handsome, more alpha, macho, masculine, etc. lmao

Notice how the "bearded" men, are the first ones to make fun of guys who shave, and call them, girls or boys, or even worse, make fun of guys who cannot grow beards. It comes from insecurity, low self esteem and feelings of inadequacy. This bearded fella doesn't realize the fact that he makes fun of clean shaven men, proves that he is insecure, which is not a manly quality.

A modern guy between 18 and 30 years old? You can bet he has some facial hair going. Almost, as if is a given. They grow their beards to prove their manliness, but it is actually having the opposite effect now.

This happens when everyone follows the same trend, it loses its appeal, it becomes a negative thing. Imagine if achieving a muscular ripped body was as easy as taking a pill, every schmook down the street would look like a fitness model, and it would completely lose the appeal it has on society, women, media, etc.

Many men say that they look better with a beard. If you look better with a beard, then I'm sorry, but it means you are ugly. The beard is covering imperfections in your face, such as double chin, recessive chin, weak jaw, scars, acne spots, fat cheeks, etc. You're basically saying "I look better with a third of my face covered"
I agree, most of these young guys look like slobs. Neatly trimmed facial hair looks good, but that's rare nowadays. I especially laugh at the really young guys with baby faces, standing 5'5", weighing 140# who have hair on their face just because they can. THEY especially look ridiculous! LOL!
I've been blessed where I look good both clean shaven and with a three/four day growth ... I hate shaving, so during the work week I get lax.
It's really not that serious, but at the end of the day, nobodies losing sleep over other people's beards, this is 'murica they can do what they want. You have every right to look dirty or ridiculous.

Old 01-29-2017, 09:45 AM

20,722 posts, read 16,409,246 times
Quote:

So...you'd LIKE to have a beard and be manly but it's too thin, so by your own standards you just can't do it...so by golly no one else without a "perfect beard" of your own definition should either?

Take it down 10 notches - it is FASHION...and will go back to clean-shaven in a couple years and you can be in all your glory! The pendulum always swings. Hope the ladies appreciate you-and your perfect face!

Old 01-29-2017, 09:55 AM

20,722 posts, read 16,409,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarnivalGal View Post
As a woman, I will chime in. I absolutely HATE beards - well, facial hair in general. Some men can pull off a short beard, but it's not many.

I just think they are horribly unattractive and kind of germ factories. I see people wipe food off of them when eating and then go about their business. On a smooth face (like any smooth service), it's much easier to clean. But there's bacteria hiding in that beard that you're not going to get to without some serious soap and water, especially those ridiculous hipster beards. And if you're not going to shower or do a serious face washing for 12 hours, stuff's going to fester in there. Gross. There was even a study done that proved this to be true.
Okay...so we can safely surmise your own grooming practices.

Old 01-29-2017, 10:10 AM

1,386 posts, read 1,002,736 times
I was with my brother in law a few months back, and he had at the time a big bushy grey beard. He is somebody who can pull off that look. We were getting breakfast tacos in Austin Texas. The server, a young woman who couldn't have been more than 20, said to my bro-in-law, "Oh, I just love you facial hair!" She was absolutely sincere.

I was surprised. I'm in the military, so I'm clean shaven. And in the past 28 years, I've come see to beards as making men look...unkempt. And I thought big grey beards just made men look old.

But I think I'm in the minority now.....

---
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty