Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2016, 06:17 AM

2,587 posts, read 1,597,279 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaleighLass View Post
Hmm, I don't mean to be rude, but did you read what you wrote? He only wears it when he's with you - to appease you perhaps? I wouldn't feels special, I would feel suspicious. He might be being truthful, but if he isn't, well.....there are many women out there whose ex-husband's did the very same thing. My hope is that you'll take my comment as a warning and not an attack on you or your husband

Maybe you're right, but personally I doubt it, photobuff DID say that he didn't like jewellery, he probably wears his wedding ring when he's with his wife because he loves her, and is proud that he is her husband.
I wear mine permanently, it's a very narrow band, of the type that is more favoured by men in Continental Europe.
My wife and I have a very dear female friend who has never worn a ring on her wedding finger in the 30+ years that we've known her.
The story goes that when they hadn't been married long, they got into a spat in the street, and in exasperation she pulled off her ring and threw it at him.
He turned on his heel and stormed off, thinking that she'd search for it and pick it up, but she'd turned her back and walked off in the other direction.
Result? No ring, even though he offered to buy her a new one, price no object.
She demurred, citing their mutual volatility, saying that if they had another fight she'd never forgive herself if she threw a £1000 ring down a drain.
They'd met at university, and we're together for 40 odd years until the big C struck her husband and within 3 months she was widowed last year at age 60.
Kind of makes wearing or not wearing a wedding ring insignificant really.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2016, 06:44 AM

17,155 posts, read 12,973,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
Before I was married, I wore rings on my fingers, even on more than one finger on the same hand.

Now that I'm married I only wear my wedding band. Simple platinum, no stone.

I always wanted (and thought I'd have) a 2+carat diamond ring, but I got the band. No stone.

I didn't get any engagement ring and I felt a little left out of the whole ritual of (women asking "ooh can I see your engagement ring" - then oohing and aahing) as if the size of the stone was representative of a wealth display.

I realized it wasn't about the stone on the ring as I'm now nearly 8 years married and I don't miss that stone at all.

When I don't wear my wedding band I feel as if something is missing.
I have to take my soldered wedding set off frequently during the day after having it reset a few months ago. I have a three carat white sapphire in an unusual cut and high cathedral setting, so it protrudes a lot, making it impractical for doing some things around the house and sleeping. I always wear it when I go out, though. People always mistake it for a diamond, but when I tell them I'm a practical girl and didn't want my wife to spend $10K on my ring, they admire that fact more than her spending way too much money on a huge diamond

Old 02-12-2016, 08:15 AM

18,759 posts, read 11,804,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymer View Post
LOL! I was working a detail at a hotel one NYE...a cute, barely dressed young chippie popped out of a room and planted a liplock on me and then invited me in...ah, I just smiled, shook my head and walked away...

Yikes. Were you wearing a wedding ring?

Old 02-12-2016, 09:34 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,857,927 times
I rarely wore my wedding ring when I was married for 28 years. It had nothing to do with "wanting to look available," just that I hate jewelry. I don't even wear a watch. I play with cars and have had my ring get caught on things, so I never wore one for that reason either.

Don

Old 02-12-2016, 11:06 AM

679 posts, read 812,928 times
I lost a bunch of weight a few years back and forgot to have the ring resized. It came off somewhere I guess, never found it. Fortunately, it wasn't a super expensive one back then. I just never got around to replacing it.

Neither me or my wife wear ours, we know who we are married to and its no body else's business.

Old 02-12-2016, 11:13 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,547,409 times
I love the guys who respond that they wear it because they often work with women or meet lots of women while on business. As if the ring is the one thing that will stop her or him from engaging in adultery. lol

Old 02-12-2016, 11:59 AM

27 posts, read 25,150 times
I never wear my ring.
I have never liked jewelry.
If someone asks if I am married, I say yes.

Old 02-12-2016, 12:00 PM

387 posts, read 555,470 times
My dad is a farmer and he doesn't wear his because he works with farm machinery and it is really dangerous. There is a farmer in the valley who lost his finger because his ring got caught in the machine and it got ripped off. My dad has a ring, and if they go on vacation he will wear it once in a while, but mostly he doesn't.

My husband doesn't wear his because it is too big since he lost weight since we got married, and it is engraved and he doesn't want to lose it and can't get it re-sized without messing up the engraving. He used to wear it but one time it fell off fishing in a stream and luckily he found it, one time it fell off in the BBQ grill and got red hot (LOTR style - luckily it went back to the gold color), and one time it came off in a gravel parking lot and after half an hour we found it under the truck. He is terrified of losing it for good so he doesn't wear it. It isn't a big deal to me.

Old 02-12-2016, 12:10 PM

1,586 posts, read 2,150,559 times
My wife and I both lost ours. I lost mine while playing with it in the passenger seat of my mom's car. It fell between the seat and the door and I couldn't find it; when she dropped me off, she promised to look for it, but it never turned up. Probably fell out of the car when someone else got in or out. My wife lost hers in similar fashion, but at a bar. We've always intended to get new ones and still do, but they're expensive and there have been other things we'd rather spend our money on.

My dad has never worn his and I'm confident he wasn't screwing around. Not his style.

Old 02-12-2016, 12:13 PM

922 posts, read 1,112,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskey River View Post
If I had one, and was married I would wear it. Most men who don't or won't wear one are just making an excuse to look available.

Soldiers in combat, HVAC technicians, Electricians, Welders and all kinds of guys wear theirs. Nothing you are doing most often justifies not wearing it.

You're out "hustling".....I know!
Yeahhh, you must not know very much about working around the kind of equipment that HVAC Techs/Electricians/Welders have to deal with Much of it is not conducive to wearing jewelry of any sort. And if a man needs a ring on his finger to keep him from cheating on his wife, then he's wearing the wrong kind of ring. It's not as if wearing a wedding ring stops people from cheating anyway.

From a wife married to an HVAC Tech who never wears his ring on the job and is not a cheater.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty