Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2015, 06:05 AM

17,155 posts, read 12,977,188 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by D217 View Post
I prefer the slouchy ones made from softer materials. I'm more visually drawn to interesting or unique pattens, colors, and textures.. I don't like purses that look and feel like luggage.
Me too. I don't like the crossbody style. Crossbodies make me feel like a snake is wrapping its way around my torso and about to suffocate me. I also don't like them to be deep, dark pits. I can't find anything in those. Most of my purses are slouchy smaller hobos or satchels. I've tried many times to go smaller on the purse size, but it doesn't work. I just need too much stuff wherever I go, and if I go smaller, I'm always missing something important. I can't figure out how guys get away with just a wallet

The only small purses I have are a couple of wristlets. I use the wristlets when I'm going to eat at a buffet or to a nightclub. In those cases, I don't want to forget my purse when I'm getting up and sitting down repeatedly. On the larger purses, I have to have an adjustable shoulder strap because I'm short. I don't like just handles, and that seems to be the style now.

I get my purses custom made for me, usually on Etsy. I like having beautiful one-of-a-kind, handmade things, and then I can get them exactly the way I like. Interestingly, it's not any more expensive getting them made like that, and then I don't have a purse like millions of others. But it does take time. I'm a patient sort though, and the wait for a one-of-a-kind purse is worth it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2015, 06:33 AM

4,978 posts, read 5,775,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
Me too. I don't like the crossbody style. Crossbodies make me feel like a snake is wrapping its way around my torso and about to suffocate me. I also don't like them to be deep, dark pits. I can't find anything in those. Most of my purses are slouchy smaller hobos or satchels. I've tried many times to go smaller on the purse size, but it doesn't work. I just need too much stuff wherever I go, and if I go smaller, I'm always missing something important. I can't figure out how guys get away with just a wallet

The only small purses I have are a couple of wristlets. I use the wristlets when I'm going to eat at a buffet or to a nightclub. In those cases, I don't want to forget my purse when I'm getting up and sitting down repeatedly. On the larger purses, I have to have an adjustable shoulder strap because I'm short. I don't like just handles, and that seems to be the style now.

I get my purses custom made for me, usually on Etsy. I like having beautiful one-of-a-kind, handmade things, and then I can get them exactly the way I like. Interestingly, it's not any more expensive getting them made like that, and then I don't have a purse like millions of others. But it does take time. I'm a patient sort though, and the wait for a one-of-a-kind purse is worth it.
Like what? I have never understood this. I take everything I need in a pocket. Drivers License, credit card, cell phone, car key. I never need anything else.

Old 02-02-2015, 07:57 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,906,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeachSalsa View Post
Like what? I have never understood this. I take everything I need in a pocket. Drivers License, credit card, cell phone, car key. I never need anything else.
This is the minimum for me:

Lip balm, hand lotion: i am very dry in general. Also lip gloss if i think pics will happen
Portable charger for my phone and the associated cables if i am out all day
The bare minimum number of keys if i am driving is 4: front door, apartment door, garage and car key. Inalso have a mailbox key and mailbox door key
Nail file
Vitamins

On a big purse day i add:
Kindle
Notepad
Mints or gum
Rollerball perfume
Scarf
Advil and there a few more toiletries in my cosmetics case

Old 02-02-2015, 10:07 AM

19,731 posts, read 20,276,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post

Exactly! I've been making purses for years. I have a few I patched together from upcycled denim (which is great for casually pairing w/ jeans). I like to scour thrift stores for purses - and those leather (pleather, whatever) straps are great for cutting off and incorcorating into & classing up new projects. I made purses this Christmas for my niece & sister out of really soft wool felt, in earthtones, and sewed in pockets + zippered compartments, too. ~ Unique & one of a kind items always carry an interesting energy!

Old 02-02-2015, 10:20 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,618,516 times
Quote:
I am a woman and I HATE HATE HATE purses! I put whatever I need into a pocket and go.
I wear a lot of dresses, which frequently don't come with pockets. But when I can get away with going without a purse, I do. My wedding gown had hidden pockets, which was awesome.

Old 02-02-2015, 11:00 AM

30,585 posts, read 25,194,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katie45 View Post
Same here!

And when you look at the majority of needless items in a purse, what's the point of carrying the purse around with you? Maybe some just like it as a fashion piece?
You know, you get to choose the purse you want to carry. If you don't need a bigger purse, or any sort of purse, then you should go minimal or purseless. But I usually carry sunglasses, small wallet, emergency makeup and asthma inhaler, keys, and tissues at the minimum. This winter I have been enjoying the ability to keep my wool hat and fleece gloves in my purse, instead of being stuffed in my coat pockets.

Those of us who choose larger purses generally do so for good reasons, especially if we have been carrying purses for for decades, because we know what works for us.

Old 02-02-2015, 11:04 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,385,633 times
I carry a black quilted wristlet that holds just my ID, money, and phone. Lip balm goes in my pocket. Sunglasses are permanently perched on top of my head, so I know where to find them, and my car remote/key clips to the side of the wallet.

Old 02-02-2015, 02:09 PM

4,978 posts, read 5,775,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post

Lip balm, hand lotion: i am very dry in general. Also lip gloss if i think pics will happen
The bare minimum number of keys if i am driving is 4: front door, apartment door, garage and car key. Inalso have a mailbox key and mailbox door key
Nail file
Vitamins

Kindle
Notepad
Mints or gum
Rollerball perfume
Scarf
Huh. OK. I keep lip balm in my car or winter jacket pocket. My phone keeps a charge all day, so I don't have to worry about that. I have my garage door opener in my car, so don't need a house key (besides, my doors all have keypads to enter code). No mailbox key. My nails are short short. I take my vitamins at home. Gum is in car and at desk at work. Rarely take Advil. Don't wear makeup.

Old 02-02-2015, 02:25 PM

17,155 posts, read 12,977,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post

Nail file
Vitamins

Kindle
Notepad
Mints or gum
Rollerball perfume
Scarf
Quote:
Huh. OK. I keep lip balm in my car or winter jacket pocket. My phone keeps a charge all day, so I don't have to worry about that. I have my garage door opener in my car, so don't need a house key (besides, my doors all have keypads to enter code). No mailbox key. My nails are short short. I take my vitamins at home. Gum is in car and at desk at work. Rarely take Advil. Don't wear makeup.
My sister does as you do, Peach, leaves stuff she would otherwise keep in a purse in the car. She has kids, and she has to tote that gargantuan diaper bag thing, so she doesn't use a purse on top of that, just the hard checkbook case with the handle for cards and cash. I don't like that method because I ride in my gf's truck quite frequently. Besides, what if I want whatever item and I'm in the house? I don't want to go back to the car for it. My purse contains at minimum:

Aquaphor
pens
scented lotion
mints
wallet
glasses case
phone
notepad
hairbrush
comb
hair ties
tons of receipts (I don't clean those out often enough)
several medications
coin purse
tampons (the poster after me reminded me lol)
sometimes I will shove my Kindle in there, but that's only if I plan on going somewhere where I think I will have to wait a long time.

Thus, a small/no purse doesn't do the job. I admire ladies who can get away with little/no purses.

Last edited by Scooby Snacks; 02-02-2015 at 02:47 PM..

Old 02-02-2015, 02:32 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,618,516 times
Quote:
I assume you don't menstruate?

The one time that purse/purse size becomes critical is when I have to carry tampons.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty