Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2008, 02:43 PM

8,189 posts, read 31,263,920 times

Advertisements

I have been using the same black purse for just under 10 years. I bought it at the flea market for $20. It replaced one that was exactly the same that was almost 15 years old.

For me, a purse is just somewhere to store & tote my junk that I can't leave at home. I don't consider it an accessory and I have never dragged one into a job interview.

I guess the world I live in is less superficial and less image oriented than others. I quit caring what name was on something when I got out of high school. I certainly could never justify spending the money just to have extra purses that I would never use.

Now, hairdoodles on the other hand........
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2008, 02:57 PM

11 posts, read 146,031 times
Oh my...I'm starting to think that my tom-boy tendencies have followed me into adulthood! I've had the same purse for the past couple of years. It's a lime green Muppets purse -- that's right -- Miss Piggy, Kermit, and friends are proudly displayed on my purse with some very cute embellishments.

I'm 23 and have received a ton of compliments about the purse!

Old 01-23-2008, 04:53 PM

859 posts, read 3,324,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evey View Post
I have been using the same black purse for just under 10 years. I bought it at the flea market for $20. It replaced one that was exactly the same that was almost 15 years old.

For me, a purse is just somewhere to store & tote my junk that I can't leave at home. I don't consider it an accessory and I have never dragged one into a job interview.

I guess the world I live in is less superficial and less image oriented than others. I quit caring what name was on something when I got out of high school. I certainly could never justify spending the money just to have extra purses that I would never use.

Now, hairdoodles on the other hand........
It's definately a to each their own thing.

Purses are definately my thing. I don't care about names or what other people think...I just think they are so cute and such a great accessory and it makes me happy to treat myself to ones I like.

On the other hand, even though I like clothes, I don't care nearly as much. I would never buy jeans or other items that cost the amount of some of my bags. Sometimes when I add up the cost of everything else I am wearing, my bag still costs more. I would live in matching sweat suits if I could lol.

Then some people don't like bags or clothes or anything fashion...but you find they have another hidden obsession...electronics...movies...we all have something

Old 01-23-2008, 05:36 PM

2,689 posts, read 6,941,260 times
I'm a lot like you. LittleMissSunshine. I don't spend a lot on my purses. Probably the most expensive one was $30. But I like having the variety.

As far as clothes go, I'm not a label person, per se, but I do find that some brands fit better than others. For instance, the jeans that fit me best are Abercrombie jeans, but I don't want to spend $65 a pair. So I buy 'em off Ebay. My last "score" was 3 pairs of jeans for 99 cents ($8.00 shipping)! Woot! That made me happy.

I like certian brands, but not enough to pay full price for 'em.

Old 01-24-2008, 06:02 AM

15,880 posts, read 21,488,248 times
I might buy one a year.. and that's only after one of my previous ones breaks (I use my purses like I would a car- ride it down until it can't be ridden anymore :P). My impression of a person is a whole heck of a lot worse if they're toting a hideous Coach, Dooney and Bourke, Louis Voitton, Vera Bradley, or any other purse of their ilk. I buy all my purses from 10 Thousand Villages where the purses are made by co-ops in various foreign countries or my friends get me bags on their travels.

Old 01-24-2008, 08:48 AM

5,835 posts, read 5,215,409 times
I'm sure this will sound boring to most of you, but I haven't purchased a new purse/bag in over eight years! I have three different authentic Louis' that I rotate and that is it. I started collecting in 1985 with the classic handbag and then the shoulder strap and the last was the big drawstring, along with keychain and wallet. It goes with everything and lasts forever. Never been a trendy person so it works for me.

Old 01-24-2008, 12:13 PM

2,689 posts, read 6,941,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
My impression of a person is a whole heck of a lot worse if they're toting a hideous Coach, Dooney and Bourke, Louis Voitton, Vera Bradley, or any other purse of their ilk.

Wow... you'd really judge a person simply by what they're carrying their stuff in?

Old 01-24-2008, 12:21 PM

5,835 posts, read 5,215,409 times
How about a paper bag?LOL!

Old 01-24-2008, 12:26 PM

3,567 posts, read 3,739,245 times
I usually break down and buy a new handbag every year. Someone will design something I think I love, then after a month or two I end up going back to the leather bag I bought at the Stockyards in Texas (in 1995!). So organized!

Old 01-24-2008, 01:34 PM

5,826 posts, read 9,619,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calibound-Yorkiemom View Post
That statement gave me a vison of not too appealing of an outfit. IMO I like to put my best foot forward in eveything I do. Part of that for me is looking my best.
What we have here is a miscommunication. What you and I consider to be beyond repair are very apt to be two entirely different things.

I also said that I then use the fabric of said garments in other sewing projects such as quilts and pillows. Why? Because I found the original garment to be so comfortable that I want to incorporate it into something else that is both new and comfortable.

Putting your best foot forward after you reach retirement age means offering your hand in a greeting and smiling. Neither of these are manufacutred under a designer name anywhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty