Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2015, 11:52 PM

34,941 posts, read 36,328,425 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cindersslipper View Post
I cant go into those places (second hand clothing) they remind me of death and smell like poverty.
I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks that. Those places freak me out.

Old 03-10-2015, 02:11 AM

6,109 posts, read 10,928,973 times
Gawd I have women friends who have $5000+ handbags. I think the whole thing is insane but I just keep my mouth shut- they make great money and I guess they be able to spend it any way they see fit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2015, 03:09 AM

8,869 posts, read 16,346,794 times
I buy almost anything second hand (except mattresses). But I do have a problem with second-hand bags because I know where some of mine have been:

-In the baby seat of a supermarket shopping cart where some baby might have sat his poopy pants
-On the floor of a restaurant
-Who-knows-where when a public restroom has no hook on the door
-On the floor in someone else's house
-On the seats and floors of airliners, subways, and buses

I am always wiping my bags down with disinfectant wipes, but I don't know if other people did. And who knows what people carry in their bags. Paris Hilton carries a dog in her unimaginably expensive designer handbags.

I wouldn't pay a lot for an evening bag or a purse I would use only rarely. But to me an everyday bag is like eyeglasses or sunglasses. I figure out the per-use/per-year and base what I can afford on that. To me, a bag that is designed to organize what I carry in a way suitable to me makes me willing to pay extra. I want a divider (one side for permanent things, one side for temporary carries); a pocket for my phone; an easy-to-access pocket for my keys; room for a book or a tablet computer; the strap has to be secure, substantial, and the right length; the bag has to close securely ... it's complicated! I don't carry the bag I carry for looks alone.

Old 03-10-2015, 03:11 AM

11,936 posts, read 13,145,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by openmike View Post
Womans fashions are one of the largest scams in the world retail cycles almost justifying knock offs ( if made well as some are not). Purses and handbags unless diamond or gems studded are generally made for 1/4 the retail charge. The popularity is driven by customer susceptibility of womens greed, an illusion of prestige ( once the market is flooded no-
body cares and nobody impressed) . Women actually who spend hundreds for a purse are mostly mocked , considered fools and materialistic suckers. My wife yesterday bought a non oustentatious medium sized all leather purse for $18 at a
second hand store in mint condition which sells for $145 at
TJMax She gets designer clothes for $4 at Goodwill . A vest that sells for $350 she paid $12 and its seriously like totally new! God I like her! The exploitation of womans fashions has
cause many to go into severe debt driven by image, in-
security ,attractive features ,competition, and marketing
frenzy like QVC and so-called sales.
I suggest before you start criticizing others buying habits, you take a class on grammar and punctuation.

Quote:
Great push backs by posters and to a great extent your all right! There freedom factor to prioritize decisions whether perceived by me as too over the edge which doesn't make me right only opinionated. My wife does remarkably gets those high end fashions not inexpensive ( originally) but slightly if at all used . Thanks!
High end fashion is not a vest at the Goodwill. High end fashion almost always goes to high end consignment. Just because it is expensive doesn't mean a thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquamarin View Post
I always believed a good bag makes an outfit for a woman (together with shoes). If you have a simple outfit but it is finished with a great bag it makes all the difference. I am going for quality on this one not quantity. Never owned bunch of cheap bags. Just a few expensive ones. Currently I have only two bags.
This. I have my grandmother's Hermes Kelly bag. It is 50 years old and I'm sure it cost my grandmother a fortune when she bought it back in the 1960s. It still looks amazing today.

Old 03-10-2015, 06:46 AM

37,718 posts, read 46,149,173 times
"There isn't a purse ,/ handbag worth more than $ 35 in the world! "

You know what "worth" means, right? If someone will pay $35 for it, then it is worth it, to that person. If they are willing to pay $350, then it is worth that. Your sense of value and worth does not set the bar for every other person.

Old 03-10-2015, 06:54 AM

29,616 posts, read 14,758,603 times
Quote:
Womans fashions are one of the largest scams in the world retail cycles almost justifying knock offs ( if made well as some are not). Purses and handbags unless diamond or gems studded are generally made for 1/4 the retail charge. The popularity is driven by customer susceptibility of womens greed, an illusion of prestige ( once the market is flooded no-
body cares and nobody impressed) . Women actually who spend hundreds for a purse are mostly mocked , considered fools and materialistic suckers. My wife yesterday bought a non oustentatious medium sized all leather purse for $18 at a
second hand store in mint condition which sells for $145 at
TJMax She gets designer clothes for $4 at Goodwill . A vest that sells for $350 she paid $12 and its seriously like totally new! God I like her! The exploitation of womans fashions has
cause many to go into severe debt driven by image, in-
security ,attractive features ,competition, and marketing
frenzy like QVC and so-called sales.
While I tend to agree about some of the "fashion designer" branded bags, satchels, purses etc.. they are overpriced junk , made from garbage materials you cannot say the same for high quality hand made leather and canvas goods such as :

Leather Briefcases, Bags & Satchels | American Made | Col. Littleton

Bexar Goods Co :: Texas Makers of Durable Goods — Bexar Goods Co :: Texas Makers of Durable Goods

Briefcases & Computer Bags | Filson.com | Filson

http://www.saddlebackleather.com

http://usa.hermes.com/leather/bags-a.../men/bags.html

I hate to tell you this but there are differences in leather, quality leather costs...period.
If you can purchase second hand great, that is usually the way I purchase mine.

Old 03-10-2015, 06:56 AM

17,154 posts, read 12,999,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
I buy almost anything second hand (except mattresses). But I do have a problem with second-hand bags because I know where some of mine have been:

-In the baby seat of a supermarket shopping cart where some baby might have sat his poopy pants
-On the floor of a restaurant
-Who-knows-where when a public restroom has no hook on the door
-On the floor in someone else's house
-On the seats and floors of airliners, subways, and buses

I am always wiping my bags down with disinfectant wipes, but I don't know if other people did. And who knows what people carry in their bags. Paris Hilton carries a dog in her unimaginably expensive designer handbags.

I wouldn't pay a lot for an evening bag or a purse I would use only rarely. But to me an everyday bag is like eyeglasses or sunglasses. I figure out the per-use/per-year and base what I can afford on that. To me, a bag that is designed to organize what I carry in a way suitable to me makes me willing to pay extra. I want a divider (one side for permanent things, one side for temporary carries); a pocket for my phone; an easy-to-access pocket for my keys; room for a book or a tablet computer; the strap has to be secure, substantial, and the right length; the bag has to close securely ... it's complicated! I don't carry the bag I carry for looks alone.
LOL. I'm with you. I especially hate having to put my bag on the floor of the bathroom because there's no hook on the door. But I don't like a bunch of compartments. I like the one big hole type with a couple of zippers and pockets for small items.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
"There isn't a purse ,/ handbag worth more than $ 35 in the world! "

You know what "worth" means, right? If someone will pay $35 for it, then it is worth it, to that person. If they are willing to pay $350, then it is worth that. Your sense of value and worth does not set the bar for every other person.
I ignored that opinion immediately because it was written by a guy named "Mike" who probably knows little, if anything, about the value of a woman's handbag to her day to day existence

Old 03-10-2015, 07:14 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,926,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Knight View Post
Do women's purses actually "wear out"?
Is it not more likely they will just go out of fashion?
3 30 dollar purses should last forever... how do you wear out a purse? Possibly too much crappola it?

A cheap PVC purse will wear out pretty quickly. The first thing to go is usually the edge of the straps, then the material starts wearing out anywhere that there are creases. If you carry a lot in the bag, the loops where the straps attach will start to stretch and fray. Some purses will get stiff or sticky even if you don't use them at all.

Cheaper leather bags usually stay looking nice longer, except the edge of the straps will start to come off too and sometimes the lining will start to pill.

Old 03-10-2015, 07:48 AM

5,570 posts, read 7,289,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Knight View Post
Do women's purses actually "wear out"?
Is it not more likely they will just go out of fashion?
3 30 dollar purses should last forever... how do you wear out a purse? Possibly too much crappola it?
I'm guessing you've never owned a purse. LOL!

Yes, women's purses do wear out.
No, they don't always go out of fashion, if they're in classic styles and materials.
No, $30 purses don't last forever. Cheap materials break down and come apart, regardless of how much you carry in it.

Old 03-10-2015, 07:52 AM

5,570 posts, read 7,289,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
I especially hate having to put my bag on the floor of the bathroom because there's no hook on the door.
I've been known to hang my bag around my neck if there's no hook. There's no way I'm putting it on the floor. EWWWWW!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
I ignored that opinion immediately because it was written by a guy named "Mike" who probably knows little, if anything, about the value of a woman's handbag to her day to day existence

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty