Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2015, 10:51 AM

102,246 posts, read 108,146,854 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahsez View Post
I had stirrup pants in the 80s which were a lot like leggings.
I remember stirrup pants! When they became popular, the older generation in my family said that's what they used to wear for skiing in the 60's--wool stirrup pants. Ski wear became mainstream street wear.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2015, 12:05 PM

1,220 posts, read 2,684,664 times
The worst fashion from my 80s school pics were my oversized glasses with plastic frames. I can deal with the acid wash jeans, stirrup pants, leg warmers, and even the cheesy headbands. But THOSE horrid plastic frames! Not flattering on anyone. WHY did we wear those??? horrid.

Old 01-10-2015, 12:23 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,693,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
I had legwarmers. So did most girls in my second grade class at the time. This was 1984-1985.
I guess I'm remembering mostly around '86-'89, the Debbie Gibson/Belinda Carlisle era. The "Lets Get Physical" thing was over by then.

Old 01-10-2015, 12:49 PM

784 posts, read 1,983,975 times
[quote=Felix C;37963744]

Ah, well the short shorts for men as worn by pro-tennis players then. Incredibly comfortable and far superior to the over-sized knee length stuff today. A big plus if one has handsome legs for a man as I do. Too many fat young people out there today and so they cover up their fattiness with sizes too large and long lengths on shorts. Did not see many fatties of my age back in the '80s in my travels.

The short shorts for men going away largely had to do with Homophobia and was carried forward by Michael Jordan and Hip Hop, probably unintentionally by the former. That being said, I miss that aspect of 80s fashion (though it is slowly coming back). I also remember baseball caps with mesh on the sides and back were popular, so were Champion sweatshirts (toward the end of the decade). I do remember headbands being popular in the early and middle part of the decade.

Old 01-10-2015, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffyfan View Post
The worst fashion from my 80s school pics were my oversized glasses with plastic frames. I can deal with the acid wash jeans, stirrup pants, leg warmers, and even the cheesy headbands. But THOSE horrid plastic frames! Not flattering on anyone. WHY did we wear those??? horrid.
But they're back! And they're even bigger and more horrid-looking! Extreme geeky/nerdy is cool, now! You go into an eyewear store, and half the frames are these awful, oversized, clutzy things. "Where are the sharp-looking styles", you might ask. They say, everything is geared for the youth market now. It doesn't matter that the population bulge is from 40 on up. Nobody cares about those consumers. Why? My money is just as good as some college student's, if not better. My credit card is less likely to be declined.

*sigh*

Old 01-10-2015, 02:18 PM

460 posts, read 1,006,564 times
I wore polo shirts with jeans and oxford shirts with chinos in the 80's. And 90's. And 00's. And today. I guess I am boring.

Old 01-10-2015, 02:47 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,652,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffyfan View Post
Glance at Warby Parker, Zenni Optical, or any other online frame retailer, and you'll see that oversized plastic frames are exactly what's currently being heavily maketed. I have a sampe tray from Warby Parker sitting on my coffee table right now, and one of the pairs is IDENTICAL to a pair I wore in my sixth grade class picture in 1988.

https://www.warbyparker.com/eyeglass.../saddle-russet

Old 01-10-2015, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Glance at Warby Parker, Zenni Optical, or any other online frame retailer, and you'll see that oversized plastic frames are exactly what's currently being heavily maketed. I have a sampe tray from Warby Parker sitting on my coffee table right now, and one of the pairs is IDENTICAL to a pair I wore in my sixth grade class picture in 1988.

https://www.warbyparker.com/eyeglass.../saddle-russet
I remember oversized frames from that era, but not these Buddy Holly-looking ones that are popular now. They were fashionable, and had very thin colored rims. Then from that, frames went to the opposite extreme: small enough rectangular frames that they looked like reading glasses.

Old 01-10-2015, 03:24 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,652,264 times
Seriously, the pair linked is virtually identical to my ones circa 1988-90. Large, "preppy" frames. My brother called them my "owl" glasses at the time.

Honestly, for my face shape, I'll take oversized frames over granny/Ben Franklin-style glasses. I have pictures from the early 2000s where I'm wearing small, rimless and metal rim glasses, and I'll take the larger, more prominent frame glasses any day.

Old 01-10-2015, 05:26 PM

9,238 posts, read 22,926,599 times
Ugh, I hated stirrup pants and refused to wear them. I hated how girls would wear them and have the knees stretched out--I used to call them "bellies in the knees."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty