Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2011, 03:39 PM

625 posts, read 953,254 times

Advertisements

The past two or three times I went to the gym, after the cardio workout on either the elliptical machine or treadmill, I noticed that my left leg is weaker than my right leg.

I am right handed and I drive with my right leg, so of course my right side is dominant. Is there any gym workout that can remedy this situation?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2011, 05:37 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,961,323 times
You can work on the weight machines using your left leg individually for certain exercises like:
leg extention
leg curls
leg press

Personally, I would suggest doing sets first with both legs and then at the end doing just one extra set with your left leg.

You can also do lunges while walking.

Old 11-09-2011, 06:35 PM

7,329 posts, read 16,437,357 times
If this is something new, it may be due to back problems. Pressure on a nerve near the spine can cause weakness in the leg on that side.

Old 11-10-2011, 05:50 AM

2,444 posts, read 3,586,154 times
Most people are weaker when they start out, so if you're new to the gym this is something that will pass. When I first began my arms were increadibly uneven I could curl 16 lbs with the left and 35 with the right and had just about the same relative asymetry in most upper-body exercises, but after a few months they had the same strength.

Lift free weights in exercises like squats, lunges and deadlifts and it will even-out over time.
Also if you do one-legged squats and do both legs with the same weight(meaning ur only maintenance-exercising your strong leg while pushing the weak leg hard it will catch up faster.

However an important thing to consider is if you have an asymetric motion on the eliptical and treadmill. Look at yourself in the mirror while on these and analyze differences.

Old 11-01-2016, 01:50 PM

1,855 posts, read 2,921,060 times
It's called "leg day" (and not legs day) for a reason. You need to incorporate a separate day for each leg into your split. Here's mine as an example:

Day 1: Chest
Day 2: Abs
Day 3: Back
Day 4: Shoulders
Day 5: Left leg
Day 6: Right leg
Day 7: Rest

Old 11-01-2016, 03:08 PM

11,199 posts, read 9,095,963 times
Always start on your weak side. I am right handed so i always begin with my left side.

Old 11-01-2016, 03:35 PM

2,827 posts, read 4,344,816 times
There are little things that you can do at home also that can help strengthen your left leg over time. For ex., when you are waiting for the microwave to finish heating or cooking something, lift your right leg and do some small squats with the left leg. Don't go down very far, just enough to feel the tension building in the thigh muscles. If your balance is off, hold the edge of the counter with your right finger tips to maintain your balance. In time, you will be able to do it (on either leg) unassisted. Great for strengthening and for your balance.

Old 11-02-2016, 04:56 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,400,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cream1 View Post
It's called "leg day" (and not legs day) for a reason. You need to incorporate a separate day for each leg into your split. Here's mine as an example:

Day 1: Chest
Day 2: Abs
Day 3: Back
Day 4: Shoulders
Day 5: Left leg
Day 6: Right leg
Day 7: Rest

Jesus, dude. Your "physique" troll posts are harmless and some might see them as amusing.

This post is actually detrimental to someone legitimately seeking help/advice and that's just stupid.

OP, disregard Cream's post. Are you saying that you experience muscle weakness in your left leg, as compared to your right, after exercising? If so, I would echo the poster above who said it could be a nerve issue and that you should see a doctor. ESPECIALLY if this is a recent development.

Old 11-02-2016, 05:52 AM

1,855 posts, read 2,921,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
Jesus, dude. Your "physique" troll posts are harmless and some might see them as amusing.

This post is actually detrimental to someone legitimately seeking help/advice and that's just stupid.

OP, disregard Cream's post. Are you saying that you experience muscle weakness in your left leg, as compared to your right, after exercising? If so, I would echo the poster above who said it could be a nerve issue and that you should see a doctor. ESPECIALLY if this is a recent development.
why wouldn't you isolate a body part that is lagging? what's your solution, squatz and oatz?

Old 11-02-2016, 11:37 AM

1,142 posts, read 1,144,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cream1 View Post
why wouldn't you isolate a body part that is lagging? what's your solution, squatz and oatz?
Roids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness