Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2015, 07:58 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,769,764 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Knight View Post
Do women's purses actually "wear out"?
Is it not more likely they will just go out of fashion?
3 30 dollar purses should last forever... how do you wear out a purse? Possibly too much crappola it?
In addition to the fraying and unraveling mentioned, the color can fade too. I've bought several $30 purses at places like Target. They're good for about a year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2015, 08:21 AM

4,200 posts, read 3,419,371 times
I was once a ninja Jedi Coach bag locator. Seriously...yard sales, like-new, $1-8.

I still own a couple. The rest were donated (too heavy, not enough pocketage, etc). These days I change my mind and gear so often I go for Baggallini.

None of these are 'wrong' or 'right' answers. Whatever suits ya.

Old 03-10-2015, 08:32 AM

13,754 posts, read 13,372,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apexgds View Post
I'm not interested in prestige or materialism. I don't care about brands or logos. I just want a good quality leather purse that looks nice and isn't used (nope, not interested in second hand). I am willing to pay more if it's something that will last a long time and will weather years of my use and abuse. I don't buy a lot of purses, but the few that I do own are in the $50-150 range and will last a long time and are classic (yet still interesting) styles.

And guess what? It's my money, so I'll spend it how I want on whatever I want with no apologies to anyone.
Me too. I have a leather purse I am in love with. I hate that it's aging. It was about $80. It helps me compartmentalize my work stuff (2 phones, travel reciepts, security badges, etc). So perfect. And professional looking.

Old 03-10-2015, 10:07 AM

29,664 posts, read 14,769,435 times
Some informative reading on leather...

The Quality Story - Chapter 4: A Lesson in Leather

Tanning - Leather Types Process Production and Forms of Leather

Old 03-10-2015, 11:03 AM

15,546 posts, read 12,064,309 times
Quote:
I've been known to hang my bag around my neck if there's no hook. There's no way I'm putting it on the floor. EWWWWW!
I do that as well.

Old 03-10-2015, 11:29 AM

170 posts, read 235,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post

I ignored that opinion immediately because it was written by a guy named "Mike" who probably knows little, if anything, about the value of a woman's handbag to her day to day existence
Well, and also, he describes how $35+ handbags are worthless and then discusses how awesome it is that his wife goes through a process to acquire these exact handbags he's just disparaged. Couldn't figure out if it was blind hypocrisy or blind ignorance.

Old 03-10-2015, 11:50 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,696,989 times
Quote:
I'm guessing you've never owned a purse. LOL!

Yes, women's purses do wear out.
Yep. A purse wears out the same way luggage, backpacks, totes, etc. wear out...wear and tear from use. They get soiled, get cleaned, this may over time break down the construction. They take a beating if they are carried with frequency, have moving parts such as hinges on straps, clasps, zippers, etc. that will wear down with use.

Women who maintain a large selection of bags and swap them out frequently will take longer to wear out a purse than women who buy a purse, use it till it's beaten up, then replace it.

Quote:
No, they don't always go out of fashion, if they're in classic styles and materials.
No, $30 purses don't last forever. Cheap materials break down and come apart, regardless of how much you carry in it.
Really, cheap materials break down and come apart, regardless of how high a price tag a designer puts on a bag. Expensive bags are definitely not always quality bags.

Old 03-10-2015, 12:03 PM

11,168 posts, read 8,005,696 times
The wife probably buys at thrift stores to keep from being set upon by a cheapskate

Old 03-10-2015, 12:23 PM

29,664 posts, read 14,769,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post

Really, cheap materials break down and come apart, regardless of how high a price tag a designer puts on a bag. Expensive bags are definitely not always quality bags.
Few people seem to understand this. Now a quality bad won't be cheap either. Several years ago my wife wanted a small clutch, something unique. I ended up spending roughly $100 , on a 102 year old Swiss made leather bag. Yes ,102 years old. That is quality.
I'm sure my SBL satchel and Marlondo duffle will last the rest of my lifetime and then some, but they weren't cheap.

Old 03-10-2015, 12:46 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,149,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney123 View Post
The wife probably buys at thrift stores to keep from being set upon by a cheapskate
It is one thing to be thrifty but cheap is horrible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty