Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2015, 12:20 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,942,118 times

Advertisements

"but trends aren't fashions."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2015, 12:25 PM

4,992 posts, read 5,363,967 times
I loved those pants back in the 80's. It was crazy and fun and colorful. I hated 90's fashion. Denim and khaki and everything seemed like a uniform. There were a limited number of colors in clothing. The ones available were not flattering to my skin tones.

Old 03-15-2015, 01:01 PM

2,048 posts, read 2,180,132 times
1) Too late. Stores like American Apparel have been peddling early nineties fashions for at least 3 years now. I can't wait for those high-waisted shorts and skirts to go away again, if they haven't already.

2) The fashions you reference were actually 80s fashions. That, too, has already come and gone.

I feel like popular fashion (let's call this 'mass-market clothes for young people', not necessarily 'fashion week' items) has been so heavily reliant on the rehashing of former decades, since the millenium, that there won't be a singular '2000s' or '2010s' look to rehash later. Oh, I suppose they'll find an item or two that was unique. But otherwise it's an endless cycle of twenties-nineties trends, over and over again. Even thinking of what I see young urbanites wearing now - is that a new fashion or is that just a redo of another decade? It's getting harder to tell.

Last edited by Mimidae; 03-15-2015 at 01:29 PM..

Old 03-15-2015, 02:13 PM

555 posts, read 810,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallouise View Post
1) Too late. Stores like American Apparel have been peddling early nineties fashions for at least 3 years now. I can't wait for those high-waisted shorts and skirts to go away again, if they haven't already.

2) The fashions you reference were actually 80s fashions. That, too, has already come and gone.

I feel like popular fashion (let's call this 'mass-market clothes for young people', not necessarily 'fashion week' items) has been so heavily reliant on the rehashing of former decades, since the millenium, that there won't be a singular '2000s' or '2010s' look to rehash later. Oh, I suppose they'll find an item or two that was unique. But otherwise it's an endless cycle of twenties-nineties trends, over and over again. Even thinking of what I see young urbanites wearing now - is that a new fashion or is that just a redo of another decade? It's getting harder to tell.
Fashion Groundhog Day!

Old 03-15-2015, 04:20 PM

34,941 posts, read 36,485,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sydlee View Post
You're right. The disconnect apparent in this thread is probably related to grade/middle school vs high school vs college vs workplace, who you hung out with, and also related to regional differences. I was a young adult right when the 90s began in Los Angeles, and it was wide legged jeans, plaid, plaid, and more plaid button up shirts, sometimes with one of those bodysuit things (snap at the crotch, joy) beneath the plaid and wide legged jeans. For men, it was, weather permitting, henley tops, with a plaid shirt on top, jeans. Women also wore baby tees with slip dresses over them, grounding this ephemeral look with chunky Doc Martens. Keep in mind we didn't dress like that every day -- some days, it was something as simple as a clean Tshirt paired with plaid boxer shorts (like men's undies, but the hole in front is sewn up) with our school name printed on them. (Anyone remember those?) Or at least that's how a lot of us undergrads dressed. (I do recall the male MBA students wearing their uniform: khaki pants-blue button up shirt-with Cordura messenger bag slung cross body.)

I do remember the baggy sweatshirts, the jellies, and the neon colors ("Choose Life" a la Frankie Goes to Hollywood) mentioned in this thread, but those were from the early to mid-80s in my neck of the woods. By 1990/91, we were firmly entrenched in the looks I described earlier.

One thing I really liked about the grunge look: It didn't cost very much. I do remember fashion houses trying very hard to capitalize on this look by incorporating grunge elements into their lines, but I don't remember them having much success, and seem to recall this frustrated them. Thank goodness. Grunge was very egalitarian. I remember people getting cheap, way oversized workman jeans (like from the hardware store), cinching them up with a belt, and in some cases stapling(!) the hems just off the ground. I remember walking to campus in my wide legged jeans (no staples though), any old tee, and my favorite (only) plaid flannel shirt (tied around my waist, naturally), which I had purchased from the men's section at Sears. Good quality fabric -- so different from what passes as plaid shirts in the mall these days (though sturdy plaid flannel still can be had at some shops today).

By the mid-90s, a lot of us were digging stuff out of our parents' closet and mixing their 70s threads w/our 90s stuff. Looked very homegrown, very "real," and would've fit right in with today's DIY crowd.

I seem to recall at some point in the mid to later 90s, fashion houses pushed a very structured, 1960s look. Lot of shantung silk, I think. Very nice, but that's not how we dressed on the street. I'm sure somewhere in some high fashion areas, some people were probably dressed like that -- just not where I was hanging out post-college.

To each his/her own.
Ah, yes...grunge...the style we could all wear and not have an easy time telling who had the most money.

Your synopsis mirrors my experience here on the East coast. Maybe the flyover states took longer to adapt to grunge?

I miss babydoll dresses.

Old 03-15-2015, 04:57 PM

6,686 posts, read 5,114,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangejello View Post
The bold colors are definitely early 90s fashion. I distinctly remember lots of bright colors going on back then. I also remember crop tops from the entire 90s, and I hated them (still do!). I see high school girls around here wearing high-waisted short shorts with a crop top and it takes me back. Even saw one wearing a floral print vest over it. That I can do without.

Does anyone remember how baggy/bulky everything seemed back then? There wasn't a lot of shape to clothes. That's what bothers me the most, I guess. I prefer things that are in classic shapes and tailored. I don't want to go around looking like Elaine from the early years of Seinfeld. I'll take late 90s Elaine any day, though. The late 90s started to get their act together a little more.
You are really describing the 80s in New England as well. We had classic Levis and Wranglers that were worn tight but the big baggie look with tapered legs was popular too among some types. And crop tops - totally 80s. I had a bunch. Loved them before the muffin top came to live here!

Never had worn docs or uggs or crocs but I did get a new pair of Minnetonka's a couple of years back. Sneakers, hiking boots, tevas, shorts and Levis, sweatshirts, Ts and tanks are my attire for the rest of my life. I'm comfy and happy.

Last edited by WouldLoveTo; 03-15-2015 at 05:13 PM..

Old 03-15-2015, 08:45 PM

18,604 posts, read 7,489,667 times
Funny, I turned 30 in 1995, and I have no memory of any sort of 1990s fashion, good or bad, that wasn't popular in other decades. I don't think there was any 90's fashion.

Last edited by hbdwihdh378y9; 03-15-2015 at 08:59 PM..

Old 03-15-2015, 08:58 PM

388 posts, read 539,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sydlee View Post
I remember a lot of girls wearing Doc Martens with their baby tees and slip dresses. Loved the look -- and comfortable, too!
I miss the 90's.
As a guy... And I miss some of the female fashion just like what you mentioned.. I thought it was kinda sexy.
(See below)

I still dress with a hint of 90's grunge fashion.
...And I've been waring Doc's for about 25 years now
Bought 2 more pairs 2 months ago (Doc Boots and shoes)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanessamichaels View Post
Doc martins are unfeminine. Never saw them at fashion week. If you think they are cool that is your preference. But this is about fashion and they were never considered in fashion.

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/427490189603941142/

A shirt can be unfeminine, so can a skirt, a dress, a jacket, or boots.
Anything can be feminine or unfeminine depending on how and with what it is worn with.

And yes, they have been in fashion week, and have been considered part of fashion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanessamichaels View Post
There is a difference between fashion and trends.
Ugly Christmas sweaters are trendy but they are not fashionable because they are ugly Christmas sweaters.

You're the one seem to have a problem with the difference between trendy and fashion
A trend IS fashion that happens at a certain time.

Grunge, for example, was a trend in fashion that happened primarily in the 90's.
Emo was a trend in fashion that happened in the early 2000's
Hipster is a trend in fashion that has been going on for the past few years
The cut off shirts you mentioned in Mean Girls was a trend in fashion that lasted less than 5 minutes in a movie.

Old 03-15-2015, 09:35 PM

11,654 posts, read 13,117,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
Agreed. All the stuff the OP mentioned was big in the 80s. Some places are behind fashion-wise. I assume OP lives/lived in such a place.
Exactly.

In Iraq, for example, people were deadset stuck in the mid-late 80s up until 1995. The hair, the pants (what the OP linked), the tops...

It was not until 1996 where you saw people looking like out of the 90s in there...

Old 03-15-2015, 09:58 PM

22,112 posts, read 29,770,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbdwihdh378y9 View Post
Funny, I turned 30 in 1995, and I have no memory of any sort of 1990s fashion, good or bad, that wasn't popular in other decades. I don't think there was any 90's fashion.
You know what? My mother says the same - she was 30 in 1995 as well.

Funnily enough, I told her that 80s fashion is coming back, and she responded by saying 'Why the hell would anyone want to bring back the 80s?!', lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty