Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2015, 08:11 PM

56 posts, read 47,057 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonerandsad View Post
I have lived in America for almost a decade now after moving from Europe. Where I come from nearly everyone is dressed up well, fashionably and basically dress up and look very nice - both men and women - probably 90% of the people. When I started high school, then college and now the work force here in the states, I always get comment from people how well and nicely dressed I am and some people assume I have a party or an event. However, at the beginning some people thought I was "gay" because I wear skinny pants /slim fit sometimes, etc.

In America I noticed only about 20-30% of the population dress up nicely, or at least good. Why is there big dress code difference? Sure, if you go to many urban places like NYC you see many people wearing nice clothes and also more common among Asian and Hispanic population (esp. males). Not everything should be about comfortability.

Many stores in America have those European style type of clothing and plenty of choices and options here, and indeed sales tax and clothing are in general much more affordable and cheaper in America so no excuses. Nobody asks you to buy expensive goods; indeed, H&M and Forever 21 are two examples of stores are affordable and nice things. What shocks me the most are especially women wearing gym clothes when shopping, and males wearing baggy pants or too much unmatched colors, big ties and wide shirts. Gym clothes belongs to gym or at home, not out in the malls, grocery stores, etc.

Sorry if anyone gets offended; not saying Europeans are better but when it comes to style and fashion, most of Europe wins on this. You can easily spot a European tourist on the street anywhere in America.
This doesn't offend me at all.

I get sick of see college kids wearing their pj's at school and in public at Target and other place. The dirty Grundy look is NOT in.

I'm into fashion and style. I will wear a causal sundress and sandals and one of my friends claims that I'm "dressed up"

People need to stop looking like slobs.

Old 08-16-2015, 10:07 PM

7,284 posts, read 16,713,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonerandsad View Post
I have lived in America for almost a decade now after moving from Europe. Where I come from nearly everyone is dressed up well, fashionably and basically dress up and look very nice - both men and women - probably 90% of the people. When I started high school, then college and now the work force here in the states, I always get comment from people how well and nicely dressed I am and some people assume I have a party or an event. However, at the beginning some people thought I was "gay" because I wear skinny pants /slim fit sometimes, etc.

In America I noticed only about 20-30% of the population dress up nicely, or at least good. Why is there big dress code difference? Sure, if you go to many urban places like NYC you see many people wearing nice clothes and also more common among Asian and Hispanic population (esp. males). Not everything should be about comfortability.

Many stores in America have those European style type of clothing and plenty of choices and options here, and indeed sales tax and clothing are in general much more affordable and cheaper in America so no excuses. Nobody asks you to buy expensive goods; indeed, H&M and Forever 21 are two examples of stores are affordable and nice things. What shocks me the most are especially women wearing gym clothes when shopping, and males wearing baggy pants or too much unmatched colors, big ties and wide shirts. Gym clothes belongs to gym or at home, not out in the malls, grocery stores, etc.

Sorry if anyone gets offended; not saying Europeans are better but when it comes to style and fashion, most of Europe wins on this. You can easily spot a European tourist on the street anywhere in America.
I think that's largely false. If you live in a heavily toured area it's likely that you only notice the ones you notice, because they stand out for some reason. It's kind of like people asking "why are all gay men flamboyant". They're not--but people notice the ones who are. If you listen to languages being spoken, you'll notice a lot more people who don't really look out of place. There are a lot of very nondescript European tourists. We get tons of Europeans out here in Sedona and at the Grand Canyon. I got to exercise my German skills yesterday, again, with some people who looked like they were just a couple locals. Except they were speaking German. The only way I identify foreigners here is usually by their language, not their appearance.

One way that Europeans tend to stand out is because they either wear things (or have accessories) that look slightly different, or they look like they walked through an Adidas store after jumping in a swimming pool of rubber cement. And don't get me started on what happens to "style" when traveling east into the Balkans...

Then there are the aristocrats who have a certain "air" about them. That "outdoorsy" looking Austrian couple a few weeks ago, smelled so bad they could have knocked the flies off a ####wagon (I'll thank George Carlin for that one). I may be biased, but this usually seems to happen in conjunction with hearing a foreign language. Although the Indian guy I talked to at a huge data center around the corner from here really made my eyes water. Nice guy, but he probably didn't realize that he didn't smell too great.

Urban Europeans, often like urban Americans, tend to be more fashion adherent than their rural counterparts.

Now, if you were to compare Europeans vs. Americans on their weight, you might have something.

Last edited by 43north87west; 08-16-2015 at 10:16 PM..

Old 08-16-2015, 10:18 PM

4,366 posts, read 4,590,215 times
I would imagine the people in France are well-dressed. The women are renown for their style and social graces. I've seen too many books on "how to dress and act like a French lady" to not be convinced that at least they know what they're doing. You never see French makeover shows, right?

Old 08-17-2015, 12:15 AM

2,728 posts, read 2,706,296 times
European dressing is not one. As in everywhere else, some people like to "dress" and some people don't. We have bigger number of people who use jeans with different sorts of shirts. Could be "finer" shirt or just comfy shirt. Less men wear other type of trausers or suits (which would be moronic due to weathers) and less women use skirts or dresses. Women over 50 use more other type of trausers than jeans.

I don't see the point to dirt 2 clothes per day, weathers are what they are and if walking/riding on bike then I wear like the weather is. People are generally "too lazy" to carry office clothes if cannot be left at work place. Carrying office shoes is enough for me and that is not for looks it is to not having smelly toes during day

Why to be obsessed by dressing anyway? It does not give any better impression, if you act like moron at work you are a moron no matter if a skirt, suit or jeans. Also "dressing up" does not stop making mistakes. Working hours are long and I really want to feel good during day and not itchy as many clothes are.

When I am going to culture actions, celebration etc. and weather fits, then I might wear something from skirt-dress line. Of course always long ones because I don't want to limit my moving and watch all the time that my underpants are still hided. Too short clothes are not too practical for active sort of people as I am. I don't also wear buttons shirts because those buttons never stay closed and I don't like to share my milk factory.

I think dressing well means you have a skill to wear with weathers and not get cold

Old 08-17-2015, 12:52 AM

3,125 posts, read 3,032,240 times
This isn't Europe.

Old 08-17-2015, 02:43 AM

6,784 posts, read 5,510,915 times
Lonerandsad :

if you like Europe so much, go back there !

I dress 'casual'...in dressy pants {or shorts} and a dress shirt {no tie, that is what makes it 'casual'}, and a gray or tan tam.

BUT: I also dress in Hawaiian shirts for the hotter months {since we came back from Hawaii} and baseball caps {SO American!}

I do have to say I dress better than most men I know here.

We are ONLY "fashonistas" in NYC and LA maybe, not like in Italy or PAris or the like, sorry.

Oh well,

Old 08-17-2015, 02:43 AM

10,229 posts, read 16,322,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by norman_w View Post
Nobody wears a watch anymore.
I do. Since I'm not joined at the hip with my phone as is customary anymore, I find it annoying as Hell to pull my phone out of my purse to check time.

Old 08-17-2015, 02:46 AM

400 posts, read 576,936 times
I used to be really into fashion and looking nice but I lived in a low income area of Buffalo for a few years and got annoyed with men hitting on me and making comments. Jealous women and their crazy threats were no fun either. I was followed, swore at for thinking I looked to good for some men. So I dressed down and fewer problems. It became a bad habit and now I only dress up when needed. Just tees, jeans, comfy yoga pants, capris now. Plus I work more on construction sites, home remodeling and sometimes landacaping our properties than I do in the office so I wear thinks that can get ruined without regret. Problem for me now I have gotten so used to the lack of harrassment, I feel weird dressing up. I hate when people look at me because I stick out by looking different than my usual self.

Old 08-17-2015, 06:19 AM

4,103 posts, read 5,438,897 times
Americans dress for comfort, regardless of how wealthy they are. Here in Florida youll see someone in shorts, a T-shirt and flip flops walk out of the store and get into their Mercedes. Why? Because 99 degrees and 90% humidity.

Old 08-17-2015, 07:19 AM

2,222 posts, read 2,351,836 times
I refuse to be a slave to fashion !

As you age and mature, you realize what a bad investment fashionable clothes are and how you should have invested the money spent on clothes on something that doesn't depreciate instantly after handing over your money to the cashier.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty