Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2015, 01:36 AM

555 posts, read 804,225 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangejello View Post
Look, I was alive in the 90s. I remember jelly sandals, crop tops, and acid wash jeans. When I look back at those photos now I wonder what on Earth were we all thinking? At least the 60s and 70s offered some modern takes on classic pieces, but the 90s is a free for all, straight out of an acid trip, neon and floral printed nightmare. I saw a rack of printed ladies pants the other day reminiscent of Zubaz:

Product Detail | H&M US

Do you remember Zubaz?
I do. Let's not relive that decade.
I think you have your decades wrong. That was the 80s.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2015, 06:39 AM

2,492 posts, read 3,030,069 times
Jellies were gone by the 90's even in NC.They were definitely early 80's even in less fashion forward areas. I have a hunch that the OP might be too young to remember correctly but if you lived during the 80's the styles changed drastically going into the 90's no matter where in the US you were.

Old 03-14-2015, 08:59 AM

49 posts, read 84,832 times
Totally eighties the first time around.

Jelly shoes came back into style in the early 2000s. They are out of style again. But those already came back and went out of style again.

Did you miss that?

And crop tops came back into style two years ago.

And floral prints were real big again five years ago.

Old 03-14-2015, 09:59 AM

289 posts, read 504,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanessamichaels View Post
Totally eighties the first time around.

Jelly shoes came back into style in the early 2000s. They are out of style again. But those already came back and went out of style again.

Did you miss that?

And crop tops came back into style two years ago.

And floral prints were real big again five years ago.
The bold colors are definitely early 90s fashion. I distinctly remember lots of bright colors going on back then. I also remember crop tops from the entire 90s, and I hated them (still do!). I see high school girls around here wearing high-waisted short shorts with a crop top and it takes me back. Even saw one wearing a floral print vest over it. That I can do without.

Does anyone remember how baggy/bulky everything seemed back then? There wasn't a lot of shape to clothes. That's what bothers me the most, I guess. I prefer things that are in classic shapes and tailored. I don't want to go around looking like Elaine from the early years of Seinfeld. I'll take late 90s Elaine any day, though. The late 90s started to get their act together a little more.

Old 03-14-2015, 10:11 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,563,461 times
What's big when really varies based on where you are. My 90s experience was defined by being in hs (1991-1995) and college (1995-1999). There are a lot of looks I'd still embrace from then if they came back.

Some of my favorite things I wore then are at odds with what people are describing, because there were a variety of looks going on simultaeneously. While some recall baggy attire, I wore a lot of form-fitting scoopneck bodysuits, very ballet-like, with belted, wide-leg jeans, black chunky mary jane shoes, ribbon choker necklaces, matte lipstick, etc. Some people wore baggy, hip hop attire some wore Kurt Cobain pilly banlon grandpa cardigans over thermal shirts with knit caps, elephant leg bell jeans with frayed hems and wallet chains . None of those were my thing, but they were def. there.

Old 03-14-2015, 01:41 PM

555 posts, read 804,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
What's big when really varies based on where you are. My 90s experience was defined by being in hs (1991-1995) and college (1995-1999). There are a lot of looks I'd still embrace from then if they came back.

Some of my favorite things I wore then are at odds with what people are describing, because there were a variety of looks going on simultaeneously. While some recall baggy attire, I wore a lot of form-fitting scoopneck bodysuits, very ballet-like, with belted, wide-leg jeans, black chunky mary jane shoes, ribbon choker necklaces, matte lipstick, etc. Some people wore baggy, hip hop attire some wore Kurt Cobain pilly banlon grandpa cardigans over thermal shirts with knit caps, elephant leg bell jeans with frayed hems and wallet chains . None of those were my thing, but they were def. there.
Bringin' back the old school... Great memories!!! Loved that fashion!

Old 03-14-2015, 01:42 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,230,433 times
Quote:
Look, I was alive in the 90s. I remember jelly sandals, crop tops, and acid wash jeans. When I look back at those photos now I wonder what on Earth were we all thinking? At least the 60s and 70s offered some modern takes on classic pieces, but the 90s is a free for all, straight out of an acid trip, neon and floral printed nightmare. I saw a rack of printed ladies pants the other day reminiscent of Zubaz:

Product Detail | H&M US

Do you remember Zubaz? I do. Let's not relive that decade.

Why not skip "fashion" all together and wear what you like that fits well and is comfortable and appropriate for the situation you are in?

Old 03-14-2015, 02:04 PM

2,144 posts, read 1,878,577 times
Yup, that stuff was firmly in the 80s around me. The 90s were grunge! Plaid flannel and black, combat boots. Ripped jeans. And skateboard style... lots of printed tees and converse. Baby doll dresses.

I loved the 90s style. Quirky and comfortable.

Old 03-14-2015, 02:12 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,249,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murk View Post
Yup, that stuff was firmly in the 80s around me. The 90s were grunge! Plaid flannel and black, combat boots. Ripped jeans. And skateboard style... lots of printed tees and converse. Baby doll dresses.

I loved the 90s style. Quirky and comfortable.
You and I have the same recollection of both eras.

Old 03-14-2015, 02:13 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,249,994 times
Quote:
The bold colors are definitely early 90s fashion. I distinctly remember lots of bright colors going on back then. I also remember crop tops from the entire 90s, and I hated them (still do!). I see high school girls around here wearing high-waisted short shorts with a crop top and it takes me back. Even saw one wearing a floral print vest over it. That I can do without.

Does anyone remember how baggy/bulky everything seemed back then? There wasn't a lot of shape to clothes. That's what bothers me the most, I guess. I prefer things that are in classic shapes and tailored. I don't want to go around looking like Elaine from the early years of Seinfeld. I'll take late 90s Elaine any day, though. The late 90s started to get their act together a little more.
Where do you live???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty