Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2015, 07:51 PM

48,502 posts, read 97,003,010 times

Advertisements

I would say now days a well made leather purse was only 35 dollars in materials and wages just to make plus add a profit. You can buy cheaper ones every day by the boat load ;if that is what you want. Even amazon such purse start out at 44 dollars as my wife has been looking and that is a very small purse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2015, 08:03 PM

15,642 posts, read 26,315,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Knight View Post
Do women's purses actually "wear out"?
Is it not more likely they will just go out of fashion?
3 30 dollar purses should last forever... how do you wear out a purse? Possibly too much crappola it?
Oh yeah -- I've worn purses out. Velcro tabs stop holding, snaps tear out, straps undo...especially when you wear it everyday.

Old 03-10-2015, 08:40 PM

37,722 posts, read 46,165,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xS☺B☺s View Post
There's a lot of that extreme vanity around here in Dallas. It's womens' way of walking around with their d***s hanging out. They think if they dress up in Gucci clothes and have a 2K bag, a handsome oilman will rush to marry them and move them into the Highland Park mansion. But it doesn't usually work out that way. First of all, most rich oil men are old fat guys. Second, old money families don't strut, so more likely they attract the $30K millionaires. Lastly I say, better off spending your money on a boob job and a gym membership. I'd wager 99.9% of guys anywhere couldn't tell a Prada bag from a Vuitton, but they could pick Pam Anderson out of a crowd from 100 paces.
LOL! Sorry hon, women don't buy expensive bags to impress men. What a hilarious thought.

Old 03-10-2015, 11:04 PM

10,116 posts, read 19,445,406 times
The way I see it, a purse is something to put your money into. The more you spend on the purse, the less you need it......

Old 03-10-2015, 11:24 PM

2,144 posts, read 1,884,820 times
I'll never understand the concept of spending tons of money on a purse or clothing. I recently purchased my most expensive purse ever. I needed a larger one and the old one was getting a bit tired looking after 5 years. That one I got at Walmart for $18 and yes, it was all still intact and functional. I spent $48 on this one, and almost felt ridiculous doing so, but I had a hard time finding one that was close to what I needed.

Other than the (tacky, in my opinion) ones with the logos all over them, most of the expensive purses I see don't look that much different than what you can find in a regular department store.

I guess I just don't understand how someone cannot feel guilty walking around with a $200+ purse. I would constantly be thinking "the extra $150 could've fed a homeless family for a month" or "this could buy 5 poor women business outfits so they can interview for jobs" or buy dog food for a shelter for a month or anything! And instead it's just something to toss your wallet and keys in.

Old 03-10-2015, 11:27 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,955,372 times
There are a lot of people making moral judgements on how people choose to spend their money. It is very strange.

Old 03-10-2015, 11:41 PM

6,048 posts, read 18,455,207 times
Ooops

Last edited by Southlander; 03-10-2015 at 11:46 PM.. Reason: Duplicate post

Old 03-10-2015, 11:45 PM

6,048 posts, read 18,455,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
My mother used to sew a lot of our clothes, she always washed and dried the material 2x before sewing it. Interesting, the pre-and post measurements! What a shame it would have been to spend all that time making an item just to have it shrink the first washing
I did that, too, back when I sewed a lot of my clothes. But the quality of fabric got so bad, and the cost rose so much, that I quit sewing clothes. Now I just hem and repair clothes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murk View Post
I guess I just don't understand how someone cannot feel guilty walking around with a $200+ purse...it's just something to toss your wallet and keys in.
I do most of the family shopping and banking out of my purse. It gets abused pretty badly. I will spring up to $150 for a quality leather handbag. I use it every day, carry it everywhere, and keep it for around 2 or more years. By the time I replace it, the bag is petty worn out.
I'd rather not spend that much, but that's how much a good quality leather bag costs.

And no, I'd prefer not to buy used. I have in the past...with mixed results.

Old 03-11-2015, 12:08 AM

1,769 posts, read 1,237,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
LOL! Sorry hon, women don't buy expensive bags to impress men. What a hilarious thought.
what? you don't think a man will think "dam! she has an awesome purse, i need to marry her!" ??? haha!

Old 03-11-2015, 01:10 AM

1,135 posts, read 1,774,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by openmike View Post
Womans fashions are one of the largest scams in the world retail cycles almost justifying knock offs ( if made well as some are not). Purses and handbags unless diamond or gems studded are generally made for 1/4 the retail charge. The popularity is driven by customer susceptibility of womens greed, an illusion of prestige ( once the market is flooded no-
body cares and nobody impressed) . Women actually who spend hundreds for a purse are mostly mocked , considered fools and materialistic suckers. My wife yesterday bought a non oustentatious medium sized all leather purse for $18 at a
second hand store in mint condition which sells for $145 at
TJMax She gets designer clothes for $4 at Goodwill . A vest that sells for $350 she paid $12 and its seriously like totally new! God I like her! The exploitation of womans fashions has
cause many to go into severe debt driven by image, in-
security ,attractive features ,competition, and marketing
frenzy like QVC and so-called sales.
You sound like my husband, if I had one!

You post the horrible truth and I, too, can afford such idiotic purchases, but thankfully, refuse to make them.

Now I shop almost exclusively at Goodwill 'cause I get GREAT buys and it's become sort of a hobby since I no longer need to work for a living.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty