Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2014, 05:53 PM

1,809 posts, read 5,419,009 times

Advertisements

I have a 1990 Suburban with a 350 V8 5.7 Engine that will have rebuild.

I want to know that can I put on Diesel Piston Rings on regular combustion rings?

I saw amd heard on that the piston rings off a diesel engine is strong amd last longer than the regular engine rings.

Or should I use racing piston rings?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2014, 05:59 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,509,477 times
Even if they fit there is no benefit. What are you trying to gain? Higher compression? You won't get it from changing rings unless your current rings are that worn out

Old 03-13-2014, 06:13 PM

1,809 posts, read 5,419,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
Even if they fit there is no benefit. What are you trying to gain? Higher compression? You won't get it from changing rings unless your current rings are that worn out
Higher Compression and long lasting life af the ring.

Is there a problem with higher compression from a diesel ring on a regular piston?

Old 03-13-2014, 06:37 PM

11,555 posts, read 53,159,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackandgold51 View Post

Is there a problem with higher compression from a diesel ring on a regular piston?
You do not achieve higher compression from changing the rings on the piston; the compression ratio remains the same and the sealing efficiency is the same.

Best to use the spec'ed piston rings for your piston and gasoline application.

Proper cylinder surface conditioning and a straight true bore are important, too, for the long life of the rings.

Unlikely that the diesel piston rings in a gasoline engine application will be working properly due to the lower BME pressures that the rings are subjected to in the lower compression engine.

Old 03-13-2014, 06:38 PM

2,025 posts, read 4,173,463 times
you won't get higher compression from piston rings. Diesel rings, if they have a significantly higher tension than the gas rings, may wear your bores and cause blowby and oil burning prematurely.

f you do a competent job, the rebuild using proper parts sshould last as long as the original. If you have to ask the internet if this is a good idea, chances are it's not and you might not be ready for this task.

Old 03-13-2014, 07:47 PM

17,211 posts, read 57,047,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsprit View Post
You do not achieve higher compression from changing the rings on the piston; the compression ratio remains the same and the sealing efficiency is the same.

Best to use the spec'ed piston rings for your piston and gasoline application.

Proper cylinder surface conditioning and a straight true bore are important, too, for the long life of the rings.

Unlikely that the diesel piston rings in a gasoline engine application will be working properly due to the lower BME pressures that the rings are subjected to in the lower compression engine.
Sunsprit, there are a lot of aftermarket piston rings available for SBC - do you have a favorite? Probably the favorite ring depends on what the engine builder wants - lower initial cost, longest wear, best oil control, or something else.

I know that for German engines, the ordinary Deves or Mahle-Mann sourced "plain Jane" rings are very hard to beat. My Scirocco has whatever ring NAPA carries for that application (previous owner) and these have done over 200K miles for me - OK I do drive like a mechanic, I'm using a premium synthetic oil - but it still runs quite well (if it has lost HP over the years I know it's been so gradual I couldn't have noticed it) - still gets 35-38 MPG, and hardly uses a quart of oil in about 8000 miles. So whatever ring the PO put on, IMHO is at least a decent ring.

Old 03-13-2014, 07:52 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,509,477 times
Quote:

A engine doesn't make compression that way. I doubt you can even find a diesel application piston ring that will work on a gas 350. The rings are completely different from a diesel to gas engine.I know a long time ago in the 80s GM tried a 350 diesel in Oldsmobile cars maybe buick too. Didn't work out too well.
If you're gonna tear down the motor to that extent of replacing piston rings you're better off building a stroker motor. There are plenty of very low budget 350 chevy builds that will give you decent power. A basic re-ring and bore and hone will work wonders for lost power.

I would save up and build the 350 with good quality parts that work well with each other. Lots of places like Summit have rebuild packages

Old 03-13-2014, 09:17 PM

11,555 posts, read 53,159,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
Sunsprit, there are a lot of aftermarket piston rings available for SBC - do you have a favorite? Probably the favorite ring depends on what the engine builder wants - lower initial cost, longest wear, best oil control, or something else.

Sorry, M3 ... but I've never built a SBC engine, so I don't know what is favored. The few domestic gas car engines I've built got Hastings or Total Seal piston rings ... which delivered excellent service, but they were in collector cars to be driven very few miles after the resto.

I know that for German engines, the ordinary Deves or Mahle-Mann sourced "plain Jane" rings are very hard to beat. My Scirocco has whatever ring NAPA carries for that application (previous owner) and these have done over 200K miles for me - OK I do drive like a mechanic, I'm using a premium synthetic oil - but it still runs quite well (if it has lost HP over the years I know it's been so gradual I couldn't have noticed it) - still gets 35-38 MPG, and hardly uses a quart of oil in about 8000 miles. So whatever ring the PO put on, IMHO is at least a decent ring.
While Deves and Mahle both make excelent products ... I found my best engine builds on the German cars for years was using Mahle Pistons and Deves rings. Even when I bought new Mahle piston assemblies, we'd install Deves rings on them .... I had a lot of 'benz diesels give 300,000+ miles in hard use with that combination which seemed better than the Mahle piston/ring assembly.

Old 03-14-2014, 08:26 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,761,940 times
Why are you rebuilding the engine?

I doubt rings designed to fit on a diesel piston would fit on a gasoline engine piston. I remember rebuilding a Mercedes gasoline engine using pistons supplied by the owner. Everything went fine until I installed the diesel piston and noted it stuck up about 1/8 in above the deck. I guess the owner had gotten a deal from J.C. Whitney or something. I just cleaned up the original pistons and installed new rings from the Mercedes dealer. I had to raise the thrust surfaces on the old pistons to stop the piston slap noise.

Old 03-14-2014, 08:48 AM

9,614 posts, read 21,259,196 times
Quote:
I have a 1990 Suburban with a 350 V8 5.7 Engine that will have rebuild.

I want to know that can I put on Diesel Piston Rings on regular combustion rings?

I saw amd heard on that the piston rings off a diesel engine is strong amd last longer than the regular engine rings.

Or should I use racing piston rings?
The OEM rings in your vehicle have lasted 24 years, how long are you planning to drive this thing?

Diesel rings last longer because of how the engine operates, not because the rings are any different. Just buy premium rings made for your engine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive