Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2015, 04:43 PM

5,570 posts, read 7,305,006 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jowel View Post
Hey, don't be bashing Dilbert, who stood for logic, intelligence, pragmatism and efficiency.
... and looked like a doofus.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2015, 10:52 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,094,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jowel View Post
I would agree except many long sleeve shirts are narrow near the bottom of the sleeves, and generally don't look particularly neat when they're rolled up because of the way they're designed.
All the long sleeve dress shirts my SO wears have buttons at the end of the sleeves. You can then unbutton the sleeves and get a nice rolled up look.

Do they make dress shirts without buttons at the wrists?

Old 06-27-2015, 05:38 AM

6,210 posts, read 4,674,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apexgds View Post
... and looked like a doofus.
Oh well... people have different opinions on what looks bad. There are all kinds of fashion statements that I think look absolutely hideous that have been in style at one point or are trending right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
All the long sleeve dress shirts my SO wears have buttons at the end of the sleeves. You can then unbutton the sleeves and get a nice rolled up look.

Do they make dress shirts without buttons at the wrists?
It's true that dress shirts I've seen have buttons at the wrists. I think the design issue with rolling the sleeves up is that shirts are cut with different arm widths, and most always seem a little too narrow to be comfortable or look good/neat with the sleeves rolled up.

Old 06-27-2015, 06:41 AM

2,912 posts, read 2,454,641 times
Glad I don't have some dumb dress code. I wear short sleeve shirts, mostly polo in the summer (way too many 90+ days here in the summer with high humidity), and long sleeve once the highs start getting below 50 degrees. Rolling up sleeves is way too much hassle for me. I have a mile walk from the metro to my office and wearing long sleeve shirts is not practical. Frankly, I couldn't care less about fashion and if others think it looks dorky or it's not "sexy", never have and never will. It's all about comfort to me.

Last edited by david0966; 06-27-2015 at 07:12 AM..

Old 07-01-2015, 04:56 AM

6,612 posts, read 3,697,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
I've always thought a man in rolled up long sleeves, on the forearm, in a well fitting dress shirt was very sexy.
I agree - that's what I was envisioning, having seen that look on men. I have looked up Google images of, which mostly shows sleeves rolled above the elbow, which is not what I thought was usual. That can look okay, but can also appear like the short-sleeve shirt. (They also showed diagrams of how to roll sleeves properly).

Old 07-01-2015, 05:06 AM

7,499 posts, read 6,332,492 times
I think i started wearing short sleeve shirts after I bought the Minor threat CD when I was about 19:

I always thought they looked badass.

Old 07-01-2015, 05:17 AM

2,085 posts, read 2,151,283 times
Short sleeve button down shirts look extremely childish and silly on grown men, outside of the most casual of settings. Politicians also use the rolled up sleeve look to convey the visual impression that theyve really been hard at work trying to get things done....It also makes them look less formal, giving them a relatable, common-man appearance, yet still not looking silly and childish as they would if they were wearing a short sleve button down.

Old 07-03-2015, 04:02 AM

6,612 posts, read 3,697,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forgotten username View Post
I think i started wearing short sleeve shirts after I bought the Minor threat CD when I was about 19:

I always thought they looked badass.
Ooh, I like the look of the guy on the far right.. haha.

I was thinking.. boy, the things we can find to debate about around here!

Old 07-03-2015, 10:53 AM

8,276 posts, read 11,969,037 times
I rolled up my sleeves, and verily, the waters did part in front of me. I felt like Moses..

Old 07-04-2015, 08:00 AM

24,845 posts, read 11,286,078 times
I am not going to read the whole thread.

Show me nice cotton short sleeve shirts for "extra wide over short", no floral, no bright colors, no polos or TShirts, must have pockets.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty