Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-05-2015, 09:36 AM

983 posts, read 995,605 times

Advertisements

I bought a cotton shirt last week and the tag said it was dyed with real indigo. Don't hear too much about real indigo so I figure it must be special. Only problem is, the shirt smelled like mildew, like bad storage.

So, I hand washed it with laundry soap, rinsed, then a soaking in baking soda and water. Hung it on my balcony to dry. (Dry and sunny the next two days.)

Following day it smelled slightly of mildew, but it was quite faint.

So, back to the washtub with a vinegar and water soaking. Rinse, hang back on the balcony in the sun and the air.

Right now, after 48 hours on the balcony, it's not quite dry, but smells faintly of vinegar. If it smells like mildew after all of this, I'll just toss it. But I wonder, is it really possible to get the musty, mildew smell out of clothes?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2015, 07:16 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,955,675 times
Now that you have used vinegar, wash it in normal cycle with detergent. Dry it for 10 minutes in the dryer with a dryer sheet. Then hang it indoors to dry completely.

If that doesn't work, I don't know what to tell you.

Old 10-05-2015, 07:58 PM

9,196 posts, read 7,234,127 times
The only thing that I've found to work really well is Lysol; not the aerosol spray, but the liquid stuff. Just soak the shirt in a water and some Lysol (1/4 cup should be plenty), and then wash it as usual afterwards.

Old 10-07-2015, 07:46 AM

503 posts, read 772,586 times
Maybe do a soak with water and baking soda? Consider testing a small area first to make sure it doesn't change color. I put baking soda in my kids shoes when they get wet and stinky!!

Old 10-07-2015, 04:05 PM

5,133 posts, read 4,486,386 times
I've never been able to get the smell of mildew out of things, even after washing with Lysol liquid. I've always wound up having to throw them out (clothing, sheets, ice skates, etc.)

Old 10-07-2015, 04:32 PM

14,784 posts, read 24,090,712 times
try odo ban and it is sold at home depot .

Old 10-07-2015, 04:34 PM

4,699 posts, read 3,279,325 times
Try some Zorbx odor remover. I used this to remove diesel smell from one of my husband's shirts. It took several applications but it finally did the job. I purchased mine at Lowes.

Old 10-07-2015, 05:15 PM

3,167 posts, read 4,003,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IheartWA View Post
I bought a cotton shirt last week and the tag said it was dyed with real indigo. Don't hear too much about real indigo so I figure it must be special. Only problem is, the shirt smelled like mildew, like bad storage.

So, I hand washed it with laundry soap, rinsed, then a soaking in baking soda and water. Hung it on my balcony to dry. (Dry and sunny the next two days.)

Following day it smelled slightly of mildew, but it was quite faint.

So, back to the washtub with a vinegar and water soaking. Rinse, hang back on the balcony in the sun and the air.

Right now, after 48 hours on the balcony, it's not quite dry, but smells faintly of vinegar. If it smells like mildew after all of this, I'll just toss it. But I wonder, is it really possible to get the musty, mildew smell out of clothes?
I have had better luck with the dryer than the sun. I have some pretty nasty running clothes that have reached tolerable levels after 2 wash and dry cycles, one with detergent and vinegar and the dryer, and then a second with soaking in vinegar, then adding vinegar to the rinse cycle, then drying in the dryer. A third cycle would probably make them perfect, but spandex doesn't tolerate the dryer that well.

Old 10-07-2015, 05:48 PM

983 posts, read 995,605 times
I meant to check back in and give an update.
The second rinse in vinegar and water pretty much knocked out the mildew. It's about 99% gone. A couple of standard washings in the washer should do it.

I actually think the fresh air and sun did most of the work. I didn't want the shirt mixed with anything else, thought the indigo would bleed on things. It took about 3 days on the line though. Thank goodness I have a balcony and it was nice and sunny for awhile.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty