Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2016, 10:15 AM

4,103 posts, read 5,428,704 times

Advertisements

Here in Florida it is extremely common to roll up the sleeves of your dress shirt. If someones cuffs are wrinkled we all know why. There's only so much you can do in 95 degree 80% humidity regions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2016, 11:07 AM

30,902 posts, read 33,013,051 times
I love the look. Now it gets bowels-of-hell hot where I am, so yes, I would want a man to be comfortable v. "fashionable," but I do think the rolled-sleeve look is super cute and it works in so many different situations. IMO.

Old 05-10-2016, 11:38 AM

18,069 posts, read 18,826,533 times
Note, live in Miami...

I hate the rolled sleeve look, it makes no sense to me at all. It looks ridiculous and looks like someone who does not have enough sense to dress appropriately for the weather. I understand it though for those who have to wear long sleeves to work, but for those who have a choice, makes no sense. I know plenty of people who actually just change real quick when they need to go outside for a bit. For most people, being outside for a little bit like to get lunch, having long sleeves will not matter, it is only when out for a while it starts getting hot, but by then a person is a sweaty mess anyway.

Polos are ridiculous and always have been, save those for the eight year olds.

When I need to go to the office, depending on the weather, I will wear a long sleeve dress shirt tucked in or a cubanera; most guys wear a cubanera where I work. Being here in Miami, I am glad my office has some common sense on dress codes. I rarely ever need to wear a suit.

Old 05-10-2016, 03:00 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,670,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwguydc View Post
There's no such thing as a short sleeve dress shirt, though, and many wear regular dress shirts and roll sleeves at lunch or on a more casual day, but can still fold them down and put a jacket on when required to do so. Personally, I don't roll sleeves as they invariably get wrinkled, and limit exertion when outside on hot and humid days in dress clothing.
Exactly. I agree with you completely.

I worked in a Big 4 public accounting firm and the managing partner and some of the other partners always rolled their sleeves up. I rarely did it because of the wrinkling and the time it took to do it right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogarven View Post
Short sleeve with a tie looks like the "Geek Squad " at Best Buy. I wore those back in the '70s until my brother who worked for Saks firmly corrected me. LOL
The only people I ever saw wearing short sleeve dress shirts were computer programmers and engineers. Their shirts usually looked like they had slept in them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
Me too - I picture short sleeved dress shirts on accountant types with a pocket protector on the shirt.
Not the accountants I worked with at a Big 4 firm. Most wore starched custom made white or light blue shirts. One guy's shirts were so heavily starched that I'm sure the shirt would stand up by itself.

Old 05-10-2016, 05:18 PM

1 posts, read 553 times
I'm a long sleeve chap. In my neck of the woods, I prefer the option of rolling my sleeves up for the odd hour of sun and rolling them down when the expected rain arrives. If it is a casual look your after, wear what you and the weather want.

Old 05-10-2016, 05:53 PM

1,491 posts, read 3,117,272 times
besides, how are we supposed to get our farmers tan if we don't?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty