Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2015, 11:57 AM

10,115 posts, read 19,423,731 times

Advertisements

Charlie---an oldie but goodie! Reminds me of my youth. Currently available at a drugstore near you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2015, 12:15 PM

41,990 posts, read 75,279,142 times
I like White Linen. It's not that old, but it's not hip anymore, either.

Old 11-18-2015, 12:40 PM

White Shoulders

Old 11-18-2015, 04:17 PM

6,750 posts, read 5,734,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sansea View Post
Today, my father gave me "Blue Waltz", a fragrance my mother had unopened and tucked away.

While different from "Evening in Paris" it made me think of all the favorite fragrances of yesteryear.

As a child, I loved the Ben Franklin Dime Store, and all the beauty products on display.

I especially loved the way fragrances were marketed... and still do.

As an adult, Chanel No 5 has been a favorite for many decades, as well as Niki de Saint Phalle.

But still, the smell of "Blue Waltz" was deeply soothing... like an old, loved friend.

Scent is such a powerful memory.

I have no conscious recollection of this fragrance from years past, but I am touched by how much I loved it when I opened it.

Is it crazy to wear it?

Do you wear fragrances from yesteryear?

I'm older, but still a little sassy...

I love fragrances and use to work as a perfume demonstrator when I was a teenager. Old or new ... a good scent is always a great thing. One thing I learned as a demonstrator is that fragrances smell slightly different on each person. My grandmother always use to wear a certain Nini Rici fragrances that smelled so wonderful on her. I tried it on and sound not stand the smell on me. I worked next to the Dior Fragrance counter and grew a disgust towards one other men's fragrances, but was superprised when I met someone wearing it and it was wonderful on them. I think fragrances need to be judged by their smell on the person and not the cost, bottle or brand name. There are several less popular ones I fll in love with and it was cool that no one else was wearing it. The best way to buy a fragrance is to try in on and wear it for a few hours and see how it smells. Silly thing about this is you need someone else's opinion becasue of sensory adaptation to give input on this.

Old 11-18-2015, 04:27 PM

9,196 posts, read 7,242,084 times
CK One and Burberry. I've always been incredibly picky when it comes to fragrance, and generally hate traditionally feminine scents, so I wear either unisex fragrances or one that has a spicey scent.

Old 11-18-2015, 05:23 PM

2,294 posts, read 3,433,569 times
My mother used to wear Tweed by Lentheric and a real oldie 4711 Eau De Cologne. The smell of both remind me of her and my nanna too.

I wore Charlie for years, then came the 80's when I dabbled in Opium and Jean Paul Gaultier. I can't wear Chanel No.5 it turns to a cat pee like substance on contact with my skin.

Nowadays I'm a Happy girl, Happy Heart, Happy to be .... love them all.

Old 11-18-2015, 07:38 PM

6,750 posts, read 5,734,319 times
Too many great fragrances to choose from. I have more fragrances then I have time to wear and vast variety. Something I like bold and dramatic like Angel, CoCo, Opium, Givenchy or Jean Paul Gautier. Other times I live to keep is lighter Channel 5, Cool Water, Tommy Girl. I also like wearing fruity stuff too at times like coconut, peach or vanilla scents just to mix it up. I choose a fragrance based on my mood (or whatever one is nearest to my hand on days when I am really in a hurry). If your day sucks... at least it can still smell good :P!

Old 11-20-2015, 01:51 PM

Strangely enough, a favorite scent of mine was not a fragrance at all, but rather a hairspray!

It was a cheap, store brand, and I can't remember what it was I always got compliments when I wore it, although I never smelled the fragrance when I applied it, it jut smelled like hairspray! After awhile it developed the scent, which I noticed, too. Too bad can't remember what it was!

Old 11-22-2015, 11:48 AM

664 posts, read 1,028,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I have Shalimar and Tabu right now. I usually wear Shalimar. The only newer fragrance I like lately is Angel.
I used to wear Poison, but I don't know if that is old or new.
I love Shalimar. I always get compliments when I wear it,

Old 11-22-2015, 12:59 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,242,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alinka View Post
My mother-in-law, obviously not my biggest fan, gave me a huge gift box of Poison. I must have looked less than thrilled; her comment was that since I like a "drug scent" so much- Opium- I would probably like Poison too. With just a little poison in her tone, and I never liked it anyway (her tone and the scent).
OMG....Back in the 80's my then teen aged daughter would drown herself in poison....Still can't stand it lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty