Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2016, 03:10 PM

6 posts, read 4,618 times

Advertisements

I fractured my ankle on Thursday and am going to have to get my leg casted once the swelling goes down. I was thinking about getting it in pink but I'm one of the youngest people at my job and have been there less than a year so I'm not sure if it would be seen as unprofessional. It's a fairly conservative CPA firm. The cast is going to cover my entire leg (above my knee) so I doubt I'm going to wear pants with it.

As an alternative, I could go with black on the first, and pink with the second smaller one.

What do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2016, 04:05 PM

15,158 posts, read 27,859,354 times
Are you serious?

Old 01-23-2016, 04:18 PM

3,062 posts, read 7,046,751 times
My last cast was glow-in-the-dark. People loved that.

Old 01-23-2016, 04:29 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,920,170 times
I had a pink cast and it got to looking pretty grubby pretty quick. My daughter had a neon green one that she only had to wear for three weeks and hers was filthy by the time it came off. Black would probably be more practical.

I did wear pants over mine all the time, loose stretchy pants that were wide enough in the leg to go over the cast easily, or I wore an ankle-length skirt. Some fabrics may snag on the cast.

My cast covered my foot and went to the knee, so I couldn't wear a shoe on that foot.

Old 01-23-2016, 04:50 PM

3,167 posts, read 4,009,570 times
Do you really have to have a plaster cast? My mom fractured her ankle and had a removable boot instead. Casts smell horrible after a while. I'd try and see if I could get a plastic boot instead.

And I would NOT get anything pink.

Old 01-23-2016, 04:59 PM

221 posts, read 203,238 times
I don't think cast color is even considered on a professionalism scale. You're going to spend weeks trapped in a piece of plaster ... no one is going to care what color it is.

Old 01-23-2016, 06:17 PM

2,919 posts, read 5,964,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mnseca View Post
Do you really have to have a plaster cast? My mom fractured her ankle and had a removable boot instead. Casts smell horrible after a while. I'd try and see if I could get a plastic boot instead.

Casts are rarely made of plaster anymore--they're made of fiberglass, lighter and often colorful. A walking boot is most likely not appropriate for the OP. And aside from color choice, the method of immobilization is determined by the physician, not the patient's preference.

To the OP--I think you might be better off with a black or standard white cast. The fact that you're asking the question makes me think you already have an idea the bright pink wouldn't work in your conservative firm.

Last edited by hellpaso; 01-23-2016 at 06:19 PM.. Reason: Disclaimer--I'm a certified Orthopaedic Nurse ;)

Old 01-23-2016, 07:13 PM

6 posts, read 4,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mnseca View Post

Apparently boots aren't as secure as casts. A removable boot wouldn't immobilize my knee either. I was given the option of having surgery and avoiding the above knee cast but decided against it.

Old 01-23-2016, 07:28 PM

3,423 posts, read 4,378,260 times
Random thoughts on colour... black is popular because it doesn't show scuffs or dirt as easily as lighter colours.

I've worked in a hyper-conservative work environment myself, and yes, neon pink or green or whatever, worn at the office, probably would be held against you by some individuals. It sucks, but some people are just kind of like that... trapped inside their own suffocating, colourless, tiny little mental boxes.

Now, if you're going to have to get around with one of those little leg cast "knee scooters", then to heck with the nay-sayers... get bumper stickers and a bicycle bell.

Old 01-24-2016, 07:39 AM

24,731 posts, read 11,055,349 times
Dark colors do not show every speck of dirt. Get leg warmers or big enough leggings to pull over it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty