Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2015, 05:20 PM

7,668 posts, read 5,261,452 times

Advertisements

I would agree with this, although of course New York and South Florida would be anomalies.

Most seem to just throw on a t-shirt and a pair of jeans without a care? When we went to a midwestern wedding we felt out of place and overdressed.

Last edited by Sickandtiredofthis; 08-17-2015 at 05:47 PM..

Old 08-17-2015, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Londoncowboy30 View Post
It's quite easy to spot an American tourist in London they either have Ralph Lauren shorts or a Lacoste/hilfiger top on look very dapper must admit

I'm sure Americans can usually spot us Brits on holiday in the U.S. Especially in Florida, Texas and California ( Suns always out ) by us having our shirts off and beer bellies out
I am a British citizen and wouldn't even dress like that in the confines of my own home nevermind outside in a foreign country. I think what you are describing is council estate people.

I would doubt anyone from London would dress like that. You've got to be joking.

Old 08-17-2015, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonerandsad View Post
I have lived in America for almost a decade now after moving from Europe. Where I come from nearly everyone is dressed up well, fashionably and basically dress up and look very nice - both men and women - probably 90% of the people. When I started high school, then college and now the work force here in the states, I always get comment from people how well and nicely dressed I am and some people assume I have a party or an event. However, at the beginning some people thought I was "gay" because I wear skinny pants /slim fit sometimes, etc.

In America I noticed only about 20-30% of the population dress up nicely, or at least good. Why is there big dress code difference? Sure, if you go to many urban places like NYC you see many people wearing nice clothes and also more common among Asian and Hispanic population (esp. males). Not everything should be about comfortability.

Many stores in America have those European style type of clothing and plenty of choices and options here, and indeed sales tax and clothing are in general much more affordable and cheaper in America so no excuses. Nobody asks you to buy expensive goods; indeed, H&M and Forever 21 are two examples of stores are affordable and nice things. What shocks me the most are especially women wearing gym clothes when shopping, and males wearing baggy pants or too much unmatched colors, big ties and wide shirts. Gym clothes belongs to gym or at home, not out in the malls, grocery stores, etc.

Sorry if anyone gets offended; not saying Europeans are better but when it comes to style and fashion, most of Europe wins on this. You can easily spot a European tourist on the street anywhere in America.
I know. We stayed in a hotel full to the brim with Americans and pretty much looked like your bog standard white people. I didn't feel like we were any different looking to them?

We were constantly greeted and the door held open and so on. I have no idea how they guessed that we were from another country, I am assuming we must dress differently. It's funny because I didn't notice a significant difference in the cities we stayed in.

Old 08-17-2015, 05:30 PM

15,675 posts, read 11,529,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sickandtiredofthis View Post
I am a British citizen and wouldn't even dress like that in the confines of my own home nevermind outside in a foreign country. I think what you are describing is council estate people.

I would doubt anyone from London would dress like that. You've got to be joking.
It was firmly tongue in cheek as a brit yourself thought that might have been obvious??? If not so obvious I'm not taking about in a restaurant but walking down the street to get drink etc

And to clarify I was brought up on a council estate and am a scaffolder so am used to having shirt off during summer where appropriate

Old 08-17-2015, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 43north87west View Post
I think that's largely false. If you live in a heavily toured area it's likely that you only notice the ones you notice, because they stand out for some reason. It's kind of like people asking "why are all gay men flamboyant". They're not--but people notice the ones who are. If you listen to languages being spoken, you'll notice a lot more people who don't really look out of place. There are a lot of very nondescript European tourists. We get tons of Europeans out here in Sedona and at the Grand Canyon. I got to exercise my German skills yesterday, again, with some people who looked like they were just a couple locals. Except they were speaking German. The only way I identify foreigners here is usually by their language, not their appearance.

One way that Europeans tend to stand out is because they either wear things (or have accessories) that look slightly different, or they look like they walked through an Adidas store after jumping in a swimming pool of rubber cement. And don't get me started on what happens to "style" when traveling east into the Balkans...

Then there are the aristocrats who have a certain "air" about them. That "outdoorsy" looking Austrian couple a few weeks ago, smelled so bad they could have knocked the flies off a ####wagon (I'll thank George Carlin for that one). I may be biased, but this usually seems to happen in conjunction with hearing a foreign language. Although the Indian guy I talked to at a huge data center around the corner from here really made my eyes water. Nice guy, but he probably didn't realize that he didn't smell too great.

Urban Europeans, often like urban Americans, tend to be more fashion adherent than their rural counterparts.

Now, if you were to compare Europeans vs. Americans on their weight, you might have something.
Like I said earlier the Americans in our hotel in DC could tell we were foreign. I have no idea how, I didn't feel like the city clothing style was much different to ours in this country.

The only way I can think they would realise maybe would be the brand of our clothing?

Old 08-17-2015, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by missnursing View Post
Haha this post was kind of intriguing. I came from the Philippines & married to an American. Yes, I noticed it to my husband. The good thing is that he worked-out and not that big tummy. Then one time, we were about to attend his daughter's graduation. I noticed that he just wore a regular short and a t-shirt, and I dressed well. I mean, I personally told him honey we are going to attend a graduation, and you should wear nice. I asked an apology of course, so I didn't hurt his feeling. And you know what after we attended the graduation? He told me thank for you for telling me to wear a nice clothes because he would of embarrassed himself and only him wearing a short and a T-shirt at the auditorium. I mean, I felt proud when my man dress well in public and not a boggy sweat pants. Sometimes, when we were out buying groceries, I noticed people look both of us. Deep inside, I was like why they looked at us like weird. I was just guessing because I dressed well and he didn't. But I learned to ignore as years go by. I could careless of what people think. As I remember, I questioned him about it. He responded that "he just want to feel comfortable when he's out buying groceries with regular short and a t-shirt with flip flops on." I can't argue him with that reason. I just said okey, its better than pants on the ground I guess. That was worse I ever seen.

Then in school, my co-students just wear a sweat pants & shorty-short like they were at home. The bra strings were visible and twisted at the back. Deep inside, I was like thats very inappropriate. I just kind of ignore it and let it go. I guess people just dont care and too busy to change clothes. Definitely saves money for not washing a lot of clothes and buying soap I guess. Practical thinking I just put that way.

Sorry I hope I didnt offend someone.
Your culture sounds similar to mines. We really dress up here when we have a big celebration or event. I went to a midwestern wedding and everyone was waring t-shirts and shorts, it was a bit odd.

They kept asking us why we were going to the hairdresser. Apparently my mum dresses up too much. I was always raised that the clothing you ware presents an image of who you are. Really I just try and dress respectfully!

But yes midwestern America was an hilarious shock to the system when it came to dress style. We couldn't get over it!

Old 08-17-2015, 05:40 PM

Plus to stereotype " them council estate people " is wrong even the aristocratic class in Mayfair and Knightsbridge wouldn't have said that

Very surprising thought the class system went years ago

Last edited by Londoncowboy30; 08-17-2015 at 05:40 PM.. Reason: Wrong word

Old 08-17-2015, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newdixiegirl View Post
I can often (not always) tell Europeans from Americans, particularly when it comes to men. Yes, shoes can be one clue, and as another poster mentioned, European men are more likely than American men to wear tight, "skinny" jeans, fashion scarves, and bright colors, etc.

I don't know...while I agree that Americans can be overly casual or sloppy in comparison, I like the way some European men dress, but others not so much. Some are a little too metrosexual for my taste (in men).
I think this would be the opposite for the UK and Ireland. Men try their best not to look "gay".

Old 08-17-2015, 05:43 PM

3,633 posts, read 5,357,206 times
Quote:
Your culture sounds similar to mines. We really dress up here when we have a big celebration or event. I went to a midwestern wedding and everyone was waring t-shirts and shorts, it was a bit odd.

They kept asking us why we were going to the hairdresser. Apparently my mum dresses up too much. I was always raised that the clothing you ware presents an image of who you are. Really I just try and dress respectfully!

But yes midwestern America was an hilarious shock to the system when it came to dress style. We couldn't get over it!
For sure. I'm from NY. Lived in CA. Am now in the midwest. "Culture shock" is an accurate description.

Old 08-17-2015, 05:44 PM

Quote:
I think this would be the opposite for the UK and Ireland. Men try their best not to look "gay".
100000000 % agree with that one
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty