Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2016, 02:43 PM

251 posts, read 176,253 times

Advertisements

I much prefer Damascus for mine if I ever got one.

damascus wedding ring pics - Bing images

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IWufZDFSdMU

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2016, 02:46 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,958,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskey River View Post
...Most men who don't or won't wear one are just making an excuse to look available...
I don't like to wear mine, I don't like to wear a watch, and I'm certainly not trying to look "available."

Old 02-11-2016, 03:22 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,817,348 times
Hah, when we first purchased our wedding rings, about a month or so before our wedding, my husband, who has never in his life worn jewelry-type apparel of any kind outside of dogtags, not even a watch, was all, "I think it's gonna be really hard for me to get used to wearing a ring...it's probably gonna drive me nuts." After about two days of wearing it, stopped noticing it entirely.

When I first got my engagement ring, it was hard for me to get accustomed to the feel of it on my finger, because a. I don't typically wear gems or anything at all raised, and he did get me lower profile ring, but it still had three prong settings, albeit low prong settings and b. the band was more substantial on the palm side than I'm accustomed to. But, yeah, you get used to it.

Old 02-11-2016, 03:27 PM

3,469 posts, read 4,874,341 times
I don't wear one anymore and haven't in years. I accidentally smashed mine on my finger. Finger started turning purple, was hurting like hell but then started going numb. I had to scramble to find something to cut it off and ended up nibbling it in two with a pair of wring side cutters we found in the truck. I have never worn any type of ring since.

In response to Whskey River's comments and to those that think it makes a man "unavailable" wearing one, the guys I know that have ended up with divorces because they got caught having an affair wore wedding rings. If a guy wants to fool around, that little ring isn't going to stop him and there are plenty of women out there that don't care if you have one on because they have one on as well.

I know other guys that don't wear them because they have jobs that don't allow them such as industrial mechanics, electricians, electronics techs etc. They are at work all day long most every day and when they aren't at work, their wife is usually with them so what is the point of wearing a ring maybe 4 hours out of a week?

Old 02-11-2016, 03:32 PM

7,998 posts, read 5,433,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aero100 View Post
I often find myself wishing my wife would leave hers in the safe deposit box and wear something simple and inexpensive.
That is silly. What would be the point of having it if it is locked up in a safe deposit box?

Old 02-11-2016, 04:48 PM

251 posts, read 176,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dijkstra View Post
I don't wear one anymore and haven't in years. I accidentally smashed mine on my finger. Finger started turning purple, was hurting like hell but then started going numb. I had to scramble to find something to cut it off and ended up nibbling it in two with a pair of wring side cutters we found in the truck. I have never worn any type of ring since.

In response to Whskey River's comments and to those that think it makes a man "unavailable" wearing one, the guys I know that have ended up with divorces because they got caught having an affair wore wedding rings. If a guy wants to fool around, that little ring isn't going to stop him and there are plenty of women out there that don't care if you have one on because they have one on as well.

I know other guys that don't wear them because they have jobs that don't allow them such as industrial mechanics, electricians, electronics techs etc. They are at work all day long most every day and when they aren't at work, their wife is usually with them so what is the point of wearing a ring maybe 4 hours out of a week?
Us guys deal with things most these pencil pushers can't dream of. 480 Volt 3 Phase commercial power being one of them. A 5,800 degree acetylene turbo torch, PVC glue, refrigerant R-22, R-410A, R-134A, R-12, Natural gas and LP, 26 and 30 gauge sheet metal and fabrication tools......etc.. etc..

It's only the one douche who doesn't wear his ring. I'm the only one besides him who doesn't, and I'm also the only one who isn't married. Everyone at my shop knows why he doesn't. He's been caught at least twice before by her.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
I don't like to wear mine, I don't like to wear a watch, and I'm certainly not trying to look "available."
I have TWO Casio G-Shocks. I wear one to work every single day. I use the old beater that is all tore up, and I have a nice fresh one for after hours and weekends. You can beat the **** out of these and they still run. Whack with a 3 pound hammer, dropped several stories onto concrete, 200 meter waterproof, withstands 12 gauge 3" magnum recoil on it's face against a concrete floor, sawzall and air tool vibration etc..

DW6900MS-1 - DW6900MS-1 - G-Shock, Military Inspired, Mens, Tough, Digital, Watches | CASIO America, Inc.

You can get a MTM as well......

MTM Military Watches For Men|Tactical Watches Special Ops

Old 02-11-2016, 05:01 PM

50,522 posts, read 64,480,575 times
If a man has a job in which wearing a ring would be dangerous, then he shouldn't. My husband's original ring got bent, so I replaced it with stronger platinum.

I sort of like it when women choose to not wear any rings, so I must be OK about men not wearing them too.

I have always worn mine and so has my husband, but I think when couples choose not to, it is sort of cool. It means that they are true to each other, without others knowing.

If I was in a position in which I was out in the world, I would enjoy knowing whether or not men would hit on me if they thought I was not attached. If I acted on it, or not, would not depend on whether I was wearing a ring or not.

Old 02-11-2016, 05:32 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,521,054 times
Default Wearing My Wedding Ring

Before I was married, I wore rings on my fingers, even on more than one finger on the same hand.

Now that I'm married I only wear my wedding band. Simple platinum, no stone.

I always wanted (and thought I'd have) a 2+carat diamond ring, but I got the band. No stone.

I didn't get any engagement ring and I felt a little left out of the whole ritual of (women asking "ooh can I see your engagement ring" - then oohing and aahing) as if the size of the stone was representative of a wealth display.

I realized it wasn't about the stone on the ring as I'm now nearly 8 years married and I don't miss that stone at all.

When I don't wear my wedding band I feel as if something is missing.

Old 02-11-2016, 06:20 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,356,746 times
I've never been a jewelry wearer. I'm allergic to nickel, and when I was a teen that's what I wore, and found I got an itchy rash with it. So I stopped wearing it and by the time I could afford jewelry not make with nickel, I had developed the habit of NOT wearing it.

So I rarely wear jewelry. It's just not a big deal to me. I am married, but no - I don't even wear a wedding ring. If a special occasion I sometimes will put on a tennis bracelet, but usually not.

Old 02-11-2016, 11:00 PM

2,767 posts, read 1,593,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by photobuff42 View Post
My husband doesn't wear his most of the time. He just doesn't like jewelry; he doesn't even wear a watch. However he does wear his ring when we go out together. It makes me feel special.
I don't wear a ring or a watch, or any other such thing. Neither does my wife. We've been happily married for 26 or 27 years (don't make me do the math!).

Its just a personal preference that we share.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty