Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-28-2011, 10:07 AM

7,104 posts, read 11,612,120 times

Advertisements

Hi, I'm not sure if this is the right forum - I rent a home and have had this ongoing mold/mildew issue that the landlord just will not fix. My clothes smell like mold or mildew, my hair does, my sofa does. I really need to just break my lease and move but easier said than done.

I can wash my hair and continue to wash clothes but I can't exactly put my sofa in the washing machine.

Does anyone know how I might be able to save it? I have a steam cleaner with upholstery attachment. If the mildew is in the foam that doesn't help but just throwing the info out there - thanks! This is so disturbing and I am completely frustrated and furious, ugh.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2011, 11:26 AM

50,388 posts, read 64,073,157 times
I am hoping that the sofa itself is not mildewed, but is just absorbing the odor from the source of the smell?
If so, you will hopefully be able to air it out when you move and all will be well. If there is mold or mildew in the sofa, I would pitch it, because it will never come out.
Right now, if you think you will be moving soon, you could move your upholstered furniture to a storage unit, and maybe the smell will be gone when you get it out.

Old 10-02-2011, 06:18 AM

7,104 posts, read 11,612,120 times
I'm hoping too! It's my bed too - I smelled it this morning and it's getting worse. Awful. My landlord has some dementia according to her husband and the husband is debilitated; the son who did maintenance is an ex-con and not helpful, bottom line is this isn't getting fixed and the ducts are mildewed and/or moldy. I seem to be able to break my lease but moving can be expensive and now I have to replace my sofa and mattress too. Not happy at all...

Old 10-03-2011, 11:08 AM

5,696 posts, read 19,155,977 times
I think the smell will come out once removed from the premises like someone else mentioned. I would move. Forget the sofa and mattress smell, what are you breathing in?

Old 10-04-2011, 07:04 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,117,463 times
That's one lease I'd break in a heartbeat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating